Preview Lions 2019 Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Even one trick ponies have their place in a team. I think we need to wait and see on Lyons.
Yeah exactly. I hope he exceeds expectations. Not saying it wasn’t worth a punt because it absolutely was but a clearance stat counts even if he kicks it to the umpire. I watched Rhys Palmer use his uncanny ability to find the footy turn into a liability for Freo because he was so ineffective with it. Just saying I’m taking a realistic approach to what he can offer us.

The increased importance of the centre bounce may count against Stef going forward too.
I feel like pure tap ruckmen may come back into vogue more because it's going to be harder to nullify any weakness in that area. Will be interesting to see how many teams still choose to play a token Griggs type second ruck because they could be really exploited. Kinda hoping Big O gets a few cracks at him this year!
Stef's coming off what was by far his best season as a pure ruckman though, and with Ryder declining and Nic Nat injured there isn't a ruck in the comp he won't at least break even with over 4 quarters.

Coach conundrums: We solve your position puzzlers
Harris Andrews: Named in the 40-man All Australian squad last year as a full-back but seriously being considered to start 2019 in the front half. A great overhead mark that could help take the load off Eric Hipwood but would it be robbing Peter to pay Paul?
Verdict: Forward

Zac Bailey: The second-year speedster played as a small forward for many of his 12 games last year, but Brisbane wants to add some dash to its backline and Bailey fits the bill. A move there could see Daniel Rich or Alex Witherden pushed to a wing for small stints.
Verdict: Half-back with small midfield minutes

Jarrod Berry: Groomed as an inside midfielder during his first two seasons, Berry could spend more time on a wing with his powerful running. Chris Fagan wants maxiumum flexibility with his midfield rotation, but the addition of Lachie Neale and Jarryd Lyons might see Berry utilised a little more away from the contest.
Verdict: Wing with stints as an inside mid.

Interesting re Berry and Andrews, particularly given how much inside info Mike Whiting has on the Lions.

Coach conundrums: We solve your position puzzlers

Interesting re Berry and Andrews, particularly given how much inside info Mike Whiting has on the Lions.
The biggest problem with moving Andrews forward is that for it to actually benefit the side he doesn't just need to improve on what McStay offers, he has to have an impact that would make up for his absence in the backline. If we use him as a full time forward we're backing him to kick 40+ goals in a role he has minimal experience in- that would be a massive show of faith.

The biggest problem with moving Andrews forward is that for it to actually benefit the side he doesn't just need to improve on what McStay offers, he has to have an impact that would make up for his absence in the backline. If we use him as a full time forward we're backing him to kick 40+ goals in a role he has minimal experience in- that would be a massive show of faith.
Was drafted as a forward. The role he has the least experience in is actually the backline where he excelled. Played his first few games as a forward under Leppa before being switched back.

Was drafted as a forward. The role he has the least experience in is actually the backline where he excelled. Played his first few games as a forward under Leppa before being switched back.
In 1 of his underage years, I believe he kicked something like 66 goals for the year as a forward.
He has a bit of an idea of how to play in the forward line.

Some footage of his first season including a few goals and the breakout game against Geelong (including Josh Walker)

Something I have heard through some players (Not from Brisbane) is that Ely Smith is really struggling to fit in up there. Honestly if this is true I am not surprised seems to be a very serious human and the rest of the playing group seem to be out there and love having a laugh. On a positive note I have heard with what limited training Tom Joyce has done, he is going to be a freak. Was meant to be a top 10-20 prospect before he got injured.

Something I have heard through some players (Not from Brisbane) is that Ely Smith is really struggling to fit in up there. Honestly if this is true I am not surprised seems to be a very serious human and the rest of the playing group seem to be out there and love having a laugh. On a positive note I have heard with what limited training Tom Joyce has done, he is going to be a freak. Was meant to be a top 10-20 prospect before he got injured.

Something tells me that Ely might not be the right fit for any club outside of Collingwood if he is too serious. Every club out there needs to have fun, even at the worst of times. Hope he does end up fitting in though, I want to see him bulldoze people for the next few years. Maybe Fagan and use some of that magic of his to help the kid.

Nice to hear something about Joyce for a change too, don't hear enough stuff about him compared to the other new additions in the team.

Seeing how Ely is being talked about for not fitting in etc......A few weeks ago I was told by a family member of a player that Ely was at a function approx xmas time, picked up a lady who happened to be the ex of one of our very important players......and some of the other players weren't happy about it and at that stage the club wasn't aware of it.

If this is true or even close to it, then may explain why he isn't fitting in.

Seeing how Ely is being talked about for not fitting in etc......A few weeks ago I was told by a family member of a player that Ely was at a function approx xmas time, picked up a lady who happened to be the ex of one of our very important players......and some of the other players weren't happy about it and at that stage the club wasn't aware of it.

If this is true or even close to it, then may explain why he isn't fitting in.

By the sounds of it the club is aware of it now. Did this family member know what was being done about it from the club's end?

Oh yeah I know that. Just not sure there's a lot to go on though, these kinds of moves rarely result in the defender being as good forward as they were in the backline.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He was extremely depressed draft night. Quite clear he didn't want to come here.

I can't say I saw him cutting himself or anything when I met him on the night. He came across as not the most talkative of people but that's quite different from extremely depressed.

We need to be careful drafting introverted serious guys. I assume we have a psychologist on staff

Funnily enough Brisbane would be great for a lot of introverted players. Not having people recognize and harass you constantly is a massive benefit if you want to be left alone. Introverted is not the same as needing to be around family, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back