Preview Lions 2019 Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
On the afl website, player stats. It will give a top 5 in each position, eg, sm/med defender, midfielder, sm fwd etc, as well as an overall player ranking. . Harris andrews ranks 2nd or third tall defender in the competition. Rich is/was last time i checked ranked 82 overall in the comp, inside the top 10% of listed/ rookied players. With zorko, andrews, martin and beams the only other lions players ranked above him.

Thanks for that. Can't find the stats on the AFL website; anyway you quoted a source, so I'll take you on your word.
That being the case, I must be suffering from "ill founded opinionitis due to my chronic expectationitis". Apologies.

Last edited:
Thanks for that. Can't find the stats on the AFL website; anyway you quoted a source, so I'll take you on your word.
That being the case, I must be suffering from "ill founded opinionitis due to my chronic expectationitis". Will talk to my GP about it. Apologies.

See here.

SMALL-MEDIUM DEFENDERS
Jack Crisp
Collingwood
Trend:

NO_CHANGE
2 Jeremy Howe

NO_CHANGE 440.9
3 Shannon Hurn

NO_CHANGE 426.3
4 Daniel Rich

NO_CHANGE 411.1
5 Rory Laird

NO_CHANGE

Last edited:

That being the case, I must be suffering from "ill founded opinionitis due to my chronic expectationitis". Will talk to my GP about it. Apologies.
I do appreciate the criticisms you have of rich and i do think we have expectations that he hasnt met. I see his career split in two by his long term knee injury. Pre injury he had only to learn how to shake/use a tag to become an elite outside midfielder. So we feel a bit ripped off that never eventuated. Since his injury he has played predominantly in defence, a position new to him and surrounded by young and inexperienced team mates. Early you could see him caught between going hard at his man or backing off a bit incase he needs to support a kid. As his team mates have grown and he has had more confidence in them to cover their own man, richs game has got much much better. Still much to learn in defence but its getting much better. He has the best to learn from. I think the best is yet to come from rich. The back 6 general when hodge finishes. He is certainly capable of costly clangers, and we should probably expect some more with the changes to the behind kick in rules, some confusion going to happen there for sure, and i dont think his left boot is as long as it was. But he is still a respected senior member of the squad valuable on and off the field for a good 3 to 4 yrs yet.

I do appreciate the criticisms you have of rich and i do think we have expectations that he hasnt met. I see his career split in two by his long term knee injury. Pre injury he had only to learn how to shake/use a tag to become an elite outside midfielder. So we feel a bit ripped off that never eventuated. Since his injury he has played predominantly in defence, a position new to him and surrounded by young and inexperienced team mates. Early you could see him caught between going hard at his man or backing off a bit incase he needs to support a kid. As his team mates have grown and he has had more confidence in them to cover their own man, richs game has got much much better. Still much to learn in defence but its getting much better. He has the best to learn from. I think the best is yet to come from rich. The back 6 general when hodge finishes. He is certainly capable of costly clangers, and we should probably expect some more with the changes to the behind kick in rules, some confusion going to happen there for sure, and i dont think his left boot is as long as it was. But he is still a respected senior member of the squad valuable on and off the field for a good 3 to 4 yrs yet.

You make many valid points in Rich's favour. More thanks to you. I love Daniel Rich being a Lion again. It's not fair that he has been a bit of a whipping boy. As I've said before, imo, there would no more deserving player to enjoy on field success with the Lions than D.Rich.

I do appreciate the criticisms you have of rich and i do think we have expectations that he hasnt met.
It has a name, Expectationitis. It's a fact he rated higher than Laird from the Crows in 2018 whilst settling into a new role. That's actually a huge accomplishment. If he holds that status he's great value. He may even improve on that next year ........ Oh no, I've had a slight re-occurrence of Expectationitis.

I thought Rich was one of our most improved defensively this season. He worked really hard going back and was pretty good one on one. Felt like his marking was better as well. Having said that I wouldn't be surprised if he was managing a high hamstring/lower glute issue for much of the season. Seemed really hesitant to really hoist the ball and when he did have a go lacked his previous penetration. Hopefully if it was the case he can get on top of it over the off season.

He certainly does deserve a lot of respect. He has been extremely loyal. I'd love to see him win finals. He's the longest serving Lions player on the list. IMO, more than any player on the list, he DESERVES to taste success with the Lions ?

He has in fact featured in our most recent win in a final......and kicked a bomb in the last quarter

Who could ever forget THAT win

He has in fact featured in our most recent win in a final......and kicked a bomb in the last quarter

Who could ever forget THAT win

I wonder if the three-peat team ever played in front of a Gabba crowd as loud as that one. Would have been an amazing game to be at.. :(

I wonder if the three-peat team ever played in front of a Gabba crowd as loud as that one. Would have been an amazing game to be at.. :(
I was there having lived in Brisbane for two years in 09-10. Saw the best (an amazing 09 season, seeing us play in every Brisbane, Melbourne and Perth game and our win against the Hawks in Tassie, but that crowd and win was something I've never witnessed before (truly electric)) and worst of the club (Fev, introduction of the Paddlepop etc.) in that two years.

Good memories though.

I am mentally preparing for the worst on the injury front for next year, I acknowledge we got very lucky in 2018 in that regard.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I made it to at least one final back then, against Adelaide. I just remember it being loud and intense despite the game being a bit of a walkover.

Might be a bit premature but when does the merch usually go on sale for the next year? I'm getting too excited and wouldn't mind getting the young fella his first jersey for Christmas while I'm treating myself.

Bradshaw kicked 5, then voss forced him out the door... I know nobody is bigger than the team but that trading period was a culture killer for us
As has been mentioned before around here, he had a contract offered to him prior to the trade period that he hadn't signed because he wanted more years. He took a three year contract with Sydney and ended up playing 9 games in his first year and then nothing after that. And Bradshaw was always playing those types of games around contract renewal time. We tried to get value out of a guy that wasn't willing to sign on and whose body was close to being cooked in any case.

Bradshaw kicked 5, then voss forced him out the door... I know nobody is bigger than the team but that trading period was a culture killer for us
It was dark times indeed for the club. Bradshaw was shot at the time, he coolant bend over anymore. He had tried to become a builder and started as a carpenter but gave that up his back was stuffed. He went off to Sydney and played about 6 games he was just getting too many injuries. I loved him as a player and what a set of Guns. Fevola, other than the head case effect, was the right replacement, he could get goals from crumbing his own ball and was worth 2 more goals a game to us. The other thing was Fevola's natural running parent was up the other side of the ground to Browny so they should have worked well together. But alas Fev was a head case and we got the full brunt of that even starting in his first off season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back