Status
Not open for further replies.
May 3, 2005
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Scuderia Ferrari, Dallas Cowboys
I've had a few goes at the ladder predictor, one as an optimistic lions supporter giving us wins against teams close to us on the ladder or ones that we should win and I had us on 13 wins, that included a win against the dogs and a loss against the crows.
Top 4 ended up being Geelong, GWS, Pies & WCE which I think are safe bets to be there at the end of the year
5-8th was Tigers, Bombers, Lions & Port with Freo and Crows just missing out.

After yesterdays loss and feeling a bit pessimistic about the rest of our season and seeing the crows and bombers lose, I had us finishing 12th with 9 wins behind the Saints and 10 wins and a good percentage was enough to get 8th spot.

Squiggle has us finishing anywhere from 4th-9th

Expecting us to go well in the next 4 rounds. We will match up well against all of them. Even if we fall asleep in phases, if the rebounding is at lumbering pace we get the opportunity to regroup. Expecting a 4/4 or 3/4 outcome, leaving us at 8 or 9 wins.

May 20, 2015
Maleny, Queensland
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
You know reading across the competition and the injuries many teams have and unexplained form slumps with excuses like game style changes and so on - the lions stability and supply of personnel should give us a great run in the back half of the season. I'm kinda a 'steady as she goes' supporter with few changes looking for consistency then I'm thinking about depth, you really cant or shouldn't buy it in depth you have to develop it. We want to trade for for 'need' e.g. what do we desperately need right now in the top 22 that gets us to the finals. With the reserves flogging everyone we have so many lined up to try out, do they sit there and wait for an injury or do we give them a run at the risk they don't make the step as they have just looked good in a winning side where they have so much extra time to make decisions. Wooller Vs Rayner is one for me - pretty much like for like replacement. Keays Vs McCarthy pretty much like for like. Ballandene vs big O or McStay, not really like for like and would be a different forward set up but Ballandene is getting close to a test run. Skinner Vs McStay is another, Skinner plays both ends in reserves and swaps during games and boy that kids likes to crash packs. Payne vs Walker although Walker is no where near a rest in the 2's and Payne isn't getting much ball in the reserve's floggings but his upside is very high. Starvicevich, Baily, Ainsworth for a back flank if they were all fit at once a great battle. Then there is Tom Berry who could go into that group but I see him cuttingly in the wing group, he is a hard little nut who runs hard both ways. It's a great dilemma to have in the early part of the season which we are still in. Touch wood - after the mid way we are in the same position and some of these kids get their chance not through injury but because they have demanded the chance.

May 5, 2013
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Just reading the best and worst kicks inside 50 article and am gobdmacked. Zorko apparently is the best where we retain it most of the time whereas McCllugage is the 4th worst. Most of the time l see Zorko kick it inside 50, he looks like he sprays it.
That is hard to believe , I would of thought the same, .
I thought Zorks sends it long to a contest quite a lot instead of looking for a direct target, and it seems lately we lose those contests quite a bit.
I have noticed clugga kicking a ball straight to a opposition defender a few times as well, but what player doesn't.
Maybe we expect more from Zorks and thats how we grade him.
Also if it goes to a contest it is classed as a good kick .

That only works if our crumbers are near by or in fact crumbing instead of going for the specky.
Then we have the issue with we actually have to kick straight at goal to make all the other stuff look good.

Oct 13, 2015
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
That is hard to believe , I would of thought the same, .
I thought Zorks sends it long to a contest quite a lot instead of looking for a direct target, and it seems lately we lose those contests quite a bit.
I have noticed clugga kicking a ball straight to a opposition defender a few times as well, but what player doesn't.
Maybe we expect more from Zorks and thats how we grade him.
Also if it goes to a contest it is classed as a good kick .

That only works if our crumbers are near by or in fact crumbing instead of going for the specky.
Then we have the issue with we actually have to kick straight at goal to make all the other stuff look good.

I'd be interested to see Clug's numbers if the Norf game was excluded - he really had a shocker going inside 50 for 3qtrs of that game. I suspect that they would be somewhat better if that game was excluded.

briztoon

Wannabe Draft Nuffie
Nov 28, 2015
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
NUFC, Philadelphia 76'ers
https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/af...d/news-story/86eacdc42138c638aee8c53a6f3d77a0

As for individual players, Dayne Zorko is the best kick inside 50 for the competition. The Lion has kicked inside 50 on 43 occasions, with a 55.8 per cent retention rate for his side.
Hawk Jack Gunston, Saint Jack Newnes, Docker Bradley Hill and Magpie Scott Pendlebury round out the top five best kicks inside 50, with Gunston the only other player with a retention rate of over 50 per cent.

BEST KICKS INSIDE 50
1. Dayne Zorko (Brisbane Lions): 43 kicks — 55.8 per cent retention rate
2. Jack Gunston (Hawthorn): 27 kicks — 55.6 per cent retention rate
3. Jack Newnes (St Kilda): 29 kicks — 48.3 per cent retention rate
4. Bradley Hill (Fremantle): 27 kicks — 48.1 per cent retention rate
5. Scott Pendlebury (Collingwood): 46 kicks — 47.8 per cent retention rate
WORST KICKS INSIDE 50
1. Clayton Oliver (Melbourne): 45 kicks — 8.9 per cent retention rate
2. Rory Sloane (Adelaide): 31 kicks — 12.9 per cent retention rate
3. Ed Langdon (Fremantle): 30 kicks — 16.7 per cent retention rate
4. Hugh McCluggage (Brisbane Lions): 34 kicks — 17.6 per cent retention rate
5. Travis Boak (Port Adelaide): 38 kicks — 18.4 per cent retention rate

jackess

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts
Aug 10, 2005
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Is retention your team keeping possession or just the opposition not winning the footy?

FLVanLandingham

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 3, 2017
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
'continued possession', so i gather that just means from the entry either a mark, or a crumb to continue our possession. though who knows with the naming of stats. It may also mean a ball up .. eh

Bit surprised at McCluggage. That is just 6 times we have kept the ball when going in :eek: Probably comes down to him running from the wing bombing it in, while Zorks looks as well for shorter dinky passes around the ring.

that's pretty cool either way! especially looking at the volume, only pendlebury next up has close to it, and the % slides quite a bit. great to see zorko having that impact

Jan 9, 2019
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Just reading the best and worst kicks inside 50 article and am gobdmacked. Zorko apparently is the best where we retain it most of the time whereas McCllugage is the 4th worst. Most of the time l see Zorko kick it inside 50, he looks like he sprays it.
No offence but the love for Cluggs (& Bezza) on this site is definitely a little over the top. Hughie has shown us some magic glimpses of brilliance that will convert into more consistent performances given more time but, naturally, he still has a lot to improve on. Cant wait for most of this group to turn their exciting potential into consistent performances week in / week out. We just need to be patient and enjoy watching them improve as they will.

Oct 13, 2015
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
No offence but the love for Cluggs (& Bezza) on this site is definitely a little over the top. Hughie has shown us some magic glimpses of brilliance that will convert into more consistent performances given more time but, naturally, he still has a lot to improve on. Cant wait for most of this group to turn their exciting potential into consistent performances week in / week out. We just need to be patient and enjoy watching them improve as they will.

I wouldn't say the love for Clug is over the top. I was still a bit worried in pre-season about the gap between good Clug (which is sublime) and bad Clug, which is him rushing his disposals and missing chances.

For the most part this year he has been good Clug pretty consistently. He's had 20 touches every game bar one and kicked a goal in every game bar the Qclash where he had 2 behinds. Yeah he hasn't consistently performed like the first quarter on the weekend but that was a dangerfield level of performance (14 touches, being cleaner than everyone else and bursting from congestion into acres of space). I'm pretty sure he is the leading midfielder in terms of goals too despite not having a single game where he has kicked a big bag.

The only game where I think the stats deceive us a bit is against Norf, and I think if he'd been smarter with the ball use in that one he'd be out of the 5 worst players in the comp for kicking inside 50. Maybe he would still be below average but given we have an 8 game sample size one poor game on a metric can skew it a little.

M Malice

Hall of Famer
Aug 31, 2015
By the Gabba.
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Valleys. Chelsea.
Huge month coming up before the bye- Crows, Dockers, Hawks and Blues. I could easily see us winning all 4 and just as easily losing all 4. Could be 9-3, 5-7 or anywhere in between come the bye.

Crows- Have found some form, will be difficult opposition.
Dockers- Look a lot more dangerous forward now, 50/50 game.
Hawks- I'm sure Clarkson will have something up his sleeve for us, he wont want to continue being Fagan's bunny.
Blues- They have definitely improved on last year as the game v the Magpies on the weekend showed, no easy beats, if we take them lightly we will get beaten.

Apr 4, 2015
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Stats don't give the full picture , like whether you've busted your gut under extreme pressure to lob a kick in ,or whether you're in the clear with someone in sight on their own . The other thing is you could bomb it in high to a contest that gets rushed out of bounds when there was another option ,that's apparently retention. Likewise a lot depends on who you kick it to whether it gets retained . Probably need to look at it at the end of the year to get a better picture. Zorks seemed to spray them everywhere Saturday.

Apr 4, 2015
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Huge month coming up before the bye- Crows, Dockers, Hawks and Blues. I could easily see us winning all 4 and just as easily losing all 4. Could be 9-3, 5-7 or anywhere in between come the bye.

Crows- Have found some form, will be difficult opposition.
Dockers- Look a lot more dangerous forward now, 50/50 game.
Hawks- I'm sure Clarkson will have something up his sleeve for us, he wont want to continue being Fagan's bunny.
Blues- They have definitely improved on last year as the game v the Magpies on the weekend showed, no easy beats, if we take them lightly we will get beaten.
The fact is anybody can beat anybody these days. We have to be right on our game to win any of those

Dec 1, 2013
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
https://www.lions.com.au/news/2019-05-16/the-final-three

"He admits the reason he’s still playing is because of Chris Fagan and David Noble and it won’t be long until the Lions’ defenders are in a position the Hawks’ youngsters were at the end of 2017.

The end is near but how near will depend on how the immediate future goes.

The end of the season is a long way away. If I can get through the first half of the season without injury for starters, I’d be happy and whatever happens after that we’ll discuss when the time’s right.”

Is he talking about potentially playing another season?

"He admits the reason he’s still playing is because of Chris Fagan and David Noble and it won’t be long until the Lions’ defenders are in a position the Hawks’ youngsters were at the end of 2017.

The end of the season is a long way away. If I can get through the first half of the season without injury for starters, I’d be happy and whatever happens after that we’ll discuss when the time’s right.”

Was wondering that myself? 🤔

Apr 4, 2015
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Was wondering that myself? 🤔
There's no way he wants to stop . He wouldn't have come all the way to the Lions to start afresh if he didn't have a real hunger for the contest. He still seems able to lift his work rate towards the end of games so no sign of battle fatigue with him.

He'll play on if it's at all possible

Dylan12

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 7, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Chelsea, Boston Red Sox
There's no way he wants to stop . He wouldn't have come all the way to the Lions to start afresh if he didn't have a real hunger for the contest. He still seems able to lift his work rate towards the end of games so no sign of battle fatigue with him.

He'll play on if it's at all possible
Potential downgrade to the rookie list?

Brett C

Club Legend
Oct 11, 2014
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Manchester United

I got the feeling it was more around how many games he’ll play in the back half of the year.

If we are in mix for finals I’d think he plays most games. If not he may step back

davemc_lions

Premiership Player
Aug 21, 2013
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Hodge has not had any old man injuries of late. Body seems well lost a little pace makes up with smarts.
If he played next year home games I be happy if his body is up. Then play the final series and another Premiership medal :)
Probably depends who he holding back. Although if we do not get into finals this year I see us in 2020.
Having someone who been there and done it if still playing well be great at the pointy end.

He is actually holding up well, and if he felt upto it come end of the year id be happy for him to go for a 3rd year. Even if we are getting 16 games a season from him, it is a good return.

The biggest deal about going around for 1 more year is more so if they are up for another pre season and can maintain that fitness. Hodge was pretty damn fit all last year, hasnt really missed a beat. No lagging or lingering injuries either

davemc_lions

Premiership Player
Aug 21, 2013
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Hodge still working out last interview I saw if he go into media or coaching.
Another year at least we getting his coaching included in his match payments and keep him around.

CarterS

Brownlow Medallist
Jun 14, 2001
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Lions
If you look at the ladder, we are one of the worst in the league for points against and one of the best in points for. Last year it was generally said our % showed we are better than our ladder but this year I think by % alone we are about 7. 6-3 a magnificent record so far.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back