Preview Lions 2019 Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

If we can play like we do in the last half of the year, then I think we can make the 8. Fages just has to figure out what the issue is that's stopping us from going all out, all the time.

Yeah I’m surprised everyone isn’t so bullish about next season. We lost 5 (?) games under 10 points last year. I’m hoping for 8-12th at a minimum, but then again I am usually overly optimistic.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
Lions to make the Finals. Load up.

This has probably already been stated, but this is a huge year for Lewis Taylor. He is almost the make or break story of 2019. If Taylor can turn himself into a 30 plus possession midfielder or a 35-50 goal forward then our team is going to improve significantly. If he can't, then his spot will be consumed by a number of other options and he will be playing 2's footy for the first time in his career. I am going to back Lewy in!

This has probably already been stated, but this is a huge year for Lewis Taylor. He is almost the make or break story of 2019. If Taylor can turn himself into a 30 plus possession midfielder or a 35-50 goal forward then our team is going to improve significantly. If he can't, then his spot will be consumed by a number of other options and he will be playing 2's footy for the first time in his career. I am going to back Lewy in!

0% chance of him doing either. Can't see him in the best 22 in a couple of years time

I can see Lewy being in and out of the best 22 for the new few years, I don't think he'll be taken out completely, but I can't see him achieving either of those. Taylor is a good shot on goal and is a good connector player, outside of that he's not a possession beast and not a 35+ goal kicker. Happy to be proven wrong, don't see either of those happening though.

So unless he is either top 7 in possessions or between 8th and 20th on the goalkickers list then he will be in the reserves??

He won't get to either mark I hate to say and I like Lewy Taylor. Considering he hasn't missed a game in the last 2 years I think you're off base.

Yes he needs to improve but that can be said of most of the list. You're expecting exponential improvement for a guy who is never going to average 30 touches or 2 to 2.5 goals a game.

I love your positivity, we desperately need more goals.
21 goals is his best return in 5 seasons & his best Disposal av. for a season is 20.9 Can he improve on his best by 50%? He's now in his last year of a reported 3yr/$1.2mil deal. As a small fwd $20k per goal is expensive. I'm tipping this is his last year as a Lion.
In horse racing terms, he simply hasn't trained on from being a very promising 2.y.o & could well benefit from a change of scenery.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think if Lewy can average 20 to 22 possessions and kick 1.2 goals a game then he is going ok as a small forward.
It would take others to step up to take his spot.
Lincoln McCarthy is one that comes to mind that could immediately be pushing for his position if he has a really strong pre-season.
Others would be Zac Bailey and Starc.
But Fagan has said that he wants a lot of blokes to be able to role through the forward line. So I don’t think we want one stand out, there will be many needing to contribute each week.

I love your positivity, we desperately need more goals.
21 goals is his best return in 5 seasons & his best Disposal av. for a season is 20.9 Can he improve on his best by 50%? He's now in his last year of a reported 3yr/$1.2mil deal. As a small fwd $20k per goal is expensive. I'm tipping this is his last year as a Lion.
In horse racing terms, he simply hasn't trained on from being a very promising 2.y.o & could well benefit from a change of scenery.
Maybe try him with blinkers next year. Don't think he would appreciate the OTHER option using the horse racing analogy.

IMO Lewy Taylor is an under rated contributor to our team structure, he is not your classical small forward type ah la Eddie Betts/Cyril Rioli. Lewy is a link up player who runs his bloody arse off to provide an option coming out of defense and he does that very well.

He's a between the arcs player who spends time up forward. I don't think new boy Lincoln McCarthy could play that sort of role just yet.

IMO Lewy Taylor is an under rated contributor to our team structure, he is not your classical small forward type ah la Eddie Betts/Cyril Rioli. Lewy is a link up player who runs his bloody arse off to provide an option coming out of defense and he does that very well.

He's a between the arcs player who spends time up forward. I don't think new boy Lincoln McCarthy could play that sort of role just yet.

His B&F result this year would suggest the coaches didn't really rate his season.

What's the other option? The knackery?
Nah, he's legs are ok, no tendon issues. 107 starts out of a possible 110. He's an IRON HORSE!! The lad is only 24 in January. Isn't there going to be a Winter Sale this year? The Crows need a small fwd. We might be able to find a way to get our hands on the No.1 pick that they're getting from Carlton.

Also has a high DE - 76% and averages 5.2 score involvements per game

So unless he is either top 7 in possessions or between 8th and 20th on the goalkickers list then he will be in the reserves??

He won't get to either mark I hate to say and I like Lewy Taylor. Considering he hasn't missed a game in the last 2 years I think you're off base.

Yes he needs to improve but that can be said of most of the list. You're expecting exponential improvement for a guy who is never going to average 30 touches or 2 to 2.5 goals a game.
What are you trying to say?

5.2 score involvements per game
jackess has previously stated 5.2 involvements is nothing flash for a small fwd & she's right.
What's nice is that we can have these types of conversations because our list is so deep. We are no longer the Ugly Duckling Club who kisses the bum of anyone who shows interest in us. Apart from finances, as a Club, we are strong, we are smart & we are going places ..... fast. I'm with 3KZ on this one & say get on. I'm going to give the the $14 for top 4 a tickle. We did it in 1999 ;)
Merry Xmas to all.

Last edited:
jackess has previously stated 5.2 involvements is nothing flash for a small fwd & she's right.
What's nice is that we can have these types of conversations because our list is so deep. We are no longer the Ugly Duckling Club who kisses the bum of anyone who shows interest in us. Apart from finances, as a Club, we are strong, we are smart & we are going places ..... fast. I'm with 3KZ on this one & say get on. I'm going to give the the $14 for top 4 a tickle. We did it in 1999 ;)
Merry Xmas to all.

Is Taylor a small forward though or a link up wingman who kicks a goal or two per game.?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back