Preview Lions 2019 Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Me too. I'm very positive about our future but it is extremely hard to get out of the mindset that we will start the year slowly again and the cycle will repeat.
All the media hype makes me nervous...
I don't think we will have a problem this year. Hodgy has already said that he doesn't want us to take any notice of the media hype. He will make sure we aren't too complacent. I reckon in previous year, Rocky, Hanley etc believed the media too much and just expected it to happen

I'll be happy with 8 or 9 wins and a few more close games.

I've said before, I don't see to many teams that finished above us as being significantly weaker than they were last season, except for possibly GWS, but they're still several tiers above us.

I am expecting us to finish above Gold Coast, Carlton and St Kilda. And maybe we leapfrog Fremantle and WB.

I've said before, I don't see to many teams that finished above us as being significantly weaker than they were last season, except for possibly GWS, but they're still several tiers above us.

I am expecting us to finish above Gold Coast, Carlton and St Kilda. And maybe we leapfrog Fremantle and WB.
I'm thinking we should be improved enough, plus the addition of some good on ballers we win a minimum of 10.
Injuries aside.
Our players should be experienced enough to not make those defensive errors that we made early last year which cost us games like Melbourne.
So if we are good enough to beat a team like Melbourne we should be good enough to win around ten games , plus hopefully.
Replace Beams with Neale in those early games and we win imo.
Not having a dig at Beams just my opinion.

I do think brissy have definitely improved since last season, by heaps. We should be able to outdo Freo and WB. I don't believe their teams have changed too much, correct me if I'm wrong by any means.

I'm thinking we should be improved enough, plus the addition of some good on ballers we win a minimum of 10.
Injuries aside.
Our players should be experienced enough to not make those defensive errors that we made early last year which cost us games like Melbourne.
So if we are good enough to beat a team like Melbourne we should be good enough to win around ten games , plus hopefully.
Replace Beams with Neale in those early games and we win imo.
Not having a dig at Beams just my opinion.
And bearing in mind Beams was a late out against Port and we would have won that if Bundy's last second kick had gone more than 25 metres. I would hope that with Neale and Lyons added to our midfield, injuries to key players aside, 10 wins is achievable.

Who stood out during intra-club? (Anthony Wingard)
Among the most notable changes during Friday’s intra-club game was the deployment of Zac Bailey to a half-back where his run and carry out of defence was a noticeable addition to the defensive unit.

The second-year Lion was thrown in a multitude of positions across the field throughout his debut season. After being drafted as a midfielder, Bailey played most of his 12 games at AFL level as a medium-sized forward but has found a new home at half-back across the summer.

“We feel that with his run and his ability to break lines we’d give him the opportunity down back,” Daly said. “If we have that guy off halfback that can just run and carry, it’s important for the team. “It’s been in the back of both the boss’s minds about potentially having a look at him at halfback.”

Previously, Bailey had gotten a small taste as life in the defensive 50 in Round 22 last season where he was thrown back after Alex Witherden went down in the first term with a hamstring injury.

Lewy Taylor was also given the opportunity to ply his craft higher up the ground where his speed on the outside combined well with the inside midfielders. Usually a forward, Taylor was pinpointed by Daly as one of the best players on the ground in the practice game.

“Squizzy Taylor had a fairly good game playing forward and a little bit more through the midfield than what he had in the past,” Daly said. “He was probably the one player that took my eye more than on the weekend, but it was a pretty solid effort from all of our players as well.”

Other notable performers from the intra-club game included Charlie Cameron, Eric Hipwood, Harris Andrews and Archie Smith.

The Lions will play a practice games against the Gold Coast SUNS at Metricon Stadium on Saturday, February 23 at 3:00pm AEST. Entry to the game is free.

I like the idea of Bailey coming out of the backline a lot, provided of course that he is being accountable and keeping his opponent quiet.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Only a couple on the list who may decline-

Luke Hodge (34 years old)- You'd be expecting him to transition out of the team this season anyway and go down from his 19 games last season. IMO we have him covered.

Stefan Martin (32)- Been great for us over the years, I don't expect him to decline much if at all, is a prodigious trainer and keeps himself in great shape. I'm bullish on the Big O.

Next in line is Dayne Zorko who just turned 30 last week and is right in the prime of his career IMO. Then we have Mitch Robinson and Matty Eagles as our only 29 year olds, Eagles will be solely depth cover and Mitch is eminently replaceable.

The players I expect to step up to another level this season are- Allen Christensen, Tom Cutler, Daniel McStay. Hugh McCluggage, Jarrod Berry and Alex Witherden have to a large degree exceeded expectations already and just need to continue their demonstrated upward trend.

Not expecting huge things but it would be fantastic if 1 or 2 of Zac Bailey, Cedric Cox and Jacob Allison provided some much needed run and carry.
I'd probably have Rayner in the category of players who could add a greater contribution in his second year.

I recon Hawthorn will go backwards.

For Hawthorn, I think a lot rides on whether O'Meara and Wingard can stay fit. If those two go down then they are really going to struggle in the midfield. Mitchell's injury leaves a big hole.

Or in Wingard's case, if he can get fit. Has a calf issue at the moment I think. They'll still be our bunnies this year. Last year their two losses to us kept them out of the top 4. This year it'll probably be the top 8.

Hopefully so... I'll be coming out to Australia this year and should be able to see the Hawks game at the Gabba. It's been quite a few years now since I saw us win live (quite a few losses...) so hopefully that'll break the streak.

Or in Wingard's case, if he can get fit. Has a calf issue at the moment I think. They'll still be our bunnies this year. Last year their two losses to us kept them out of the top 4. This year it'll probably be the top 8.
Hawks were actually top 4,kept them out of 2nd.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back