Preview Lions 2019 Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Parked it for the rest of the season.

Won’t disrupt the NEAFL team, and can formally request a trade at end of season.

Doesn’t risk any further injury, which his new club will be happy about.

Which Vic clubs need outside run? Melbourne and St Kilda. Any other potential suitors?

Cutler for Acres sounds good.

Having said go for the 4th -

Neale wants to win multiple Brownlows, as evidenced by him employing a mentor to 'go to the next level'. He chose us because he believed this bunch of players would afford him that opportunity because they were about to start winning. And when making his decision he would have looked closely at out youth - hipwood, Andrews, Mc luggage, Rayner, berry etc. You can't trade in enough talent, you have to take a punt on the potential of drafted talented kids coming good. So we need to drop down the ladder to get access to them.

The obvious critical components also needed are an ability to pick great kids, judicious selection of traded in players to support them, ability to develop talent and creating a club environment that keeps players loyal and keen.

Which are all very difficult in their own way, and to my mind the things that can't be sacrificed in an attempt at a fourth run at the flag.

I have no doubt that there are other quality free agents asking about coming to the lions at the end of this year.
Who are the quality free agents in the right age bracket though if you don't include Coniglio who seems certain to stay or return to Vic? On my reckoning the only possibles would be Sam Day, Brandon Ellis, Stephen Hill, Adam Tomlinson, Alex Sexton, Jamie Elliott, Harry Cunningham, Tory Dickson.

Who are the quality free agents in the right age bracket though if you don't include Coniglio who seems certain to stay or return to Vic? On my reckoning the only possibles would be Sam Day, Brandon Ellis, Stephen Hill, Adam Tomlinson, Alex Sexton, Jamie Elliott, Harry Cunningham, Tory Dickson.

No idea on free agents - I'm not a follower of such things. But I do know that in a rip through it podcast Mitch did say he was talking to a big name about it. Could have been him chatting with a friend.

No idea on free agents - I'm not a follower of such things. But I do know that in a rip through it podcast Mitch did say he was talking to a big name about it. Could have been him chatting with a friend.
He's close with Brad Hill... I honestly wouldn't be surprised if Hill is a Lion next year. Has a relationship with Fagan, Hodge, Neale, Robinson and Charlie.

He's close with Brad Hill... I honestly wouldn't be surprised if Hill is a Lion next year. Has a relationship with Fagan, Hodge, Neale, Robinson and Charlie.
Well wouldn't that be something. But costly you would think.

tenor.gif

Will Hodgey go on in 2020? Personally I'd like to see Hodgey finish up this year and concentrate on off field roles with us, time for us to stand on our own 2 feet.

https://www.afl.com.au/news/2019-07...p-hodge-could-play-on-despite-2017-retirement

LUKE Hodge could play on in 2020.

The four-time premiership star said on Friday he would be with Brisbane next season "without a shadow of a doubt" and had not ruled out pulling the boots on again.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Will Hodgey go on in 2020? Personally I'd like to see Hodgey finish up this year and concentrate on off field roles with us, time for us to stand on our own 2 feet.

https://www.afl.com.au/news/2019-07...p-hodge-could-play-on-despite-2017-retirement

The four-time premiership star said on Friday he would be with Brisbane next season "without a shadow of a doubt" and had not ruled out pulling the boots on again.
Yeah, not entirely sure how I feel about that...

"IF" we were to win the flag I've got little doubt he would then hang up the playing boots.

Im happy with Hodge sticking round, although a part of me is concerned he could be holding back his replacement one year too long. BUT, I think we might see him play fewer games if he does strap in for one more year.
If he does, and his form drops, is he going to be able to be dropped to the NEAFL? If the answer is no, maybe he should go, so that we can at least fill his list spot.

If he does, and his form drops, is he going to be able to be dropped to the NEAFL? If the answer is no, maybe he should go, so that we can at least fill his list spot.

Depends I guess if we have anyone eyed up to FILL said spot I spose.

Equally arguable that if he was injured for say, a month or so, hes just wasting a spot, as opposed to going to the NEAFL if his form drops.

hodge's clear and vocal love of the Brisbane lifestyle is about the best advertisement for free agents who are thinking of trading, especially if they have kids.

Depends I guess if we have anyone eyed up to FILL said spot I spose.

Equally arguable that if he was injured for say, a month or so, hes just wasting a spot, as opposed to going to the NEAFL if his form drops.

Lester or Starcevich will grab that spot of Hodge retires

Imagine being a NEAFL player and finding yourself lining up against Luke Hodge :eek:

Great initiative by the Lions - this Sunday all players will umpire an AFL QLD community club game.

All junior games and is going to be great! Heading down to Morningside in the morning to have a laugh.

So using the assuming we keep winning / aiming to maximise our final position rather than aiming for keeping ourselves in the eight ...

Guessing we are barracking this week for
- Port over Tigers (not happening by the looks of it)
- Giants over Pies
- Hawks over Cats
- Demons over Eagles

with the other results not germane

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back