Preview Lions 2019 Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I can't see Stef playing 3 more years, that would make him 37, 1 long term injury and it's over, form can also drop off quickly once you reach your early 30s let alone mid 30s.
He's only 32...???

32 + 3 = 37? Ouch, that hurts. :(

I just don't see Archie as the long term replacement for Stef or as a capable fill in for the big O if he gets injured, 6 years on the list and very underwhelming IMO.

Based on what though? He’s spent bugger all time playing the role we would want him for. If it is based on his NEAFL form, I’m pretty sceptical of that as a valid basis for any opinion about a player’s senior prospects.

I just don’t know how he could be disregarded so easily (just as I don’t see how we could be totally reliant on him coming good). I wouldn’t want my last dollar on him being our premiership ruckman but it isn’t an outlandish proposition.

If he’d played 15 games as a starting ruck and looked average, I could see the logic but I just don’t see the evidence base to be making calls either way.

Apologies for a couple of footy truisms but:

1. He’s a big bloke and big blokes take time.

2. He was new to the sport and those blokes take time.

As I said, he’s no lock for a first ruck role but he’s certainly not the worst option I’ve ever seen.

Based on what though? He’s spent bugger all time playing the role we would want him for. If it is based on his NEAFL form, I’m pretty sceptical of that as a valid basis for any opinion about a player’s senior prospects.

I just don’t know how he could be disregarded so easily (just as I don’t see how we could be totally reliant on him coming good). I wouldn’t want my last dollar on him being our premiership ruckman but it isn’t an outlandish proposition.

If he’d played 15 games as a starting ruck and looked average, I could see the logic but I just don’t see the evidence base to be making calls either way.

Apologies for a couple of footy truisms but:

1. He’s a big bloke and big blokes take time.

2. He was new to the sport and those blokes take time.

As I said, he’s no lock for a first ruck role but he’s certainly not the worst option I’ve ever seen.
Based on my gut (I like the eye test) upon viewing his games over the last few years particularly in the NEAFL, a few live and others on youtube. If we are playing him bugger all in the role we want him for I'd beg the obvious questions ie. why not we've had 6 years? Have we dropped the ball re Archie's development?

On taking time- It's been 6 years and still I just don't see it.

Archie was looking pretty good 2 years ago but seems to have plateaued at a standard just below the AFL.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Didn't we get him pick three or something? Or do you mean because he could actually ruck and gave some return on investment?

Pick 4, but yes the latter.

Done deal last week. Formal announcement coming up soon

McSTAY

Now for the big question, are you still worried about us losing a key forward this off season or was dan the one you were worried about?

For the past few years we have had the season in two parts being pre and post bye.

other teams also seem to be similarly effected - pies were 9-3 before the bye (I think) and last night looked like a team expecting to coast into finals and not being ‘up’ for the game against a lowly team (and that’s a good thing).

Fagan said last year that the tally restarts at the bye and the demarcation was used to show our improvement over the season. Simple but brilliant piece of in-the-players-heads coaching as using the same principle this year means the wins don’t count and players don’t get complacent.

For the past few years we have had the season in two parts being pre and post bye.

other teams also seem to be similarly effected - pies were 9-3 before the bye (I think) and last night looked like a team expecting to coast into finals and not being ‘up’ for the game against a lowly team (and that’s a good thing).

Fagan said last year that the tally restarts at the bye and the demarcation was used to show our improvement over the season. Simple but brilliant piece of in-the-players-heads coaching as using the same principle this year means the wins don’t count and players don’t get complacent.
From the brief discussion I read, weren't the Pies missing 9 best 22 players last night?

From the brief discussion I read, weren't the Pies missing 9 best 22 players last night?

Possibly - I didn’t know it was that many. I’ve flicked through their autopsy thread and there isn’t a lot of focus on missing players, though they do say their forward line is non existent and their key forwards are out.

Mostly getting the players aren’t firing and game plan has consistently been defensive not take the game on and it’s not working.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back