Preview Lions 2019 Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Easy to forget Witho is 20. He's bloody good for his ages and his defensive efforts improve almost every week. What a talent he is.
Taking it another step ahead of Alex, its easy to forget how young most of them are....Hipwood, McLuggage, Berry...all still only 21 years old.

Thanks for that, confirms my thoughts that a lot of our shots are from more difficult positions.

Wouldn't is be great if our forwards could lead up to the ball rather than the constant leading back into a pocket.
These type of comments continue to astound me because no matter how much we improve and get better at playing the game, there is always a negative comment that they are seen as not doing something they should be!!! Why cant we just enjoy their efforts to get us where we are now and continue to enjoy watching them develop instead of taking pot shots at our developing group of young men.
Did it ever occur to you that they might be following a game plan set by Fagan & Co?
Did it ever occur to you that if they were constantly doing stuff against the game plan, they would be held accountable?
By the stats, (and results) our forwards are doing a remarkable job, why cant we enjoy & complement that instead?

It's crazy how people want to discuss stuff on a discussion forum.

It'd be a pretty boring forum if every thread was "How good were the guys on the weekend?" and thirty-two pages of "Pretty good".

You raise some valid points about game plan, etc, but set them into a background of fairly silly outrage.

It'd be a pretty boring forum if every thread was "How good were the guys on the weekend?" and thirty-two pages of "Pretty good".
Good for moderators though.

It's crazy how people want to discuss stuff on a discussion forum.

You raise some valid points about game plan, etc, but set them into a background of fairly silly outrage.
Sometimes I think that posters like yourself are the kind of people (sometimes again) who would complain about winning $1 Million and having to count it!!!
Seriously, our forward line is definatley one of the best in the comp. Why try to downgrade that with a perception that they are not performing to the expectations of a personal game plan by a BF poster thats obviously very different to the team one set in place and is providing us wins?
I say ...Keep doing what your doing forwards.....7-10 wins thus far....wooohoo... thank you fellas.....GO LIONS.

These type of comments continue to astound me because no matter how much we improve and get better at playing the game, there is always a negative comment that they are seen as not doing something they should be!!! Why cant we just enjoy their efforts to get us where we are now and continue to enjoy watching them develop instead of taking pot shots at our developing group of young men.
Did it ever occur to you that they might be following a game plan set by Fagan & Co?
Did it ever occur to you that if they were constantly doing stuff against the game plan, they would be held accountable?
By the stats, (and results) our forwards are doing a remarkable job, why cant we enjoy & complement that instead?

Yeah the guys are playing to a game plan that may not involve players doing things we think they should be doing. A good example is someone recently saying that us bombing into the pocket was a tactic but a lot of us would be thinking "stop bombing it to the pocket you spud!!!" It's a complex game

Sometimes I think that posters like yourself are the kind of people (sometimes again) who would complain about winning $1 Million and having to count it!!!
Seriously, our forward line is definatley one of the best in the comp. Why try to downgrade that with a perception that they are not performing to the expectations of a personal game plan by a BF poster thats obviously very different to the team one set in place and is providing us wins?
I say ...Keep doing what your doing forwards.....7-10 wins thus far....wooohoo... thank you fellas.....GO LIONS.
Sweet, you have said everything that needs to be said. Lets shut down Bigfooty now because we are obviously not allowed to discuss whats happening. Wait until we beat Carlton, then say "Good job Lions, keep at it", shut it down again until the next week and so on.

It's funny that you say he is complaining about stuff when you are complaining about him. I actually would like to read about pros and cons of our team and gameplan et, that is why i come onto this board not to put on my rose coloured glasses and think everything is magical. If l want to be bored, l would watch the Wiggles and Pepper Pig like l do every day.

Thanks, maybe provide me with a list of your acceptable comments (only positive of course) and I will randomly insert them to threads across the week to keep you happy.

If you truly believe we have no room to improve then that's great but you're wrong and I didn't say the forwards were doing a bad job but there is absolutely room for the improvement. If the game plan involves players being told (which I highly doubt) to all lead to a pocket then the coaches are falling.

Want the time to improve all aspects is a good thing and I am not sure why you need to have a go at my comment.

The team has an opportunity this year to make a run at the top 4.

Sweet, you have said everything that needs to be said. Lets shut down Bigfooty now because we are obviously not allowed to discuss whats happening. Wait until we beat Carlton, then say "Good job Lions, keep at it", shut it down again until the next week and so on.

It's funny that you say he is complaining about stuff when you are complaining about him. I actually would like to read about pros and cons of our team and gameplan et, that is why i come onto this board not to put on my rose coloured glasses and think everything is magical. If l want to be bored, l would watch the Wiggles and Pepper Pig like l do every day.
Now Peppa Pig is one negative piece of work, let's hope she doesn't join Bigfooty.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Think you’re mixing up who you’re responding to about what.

dlanod is not one of the negative posters on here, and always has a very measured response to most topics.

Think you’re mixing up who you’re responding to about what.

dlanod is not one of the negative posters on here, and always has a very measured response to most topics.

Yeah Dlanod being accused of being negative all the time is one of the weirder moments on this board.

You would have thought someone would have come up with an only Positive content thread by now, maybe it could be titled "The positives thread".

Bahahaha...funny Jason pm. Thanks for the sarcastic comment. I guess I should stick to the positive thread as you recommend and leave it to you and the others for the criticism's. Cheers.

Bahahaha...funny Jason pm. Thanks for the sarcastic comment. I guess I should stick to the positive thread as you recommend and leave it to you and the others for the criticism's. Cheers.
Thanks for picking up on my sarcasm ML, it is a large part of my online persona, not everyone picks up on it.

I appreciate your sarcasm while returning serve.:thumbsu: All good buddy, don't let the shouting down get to you.

Thanks for picking up on my sarcasm ML, it is a large part of my online persona, not everyone picks up on it.

I appreciate your sarcasm while returning serve.:thumbsu: All good buddy, don't let the shouting down get to you.
Haha...I am slowly learning the threads to go and read and the ones I should leave alone. I only hope there will be some threads left when I finally get it 100% down pat. Thanks for the assistance Jason pm.

P.S. Shouting down is the last thing that would get me down so please, don't worry. Its easy to move on, especially on BF.

avEmQpU.jpg

So we're missing quite a bit, but also having shots from hardish angles? Tbh I think it says more about the state of set shots league wide more than us being in the top 4.. a sorry sight.

Though on a positive note we are just breaking even basically. If we could fix this up and move more to a Geelongesque accuracy we would win a lot more comfortably. Currently have the 16th best expected hit rate? I mean for us to have our ladder position thats pretty cool.

https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/af...r/news-story/c20bfe594092e767cfd3b67162092796

Last edited:
There was a really great discussion on how our gameplan has changed this year to last year on this weeks By the Numbers podcast. Not that dissimilar from what was briefly touched on On the Couch this week. Key bits:
  • We've switched from high corridor team for ball movement (2nd last year) to being a boundary team (2nd behind Geelong). Interestingly Geelong was also top 4 in corridor use last year.
  • Pressure in the forward half is number 1 over the last month of the season - creating the second/third most forward half turnovers.
  • Numbers for those two stats weren't as high the first 6 weeks of the season but they are right up the last month.
  • We're number one for points from stoppages.
A few people have mentioned it already but this does reinforce the fact that we've really changed our game style, particularly the last month, with a lot more kicking long down the line and getting the ball into the forward half and locking it in rather than having shallow entries and getting cut up on the rebound.

I don't have any stats to back it up but this would be impacting our shot location with us being more likely to have wider shots as a result of gamestyle, and on our efficiency inside 50 as we want to get it in wide and force stoppages/forward half turnovers.

Podcast link is here (discussion goes from roughly the 38 to 43 minute mark): https://player.whooshkaa.com/rsn-breakfast-club?episode=381928

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back