Preview Lions 2019 Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Further to this it was just said on 360 that he was a unanimous inclusion into the AFL Hall of Fame, but his nom was deferred by a year due to the filming commitments.

I take it this means he won't be part of our hall of fame this week either.
I was wondering how the hell he wasn't on that list.

lioninthesand

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 22, 2016
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
This part suggests that it isn’t only his wife who wants to stay?

My initial post didn't mean to imply is was only his wife who wanted to stay. I said, from what I have heard Hodge say in interviews it is largely being driven by his wife. If she was 'here nor there' about where they lived, I sensed he would be open to going back to Melbourne, but because she is set on Brissy it is an easy decision. He is also enjoying the lifestyle by all reports.

If I were Hodge and seeking to get in with the media, I'd be in the ear of the Lions and the AFL to be push to become the AFL anchor for the 7 QLD evening news. Pat Welsh isn't too bad but they've got frigging Shane Webcke spending what seems like half an hour each night waffling about the league in the sports segment and then even spending more time with that "Webby and Gilly's tips" thing before we get our look in. Let's get some real visibility on the AFL. Hodge is a well respected and highly decorated AFL player, has history with the heartland, and I could genuinely see him slot into a presenter role. Or even take on some of the interviews with players - he can clearly relate with any of them.

There's so much more than being a voice during a game or getting stuck sitting on the boundary in a thick coat waiting for the quarter breaks.

lioninthesand

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 22, 2016
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
If I were Hodge and seeking to get in with the media, I'd be in the ear of the Lions and the AFL to be push to become the AFL anchor for the 7 QLD evening news. Pat Welsh isn't too bad but they've got frigging Shane Webcke spending what seems like half an hour each night waffling about the league in the sports segment and then even spending more time with that "Webby and Gilly's tips" thing before we get our look in. Let's get some real visibility on the AFL. Hodge is a well respected and highly decorated AFL player, has history with the heartland, and I could genuinely see him slot into a presenter role. Or even take on some of the interviews with players - he can clearly relate with any of them.

There's so much more than being a voice during a game or getting stuck sitting on the boundary in a thick coat waiting for the quarter breaks.

My understanding is he want's to coach. But much like Vossy (before we dragged him back away from channel 7) they like to go out an get their media apprenticeship under their belt for a year or 2. You are still watching the game everyday so you stay sharp. Plus you get to practice communicating and not being awkward during live crosses etc, there is an art to it, it's a learnt skill. Then once they have that under their belt, they can go off and coach or do a mix of both. still think coaching full-time is part of the plan, just having a gap year.

lioninthesand

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 22, 2016
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Easy to forget Witho is 20. He's bloody good for his ages and his defensive efforts improve almost every week. What a talent he is.

41 games, incredible. Can't remember a kid who has felt like 150 game player in such a short amount of time. He is help to such high standards by fans as well. worst case Jed Adcock (which would be amazing), best case a slightly smaller Brendan Goddard.

Brett C

Club Legend
Oct 11, 2014
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Manchester United
Easy to forget Witho is 20. He's bloody good for his ages and his defensive efforts improve almost every week. What a talent he is.
His last 2-3 weeks defensively have been his best by a country mile. It looks like he has upped his workload and effort levels and has curbed the crazy kicks.

My initial post didn't mean to imply is was only his wife who wanted to stay. I said, from what I have heard Hodge say in interviews it is largely being driven by his wife. If she was 'here nor there' about where they lived, I sensed he would be open to going back to Melbourne, but because she is set on Brissy it is an easy decision. He is also enjoying the lifestyle by all reports.

He’s has spoken about how much better qld is for his kids. Outside all the time, playing the same if not more Afl than in Melbourne.

briztoon

Wannabe Draft Nuffie
Nov 28, 2015
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
NUFC, Philadelphia 76'ers
We were a bottom 6 team last season and received one of the easier draws for this season.

Barring us falling in a heap, we look set for a top 8 finish, accordingly we'll receive a harder fixture list next season.

I'm as bullish as many fans for our future, but I'm going to temper my enthusiasm with a decent dose of reality. Not going to pencil us in as a possible top 4 team next year.

Oct 13, 2015
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
We were a bottom 6 team last season and received one of the easier draws for this season.

Barring us falling in a heap, we look set for a top 8 finish, accordingly we'll receive a harder fixture list next season.

I'm as bullish as many fans for our future, but I'm going to temper my enthusiasm with a decent dose of reality. Not going to pencil us in as a possible top 4 team next year.

Agreed. I think we would do extremely well to stay in the 8 next year - you only need to look at the Dees to see how easily a team can slip down.

BangyBangy

BangyBangyMightyLoins
Oct 16, 2013
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Agreed. I think we would do extremely well to stay in the 8 next year - you only need to look at the Dees to see how easily a team can slip down.

Lol, stay in the 8?

As much as I want to ask you which team(s) do you think will go past us next year to push us out of the 8. I can't. Because we haven't made finals yet this year!!!

But on a serious note, aside from Essendon, can anyone fail quite like the Dees?

Dec 18, 2011
QLD
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Brisbane Roar,Halifax Town AFC
from what I can gage, his wife loves the Brissy lifestyle, I think Hodge would go back an entrench himself at Hawthorn if she wasn't here nor there, but he made specific mention several times of his wife preferring the laid back life style and warm weather. They have picked a school for the kids and are involved in a local AFL club already. I was also talking to a Puma rep that deals with him and he said he loves it up there, especially the golf courses and aint going anywhere. Plus Leigh would have shown him that you can be part of the channel 7 team and live up there just fine.
Listened to an interview with Hodge on SEN a few weeks ago and he confirmed this. His wife is currently looking for a house to purchase, has a very close knit group of friends, the whole family love the weather and lifestyle and Cooper is playing more footy than when they were living in Melbourne.

Listened to an interview with Hodge on SEN a few weeks ago and he confirmed this. His wife is currently looking for a house to purchase, has a very close knit group of friends, the whole family love the weather and lifestyle and Cooper is playing more footy than when they were living in Melbourne.
They have already purchased a house, in Hawthorne of all places, so is his Wife looking at moving out on her own?😁

Oct 13, 2015
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions

That's very very interesting. I'd be interested in a more detailed breakdown of our shots - I'd guess that we have slightly worse than expected accuracy from some easier shots that is being compensated by converting a higher percentage of harder shots than some teams.

I really wish Champion Data shared this info publicly rather than drip feed it out through articles/media appearances.

Also its incredible that Carlton is in the top 5 for expected goal accuracy and yet they are still the lowest scoring team in the comp. Points to some pretty fundamental problems there.

Brett C

Club Legend
Oct 11, 2014
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Manchester United

briztoon

Wannabe Draft Nuffie
Nov 28, 2015
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
NUFC, Philadelphia 76'ers

Milux

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 29, 2013
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions

Agreed. Obviously this season has to finish till we know where we stand for next season. But I'd still back us up to improve aswell. Unlike Melbourne who have suffered injuries and a tough draw. If we finish top 4 this year that will make next season tough as. But hey let's just enjoy this good run of form.

lioninthesand

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 22, 2016
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
That's very very interesting. I'd be interested in a more detailed breakdown of our shots - I'd guess that we have slightly worse than expected accuracy from some easier shots that is being compensated by converting a higher percentage of harder shots than some teams.

I really wish Champion Data shared this info publicly rather than drip feed it out through articles/media appearances.

Also its incredible that Carlton is in the top 5 for expected goal accuracy and yet they are still the lowest scoring team in the comp. Points to some pretty fundamental problems there.

People pay tens of thousands of dollars for it, not going to happen.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back