Preview Lions 2019 Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think we are entering an interesting season next year. Arguably most clubs are stronger, on paper at least, than this year and I suspect that the standard required to make finals will be higher.

In that environment we are going to need to move up within a general frame of upward movement by clubs in the bottom half. That will be tough to do but certainly not impossible. There will be a few clubs who slide as the season wears on but I think we will have to really earn every win in four quarters, especially because we have probably reached ‘danger game’ status for most other clubs - games against us will be treated as ones they should still win and can’t afford to lose if they hope to make finals. But we won’t be a surprise anymore.

Clubs are going to come at us fully prepared and focussed in ways they haven’t needed to until recently. Up until this season most clubs with finals aspirations knew they could blow us away for a quarter or less and then cruise to victory, or better yet, pile on points and build their percentage. Those days are, hopefully, gone.

The challenge for us now is to go up to the level where we win the close ones. We have the talent, we need the toughness and endurance to build so we can respond to those three and four goal surges that other clubs have hit us with.

Eight wins would be great. Any more than that would be excellent, and if we can get to 12 wins then I think we will have over-achieved given our list experience.

I think we are entering an interesting season next year. Arguably most clubs are stronger, on paper at least, than this year and I suspect that the standard required to make finals will be higher.

In that environment we are going to need to move up within a general frame of upward movement by clubs in the bottom half. That will be tough to do but certainly not impossible. There will be a few clubs who slide as the season wears on but I think we will have to really earn every win in four quarters, especially because we have probably reached ‘danger game’ status for most other clubs - games against us will be treated as ones they should still win and can’t afford to lose if they hope to make finals. But we won’t be a surprise anymore.

Clubs are going to come at us fully prepared and focussed in ways they haven’t needed to until recently. Up until this season most clubs with finals aspirations knew they could blow us away for a quarter or less and then cruise to victory, or better yet, pile on points and build their percentage. Those days are, hopefully, gone.

The challenge for us now is to go up to the level where we win the close ones. We have the talent, we need the toughness and endurance to build so we can respond to those three and four goal surges that other clubs have hit us with.

Eight wins would be great. Any more than that would be excellent, and if we can get to 12 wins then I think we will have over-achieved given our list experience.
Great post, and sums up what I have been thinking.

Apart from GWS and GC, I'm struggling to think of a team that didn't improve their senior roster in some fashion during the trade period.

We expect improvement to come from within, and for our improving youngsters to drive our climb up the ladder. Well there are supporters of 17 other teams who are expecting the same of their developing kids or traded in senior players.

I have an expectation of finishing above Carlton, Gold Coast and St Kilda, after those three teams, I think were in a proper fight to climb over other clubs.

Great post, and sums up what I have been thinking.

Apart from GWS and GC, I'm struggling to think of a team that didn't improve their senior roster in some fashion during the trade period.

We expect improvement to come from within, and for our improving youngsters to drive our climb up the ladder. Well there are supporters of 17 other teams who are expecting the same of their developing kids or traded in senior players.

I have an expectation of finishing above Carlton, Gold Coast and St Kilda, after those three teams, I think were in a proper fight to climb over other clubs.

Port and Crows? Surely you couldn’t argue they strengthened their lists?

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Port and Crows? Surely you couldn’t argue they strengthened their lists?

I reckon Crows list will be strengthened next year, albeit from guys already on their list. Brad Crouch didn't play at all, Brodie Smith only the two games and Sloane missed half a season. Full season from those three, ready to go mature small forward to replace Cameron in McAdam and their draw is really great. I think they're in store for a very good year and could be back a top 4 team again.

I reckon Crows list will be strengthened next year, albeit from guys already on their list. Brad Crouch didn't play at all, Brodie Smith only the two games and Sloane missed half a season. Full season from those three, ready to go mature small forward to replace Cameron in McAdam and their draw is really great. I think they're in store for a very good year and could be back a top 4 team again.
I'd expect a possible improvement from PA with their 2017 trade ins having had a year to settle in and find their feet, and they'll play two rucks with the addition of Lycett to go with Ryder. Burton from Hawthorn adds to their defence, and draftee Connor Rozee is a very good replacement for Wingard.

Both teams have young, 2nd year players that will be pushing for best 22 selection this year, and they both drafted well, though top 10 draftee Connor Rozee at Port is the only likely draftee to start in the best 22.

I don’t disagree with that at all. The remarks I responded to where all teams bar a couple had strengthened their lists in the offseason. My argument is the Crows haven’t. They may be stronger through player availability, but not through an improved list.

I'd expect a possible improvement from PA with their 2017 trade ins having had a year to settle in and find their feet, and they'll play two rucks with the addition of Lycett to go with Ryder. Burton from Hawthorn adds to their defence, and draftee Connor Rozee is a very good replacement for Wingard.

Both teams have young, 2nd year players that will be pushing for best 22 selection this year, and they both drafted well, though top 10 draftee Connor Rozee at Port is the only likely draftee to start in the best 22.

Whilst I agree with this, it’s not consistent with the basis of your statement above.

The fact that almost every team is stronger even the rebuilding ones leads me to hope the quality of football in 2019 will be far better. I look forward to it I feel like bad teams just drag the rest of the competition.

Hi folks, please excuse the intrusion.
I am in a keeper league and have a lot of Brisbane players. I have a question in relation to Tom Cutler.
What are the primary and secondary positions he plays please. I need to set his position for the competition.
Cheers.

I am in a keeper league and have a lot of Brisbane players. I have a question in relation to Tom Cutler.
What are the primary and secondary positions he plays please. I need to set his position for the competition.
Cheers.
Probably will spend most of his time off half back with the rest on the wing.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Cheers.

Wing primary and down back secondary

No reason that we shouldnt. Youth will be better, depth has increased. We had a lot of close winable games last season, and i think that experience will harden the group and we will start converting those games to wins.

Especially at the Gabba. Gotta win 2/3 games at home.

No reason that we shouldnt. Youth will be better, depth has increased. We had a lot of close winable games last season, and i think that experience will harden the group and we will start converting those games to wins.

Especially at the Gabba. Gotta win 2/3 games at home.
Have to think, if we’re to win 10 games, going to have to win 6 or 7 at home.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back