Preview Lions 2019 Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Very unlikely that we will win, hopefully will have everyone playing (Berry, Christenson), will hopefully do at least "well".
Contrary to your thoughts above, I believe this is a very winnable game. (and so should the playing group) Hopefully the Eagles will still have a bit of the "Premiership Hangover" effect and it will be paramount on our boys mind to start the season with a win as the expectation in season 2019 is huge from all areas. Will be backing the Lions but I think it will be a close one.

A reasonably tough opening to the season with Eagles(H), Kangaroos(A), Port(H), Bombers(A), Magpies(H), I can see us realistically beating Port and the Magpies we'll be well and truly up for it with Dayne Beams return and 30,000+ fans behind us.

Eagles in round 1 is the best time to get them, small chance of an upset, IMO Kangaroos and Bombers away will be very hard to win.

I think it's a great time to get WC. As has already been said, they've started late, and have a long travel to play a game that will matter to them less than any of the last dozen or so games they've played.

They're obviously a bloody good team and we haven't even played a JLT yet, but - mid Feb - I don't mind our chances right now.

West coast, even though they shouldn't, will be cocky and take half a game to settle in.

We'll start strong and hold our own, it'll be high scoring as holes open up under the new rules. Sometime in the late 3rd/4th quarter west coast will find their finals form and will pull away. Pulling away under the mew rules could be blow out score but we won't know that for a few weeks so we will all be woe is us, we're crap, another failed year.

Then we win the next 3 games on the trot and we will start talking finals.
I think the last team that was cocky for round 1 was when we won the shitty preseason cup and got pumped by the Dogs a few years ago

I think the last team that was cocky for round 1 was when we won the shitty preseason cup and got pumped by the Dogs a few years ago
I am sure that Cocky wasn’t the exact word that Gadz was after?
Underdone, maybe? Underprepared, a little complacent?
They are a professional outfit, they will be ready to go and I feel quite sure under Fagan our boys will be too.
A start like the first half in round 1 against Gold Coast 2 yrs ago would be fantastic though.

Great to read on The Lions website that, in the A's v B's match simulation, Fagan has used 31 players in the A team. The article also mentions the dominance of Neale & that Neale is combining particularly well with Lyons & Zorko :D Yay.

I am sure that Cocky wasn’t the exact word that Gadz was after?
Underdone, maybe? Underprepared, a little complacent?
They are a professional outfit, they will be ready to go and I feel quite sure under Fagan our boys will be too.
A start like the first half in round 1 against Gold Coast 2 yrs ago would be fantastic though.

Complacent - yep that's it. thanks.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So 2 out of 8. Probably similar to our overall winning ratio over that period

Read it yesterday.

So based on last years figures we should “win” 8/9 games this year. That doesn’t in to account improvement from our younger players or any decline in our older players.
Only a couple on the list who may decline-

Luke Hodge (34 years old)- You'd be expecting him to transition out of the team this season anyway and go down from his 19 games last season. IMO we have him covered.

Stefan Martin (32)- Been great for us over the years, I don't expect him to decline much if at all, is a prodigious trainer and keeps himself in great shape. I'm bullish on the Big O.

Next in line is Dayne Zorko who just turned 30 last week and is right in the prime of his career IMO. Then we have Mitch Robinson and Matty Eagles as our only 29 year olds, Eagles will be solely depth cover and Mitch is eminently replaceable.

The players I expect to step up to another level this season are- Allen Christensen, Tom Cutler, Daniel McStay. Hugh McCluggage, Jarrod Berry and Alex Witherden have to a large degree exceeded expectations already and just need to continue their demonstrated upward trend.

Not expecting huge things but it would be fantastic if 1 or 2 of Zac Bailey, Cedric Cox and Jacob Allison provided some much needed run and carry.

Only a couple on the list who may decline-

Luke Hodge (34 years old)- You'd be expecting him to transition out of the team this season anyway and go down from his 19 games last season. IMO we have him covered.

Stefan Martin (32)- Been great for us over the years, I don't expect him to decline much if at all, is a prodigious trainer and keeps himself in great shape. I'm bullish on the Big O.

Next in line is Dayne Zorko who just turned 30 last week and is right in the prime of his career IMO. Then we have Mitch Robinson and Matty Eagles as our only 29 year olds, Eagles will be solely depth cover and Mitch is eminently replaceable.

The players I expect to step up to another level this season are- Allen Christensen, Tom Cutler, Daniel McStay. Hugh McCluggage, Jarrod Berry and Alex Witherden have to a large degree exceeded expectations already and just need to continue their demonstrated upward trend.

Not expecting huge things but it would be fantastic if 1 or 2 of Zac Bailey, Cedric Cox and Jacob Allison provided some much needed run and carry.
I was actually thinking of Daniel Rich, and possibly Steph Martin.

But by and large I wasn't expecting much/any of a decline in the others. More that the younger players will go past them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back