Other Teams
Scuderia Ferrari, Dallas Cowboys

Scubaveg

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 6, 2009
Carina
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Stef came to the Lions 3 years after that lot.

Yeah he did, I think though when he was bought in the crazy Vossy mantra started all over again. I guess the point I’m trying to make is often Vossy was labeled that way with very little actual analysis of the performance of those he bought in. McGuire was terrific for the club as others have mentioned, Martin has been sensational later in his career, Staker was certainly worthwhile. Others too played there role, Buchanan was a great servant at NEAFL helping younger players. All these are readily washed over when Vossy’s recruitment is discussed.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

CarterS

Brownlow Medallist
Jun 14, 2001
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Lions
My main concern this year is how we go when we have actual expectations on us.

In the past couple of seasons we have done well because we have exceeded very low expectations.

How many times have we gone behind, mounted a comeback, either got close or gotten ahead, and then got run over? Anecdotally it feels like a lot. Also if you look at the odds we have actually done poorly in games where we have started favourites over the last few seasons.

All of that said I think we are growing in self belief and will overcome this, but a Round 1 belting at the hands of the premiers could be a bit of a shock to the system.

Papa Caz

Club Legend
Jul 10, 2016
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Cleveland Cavaliers
What is everyones thoughts on Archie Smith can he take the number 1 ruck spot from stef?

I honestly don't see it but I also don't see mcinerey being our number 1 ruck any time soon either.

winged1

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 30, 2013
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
I
What is everyones thoughts on Archie Smith can he take the number 1 ruck spot from stef?

I honestly don't see it but I also don't see mcinerey being our number 1 ruck any time soon either.
I see more potential in big O than Archie. Oscar can play fwd and gets more of it around the ground, he can be our no 1 ruck. I feel because we have addressed a lot of our clearance issues that the value of Stef to our team is slightly less and they are looking for a pure tap ruck, hence Archie gets a look in. But on the total player capability i have Oscar ahead of Archie.

Its like who do you like more Clarke or Keating. I would always take Keating.

Lions Flag 2020

Club Legend
Jul 18, 2017
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Getting close now only 5 days to go, come on BRAB get that preview up;) so we can dissect every nuance of this game.

Would be an absolutely massive win for us if we can beat the premiers first up, very deflating though if we cop a belting.

GO LIONS!
A win is unlikely but a belting is even more unlikely.

May 20, 2015
Maleny, Queensland
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions

I think Stef will stay for the first part of the season if not all but i think Archie is knocking on the door loudly now and will get some games to get him ready to take over. i think early on there is still some foxing over the new rules and how different clubs will play and react to others. I think Steph showed against Melbourne he can well and truly hold his own so I'm thinking steady as it goes until we see who does what around these rules. Although Brisbane played 6,6,6 the most teams like Richmond played that structure minimally so we need to see how they change.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

My view is that the only reason Stef shouldn't start in the ruck in round 1 is due to fitness. I think he showed enough in the Melbourne game to indicate he is still one of the best half dozen rucks in the comp. Archie is definitely a capable first ruck now but Stef is at another level.

Dylan12

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 7, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Chelsea, Boston Red Sox
Best five win team ever. What an accolade.
Not sure who it was that put together that clip but calling McCluggage "Cluggage" and no mention of Lyons as an inclusion at the start, but then naming him as rover means it is a somewhat flawed summary.

Last edited:
Oct 13, 2015
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
My view is that the only reason Stef shouldn't start in the ruck in round 1 is due to fitness. I think he showed enough in the Melbourne game to indicate he is still one of the best half dozen rucks in the comp. Archie is definitely a capable first ruck now but Stef is at another level.

Yup. Given WCE have to run with Hickey in round 1 too is all the more reason to go with Stef as that is a very favourable matchup for us. Stef ended up playing most of JLT2 with Archie's throat issue and didn't look like he lacked the fitness.

Archie's time is coming and it is good to see that he has made progress, but it isn't his time just yet.

bato

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 7, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Denver Nuggets, Novak Djokovic
“I don’t feel as precarious as what you guys might think,’’ Martin said.

“I missed a big chunk of the practice games but I’m confident in what I have done over the last few years and I feel I am a decent player.

“You guys have ran with a narrative, but I feel good, I missed some training but I feel pretty fit and ready to go.’’

- 18/03

Sep 19, 2013
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
I think Stef will stay for the first part of the season if not all but i think Archie is knocking on the door loudly now and will get some games to get him ready to take over. i think early on there is still some foxing over the new rules and how different clubs will play and react to others. I think Steph showed against Melbourne he can well and truly hold his own so I'm thinking steady as it goes until we see who does what around these rules. Although Brisbane played 6,6,6 the most teams like Richmond played that structure minimally so we need to see how they change.

I agree that there could be some foxing going on this preseason. The ideas that Archie is ahead of Martin and that Andrews is set to play as a key forward seem a little strange. I will probably be wrong but I am calling BS on those two.

Last edited:

Dylan12

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 7, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Chelsea, Boston Red Sox
What does your side need for this year to be a success?
BRISBANE LIONS

When assessing the Lions’ 2019 pass mark, do you set it based on what they achieved in 2018? Or on the rapid improvement many expect them to show this season? We’ve met somewhere in the middle.

Chris Fagan’s men had a 5-17 record last year, but five of those losses were by seven or less points. Some pundits believe the Lions have the potential to jump into the finals mix in 2019, even though they have the second-youngest list in the competition. Ten wins, which would put them just outside the eight, seems a reasonable expectation.

Pass mark: 10 wins

10 feels like inflated expectations. I'd guess about the 8-9 mark given the Pythagorean expectations, but it's really just quibbling.

The same article has 10 wins as the mark for St Kilda.

This year it feels like there's a lot of filler and not much quality in the pre-season analysis.

10 feels like inflated expectations. I'd guess about the 8-9 mark given the Pythagorean expectations, but it's really just quibbling.

I remember the club had set 10 wins as their third year goal which indicates that's their personal Win KPI they want to reach.

Personally I am with you - 8-10 wins is a good bracket and one I expect us to reach. How much further we can go beyond that comes down to injuries and how our forwards go.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back