Preview Lions 2019 Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am backing Lewy in to have a cracker year!
There are a few of our boys on the verge of having break out seasons!
Lewy is one of them, along with his whole draft class (that remain at the club)! And many others, now on the list.
We now have buy in from all of these boys, the results will come, both in a team perspective and an individual one.
My membership pack come in the mail today, so I am pumped for the 2019 season.
Merry Christmas everyone!

carnaroys08

Cancelled
Sep 4, 2007
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Cowboys, Storm.
Is Taylor a small forward though or a link up wingman who kicks a goal or two per game.?
You've got a point because last year he was rarely named in the staring 18 as a half fwd (twice I think); it was usually wing or interchange (roughly 10x each cant remember). It would be interesting to see his "heat maps" from last year. Imo, he hasn't really stamped his name on a role under Fagan. He has 1 solitary Brownlow vote to his name. A good ordinary player perhaps?

Squiz does his best work as more of a wing or a link up HF. He can push forward and get a goal, but he isnt suited to being a small forward.

He isnt super quick, but has a nice burst of acceleration which helps him get around a bloke and keep the ball moving, which is something he instinctively tries to do anyway (sometimes gets him in trouble).

Not a guy that will have many tackles, but i think if he can get about 20 touches a game, kick a goal and help set up 1 or 2 more he is doing his job.

acuguy

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 31, 2000
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
So unless he is either top 7 in possessions or between 8th and 20th on the goalkickers list then he will be in the reserves??

He won't get to either mark I hate to say and I like Lewy Taylor. Considering he hasn't missed a game in the last 2 years I think you're off base.

Yes he needs to improve but that can be said of most of the list. You're expecting exponential improvement for a guy who is never going to average 30 touches or 2 to 2.5 goals a game.

At his height he has to be pushing elite as a player, otherwise he gets ousted by another player on the list. I am a Lewy fan as well and i think 35 plus goals is a number he can hit.

Pns_blister

Team Captain
Oct 16, 2017
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
I know everyone is going to think that this is pure 100% unadulterated dross but I have never claimed to know any inside goss, and probably never will again.

My step sister is best friends with Ryan Lester’s sister. She informed me that Zorko and Kalinda were separated and he had been staying at Lester (and Emma’s) place. And that he hadn’t slept with anyone or cheated, that it was only texting. And that Kalinda now feels really s**t and guilty for going public and hanging Zorko out to dry.

I personally am not a huge fan of Zorko. But in this instance it appears as though he is the victim.

FWIW my step sister also said that Lewis (Zorko’s son) is cute as hell, but has a “potty mouth”.

I know everyone is going to think that this is pure 100% unadulterated dross but I have never claimed to know any inside goss, and probably never will again.

My step sister is best friends with Ryan Lester’s sister. She informed me that Zorko and Kalinda were separated and he had been staying at Lester (and Emma’s) place. And that he hadn’t slept with anyone or cheated, that it was only texting. And that Kalinda now feels really s**t and guilty for going public and hanging Zorko out to dry.

I personally am not a huge fan of Zorko. But in this instance it appears as though he is the victim.

FWIW my step sister also said that Lewis (Zorko’s son) is cute as hell, but has a “potty mouth”.
Potty mouth?
How old is the kid?

CarterS

Brownlow Medallist
Jun 14, 2001
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Lions

Wouldn't surprise me. These days all it takes is an accusation. I think the club dealt with it really well by staying out of it. The fact that he is back on the socials is a good sign. Glad this happened in the off season though and will be done and dusted and he can concentrate on footy when it starts. He can be a bit immature at times in controlling his temper but overall I think he is a great captain. Great energy.

The Zork

Club Legend
Oct 8, 2014
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
I can’t see Taylor getting significantly better than the clever chippy half forward he is now.
I think he will start the year in the side with his spot being talked about maybe 3-4 games in.
If the pressure of keeping his spot coupled with the general improvement of the team elevates his game or gets him hitting the scoreboard a little more then great but I can see why he could be seen playing twos.
Probably lacks a bit of x-factor athleticism that the Camerons, Rayners and hopefully McCarthys can offer in and around the same position.

The way I see it - I’d rather line up on Lewis Taylor than a Charlie Cameron, Cam Rayner or a resting Zorko as a small defender.

Oct 20, 2012
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions

hes bit of a pest on the brisbane nightlife scene and does meet girls and text and pursue them (whilst hes been with Kalinda for years) so doesnt surprise me in the slightest everything that came out...in saying that its unrelated to his footy so play on

Brisbane:
Stay on course
For the Lions’ young cubs, 2019 will be about continuing to follow the Star of Fagan to the promised land. Last season the club showed it was on the precipice of becoming a consistent, well-drilled team - 2019 should be more of the same under the tactically astute and well-liked former Hawk. A personal new year’s resolution for captain Dayne Zorko wouldn't go astray either. The midfielder needs to lose the juvenile attitude displayed after last year’s Q-Clash confrontation with Touk Miller, and fill the void left by the departed Dayne Beams.
https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl...hould-be-making-for-2019-20181225-p50o5l.html

M Malice

Hall of Famer
Aug 31, 2015
By the Gabba.
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Valleys. Chelsea.
Got some free tickets to the Big Bash tonight, not a fan of T20 but couldn't knock back a freebe.

Anyway the point of this post is to say that the outfield looks in pristine condition for the upcoming most important season, doesn't look splotchy like it has in the past, maybe the new groundsmen is concerned with more than just the wicket block.

M Malice

Hall of Famer
Aug 31, 2015
By the Gabba.
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Valleys. Chelsea.
Did notice field tonight, also noticed extremely loud PA system is back
I'm pretty sure that would be just for the T20, and yes I agree it was bloody loud, are you a cranky old man shouting at clouds like me Big Sauce?

I wont be going back unless it's another free ticket situation, can not get invested in the team or the result, I'll stick to Test Match cricket.

Brett C

Club Legend
Oct 11, 2014
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Manchester United
Got some free tickets to the Big Bash tonight, not a fan of T20 but couldn't knock back a freebe.

Anyway the point of this post is to say that the outfield looks in pristine condition for the upcoming most important season, doesn't look splotchy like it has in the past, maybe the new groundsmen is concerned with more than just the wicket block.
Kev Mitchell Jnr was one of the best curators in Australia and seeing as it is the Brisbane Cricket Ground the wicket kinda matters.

The grass issue was a disease of some description, I couldn't find any info on this but seem to recall an article or 2 at the time.

M Malice

Hall of Famer
Aug 31, 2015
By the Gabba.
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Valleys. Chelsea.
Kev Mitchell Jnr was one of the best curators in Australia and seeing as it is the Brisbane Cricket Ground the wicket kinda matters.

The grass issue was a disease of some description, I couldn't find any info on this but seem to recall an article or 2 at the time.
Agree the wicket block was fantastic, the outfield though was ordinary for quite a while. Now that you mention it I do have a faint recollection of the disease issue, still I think it is well established that Kevin Mitchell Jnr was no fan of the Lions using "his" ground and that we were no fan of his. Hopefully the new groundsman has a more supportive stance re all the Gabba tenants.

Was he? why? I think the Gabba has been pretty poor a number of times in the last decade. Plenty of times you would see the field looking patchy. The wicket is used for a few months every year...

He had a great track record over a very long time, but the last few years before he retired Kev was leaving the ground looking pretty average and the Test wicket a bit dull compared to its reputation. I'm curious to see what the new guy will serve up against SL.

Agree the wicket block was fantastic, the outfield though was ordinary for quite a while. Now that you mention it I do have a faint recollection of the disease issue, still I think it is well established that Kevin Mitchell Jnr was no fan of the Lions using "his" ground and that we were no fan of his. Hopefully the new groundsman has a more supportive stance re all the Gabba tenants.

https://www.news.com.au/sport/afl/t...e/news-story/b2076f9af56418205ec7141fc15c7f63

“Yeah a fair bit,” Swann said. “I don’t like talking about him (Mitchell) much, I just call him the bloke who cuts the grass, but if he had his way there wouldn’t be footy on the ground at all.
“He’s a cricket man and it certainly seems to get the priority as far as we can see and this is a good example of it.
“A couple of wickets in the middle got re-sown so that they’d be ready for a Test in November and it’s buggered us up along the way.”
Swann wasn’t the only one furious with the grand final stuff up as Brisbane legend Jonathan Brown and former Lions coach Leigh Matthews lashed out at Mitchell.
Brown was disappointed but not surprised by the turn of events given his experience with the venue’s management over the course of his decorated playing career.
“I lived this for 15-16 years ... the AFL are second-rate citizens in Brisbane, especially when it comes to the Gabba,” Brown told Fox Footy on Monday night. “It’s all about the cricket. Fair dinkum, for the government heavyweights not to be able to step in in this situation ... it’s like Kevin Mitchell is the be-all and end-all there.
“It’s an absolute disgrace.
“We’re trying to grow AFL in Queensland still and for it not to be at the Gabba is really disappointing.”
Brown said he had even been required to ask permission to have a kick out on the turf in the middle of football season, such was the curator’s authority.

I love the tweets from Leigh in that article too.

JoshM

Draftee
Jan 11, 2019
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Bad news about Mitchell - hate when the stars, or any player for that matter, get seriously injured especially so early on.

JoshM

Draftee
Jan 11, 2019
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Looking forward to watching the Lions in 2019. Provided we show the same rate of improvement as last season - and the young guys like Rayner, McClug, Hipwood, Berry etc. keep on an upward trajectory - I will be happy. Hopefully such improvement will manifest in 8 to 10 wins. Bullish about Neale and Lyons coming into the midfield. More than offsets the significant loss of Beams.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back