Preview Lions 2019 Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Just curious Lazza, what's the rest? 12 wins doesn't make the 8... that's tough! 12 used to be a guaranteed finals berth.
What can I say Carter S.....I just picked the favorites as I saw them n that was the outcome.......I had us losing to Port at Port, Tigers,Cats n GWS which is probably likely and 7 wins against Carlton Saints Dees Suns North Hawks in Tassy n Bulldogs which is feasible in my eyes. Tiges to win 13 is probably questionable but they have some hard ones. I think the final eight was Cats Gws Weagles Woods Us Freeo port or adelaide(cant quite remember as I was just doing it to find out about us) and the tiges. 13 wins could be the go. Try it urself n see what u get.

Good on him; I was critical about a month ago but his form in the past 3-4 weeks has been solid and rarely beaten. Nice show of commitment by Alex.
I actually think he has been a bit down generally this season so far apart from one game where he had a blinder (Adelaide?). Don't think I've seen him play worse than he did against Freo. But still rapt to have him and is clearly going to be a jet for a long time.

The only thing that worries me is that I recall us doing pretty well in 2008 at one stage (in fact we were also 7-4 after Round 11), only to drop off and end up winning only 1 game in the last 7 rounds or thereabouts.

At this point we have an 80% chance of making the finals based on past seasons, but it's not unheard of for younger sides to drop off.

Any other differences between 2008 and today, more knowledgeable watchers?

Last edited:
The only thing that worries me is that I recall us doing pretty well in 2008 at one stage (in fact we were also 7-4 after Round 11), only to drop off and end up winning only 1 game in the last 7 rounds or thereabouts.

I think that Fagan is a better coach than Voss, and at this point we have an 80% chance of making the finals based on past seasons, but it's not unheard of for younger sides to drop off.

I think the group is far more even. After Brown, Black, Bradshaw and Power quality, especially through the midfield, tailed off pretty quickly. There’s still a fair bit of youth, but now it’s slightly less speculative.

I think that Fagan is a better coach than Voss, and at this point we have an 80% chance of making the finals based on past seasons, but it's not unheard of for younger sides to drop off.

Won 3 of the remaining 11 after round 11, and 1 of the last 6. Losses included a one pointer against wooden-spooner Melbourne.

Well for one thing Voss wasn't the coach in 2008, Leigh was in his last year.

We were a little unlucky in 2008 in that four of our losses in the back-half of the year were by eight points or less. Perhaps more relevant to this year is that our accuracy kicking for goal didn't help in some of those close games (13.14 vs 14.9, 16.18 vs 18.9, 11.18 vs 13.14, 16.13 vs 18.7). We were leading in a few of them too coming into the last too.

Well for one thing Voss wasn't the coach in 2008, Leigh was in his last year.

We were a little unlucky in 2008 in that four of our losses in the back-half of the year were by eight points or less. Perhaps more relevant to this year is that our accuracy kicking for goal didn't help in some of those close games (13.14 vs 14.9, 16.18 vs 18.9, 11.18 vs 13.14, 16.13 vs 18.7). We were leading in a few of them too coming into the last too.

My bad; edited.

I do remember thinking by that point that Leigh had done pretty much everything he could do with the Lions. It was time for a change.

Caro reporting Hodges manager currently in Brissy. Fagan didn't totally rule out a 3rd year playing when speaking on SEN yesterday, said 'his body feels good'. However Caro said he will retire. Family will remain is Brisbane and he will take up a part-time devalopmemt role at the club whilst pursuing media in 2020. TBH, I wanted him on as a full time assistant, but my guess is that will come in time will just want a year off and continue his media apprenticeship . Would love a 3 year succession plan under Fages.

I think the group is far more even. After Brown, Black, Bradshaw and Power quality, especially through the midfield, tailed off pretty quickly. There’s still a fair bit of youth, but now it’s slightly less speculative.

Our 2008 side was like the Hawks now - papering over the cracks. We seem to have had a few more superstars still around though. Hawks still have Burgoyne and ?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

some amazing stats I saw last night.

We are no longer a run and gun, corridor team. we are 18th in the league for hand balling (playing on) after a mark, last year we were 6th.

We are now I think 2nd, in the league for use of the boundary.

Inline with that, I think the top 6 teams are all boundary line teams, whilst the Bombers and others who are using the Dogs style of run and gun, handballing chains, are finding life tough.

Remarkable effort by the coaches and players to not only identify a trend, but to successfully implement a change of game style on the run through the first half of the season. It really goes to show maturity in the playing group and that we don't need a 'simple' game plan anymore.

Also, Fagan was criticized as being a poor game day coach. I am very sorry, but from hat I can asses he is a great game day coach (along with assistants). He has us switch between man on man and zone when required. Has moved players successfully to new positions and often makes successful adjustments (like last week) to stop games falling apart. How many times have we come out after a break and turned it around this year?

On top of the game day stuff, our coaches need to be applauded for identifying that time was sun setting on the corridor style of play, and moving toward the boundary again (scores from turnovers were getting to big to ignore).

The beauty of our positions is. We learnt and improved defense whilst attacking and scoring over the last 2 years (nearly impossible, look at Gold coast and Carlton). So now we can score and defend. But we also have the luxury of reverting to a safer mode of play and executing it well along the boundary, however, we are still comfortable in the corridor if and when it opens up.

Truely remarkable coaching performance to have us as such a well rounded young team, being able to switch between game styles when required.

Oh and to top it off, we are the best pressure side in the comp over the last 4 weeks.

Really love that Hodge loves Brissy enough to stay in the city after he retires. Come along way from the get met out of Brisbane asap mentality.

from what I can gage, his wife loves the Brissy lifestyle, I think Hodge would go back an entrench himself at Hawthorn if she wasn't here nor there, but he made specific mention several times of his wife preferring the laid back life style and warm weather. They have picked a school for the kids and are involved in a local AFL club already. I was also talking to a Puma rep that deals with him and he said he loves it up there, especially the golf courses and aint going anywhere. Plus Leigh would have shown him that you can be part of the channel 7 team and live up there just fine.

from what I can gage, his wife loves the Brissy lifestyle, I think Hodge would go back an entrench himself at Hawthorn if she wasn't here nor there, but he made specific mention several times of his wife preferring the laid back life style and warm weather. They have picked a school for the kids and are involved in a local AFL club already. I was also talking to a Puma rep that deals with him and he said he loves it up there, especially the golf courses and aint going anywhere. Plus Leigh would have shown him that you can be part of the channel 7 team and live up there just fine.
Would be also good in proving that you can have a media career based in Brisbane as you say, because that a main reason why Brisbane unappealing.. Mate of mine sees him at the golf course at Indro a fair bit and says he is horrible lol

One or two of his boys go to my friends school and they were at a school bday party recently. I think there is a massive appeal that they are just known up here as their kids parents rather than Luke Hodge the footy player and Luke hodge's wife which i'm sure they would have gotten a bit in melbourne. My mate had a good chat to him about a whole bunch of stuff but none if it was footy related at all. I can imagine the appeal in having that circuit breaker where you can just be a parent at a school party and can just talk normally like you would with any other parent.

One or two of his boys go to my friends school and they were at a school bday party recently. I think there is a massive appeal that they are just known up here as their kids parents rather than Luke Hodge the footy player and Luke hodge's wife which i'm sure they would have gotten a bit in melbourne. My mate had a good chat to him about a whole bunch of stuff but none if it was footy related at all. I can imagine the appeal in having that circuit breaker where you can just be a parent at a school party and can just talk normally like you would with any other parent.
I'm sure Patrick Cripps would enjoy the anonymity as well.

some amazing stats I saw last night.

We are no longer a run and gun, corridor team. we are 18th in the league for hand balling (playing on) after a mark, last year we were 6th.

We are now I think 2nd, in the league for use of the boundary.

Inline with that, I think the top 6 teams are all boundary line teams, whilst the Bombers and others who are using the Dogs style of run and gun, handballing chains, are finding life tough.

Remarkable effort by the coaches and players to not only identify a trend, but to successfully implement a change of game style on the run through the first half of the season. It really goes to show maturity in the playing group and that we don't need a 'simple' game plan anymore.

Also, Fagan was criticized as being a poor game day coach. I am very sorry, but from hat I can asses he is a great game day coach (along with assistants). He has us switch between man on man and zone when required. Has moved players successfully to new positions and often makes successful adjustments (like last week) to stop games falling apart. How many times have we come out after a break and turned it around this year?

On top of the game day stuff, our coaches need to be applauded for identifying that time was sun setting on the corridor style of play, and moving toward the boundary again (scores from turnovers were getting to big to ignore).

The beauty of our positions is. We learnt and improved defense whilst attacking and scoring over the last 2 years (nearly impossible, look at Gold coast and Carlton). So now we can score and defend. But we also have the luxury of reverting to a safer mode of play and executing it well along the boundary, however, we are still comfortable in the corridor if and when it opens up.

Truely remarkable coaching performance to have us as such a well rounded young team, being able to switch between game styles when required.

Oh and to top it off, we are the best pressure side in the comp over the last 4 weeks.
If you look at history once a certain style becomes successful they'll all want to do it so we should be able to use our first mover advantage to modify our style as conditions suit whilst all of the rest play catch up trying to use the boundary.

It's funny how styles evolve. Barassi used the handball at all costs tactic because he had no cards left to play when they were getting thumped in a GF and within a couple of years backlines that had never handballed once in their life were all doing it.

Having the gamestyle/plan is fine but you still have to have the cattle to do it and the fact that we are able be one of the first to be able to successfully implement a new plan to a certain extent bodes well for when we have to modify it , which can occur over time or for periods during games

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back