Dylan12

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 7, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Chelsea, Boston Red Sox
I remember in 09 I got the exact same seat as my season membership seat... surely that can't be a coincidence? The rules may have changed this then of course...
I did too when living in Brisbane in 09 & 10. Back then, members had the option to secure their same seat if booked on the Monday or Tuesday from memory but things could easily have changed since then.

Scubaveg

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 6, 2009
Carina
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
I'm assuming finals in Brisbane work the same way as GWS, given AFL finals are controlled by the AFL, in which case you have no say on your seats from the home and away season. You get what you get and you don't get upset.

Bragging about GWS finals are we? I think it’s time to reflect on yesterday’s game!

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

The fact that we have come out strong after the bye on multiple occasions is good for finals headspace

Some teams seem to lose momentum whenever the have a week off before and during finals.

But when we get the semi final week off we know we'll come out stronger after a break and win the preliminary final.

Oct 13, 2015
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Kind of interesting to line that up with the Suns claim they need PP1 as they havent played finals for 9 years

Its amazing how much winning games of footy changes your perspective - I really can't find it in myself to get mad about the Suns requesting a start of first round priority pick. Who cares if they get it other than Crows fans (and I guess teams picking from 1-8)?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Jan 9, 2009
Queensland
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Would like to give some recognition to our A graders pushing for selection in the AA squad.

Lachie Neale- Has to be a sure bet? Has been an absolute gun this season dominating in the midfield for us and creating a devastating 1-2 punch with Zorko. He is so clean and skilful, he's instantly stepped in and become our best player. The kind of player who can signal handedly give us a chance against any team in the comp if he is playing at his best. He is that damn good. When he is firing he is borderline unstoppable as he just continually finds the footy and uses it to find teammates in good positions. An extremely smart player. I love watching him play.

Dayne Zorko- Played his role to perfection and somewhat sacrificed his game for the better of the team. A genuine two way midfielder who creates a point of difference with his speed/attacking flair offensively and his elite tackling/pressure acts defensively. An absolute gun and am so glad he is our captain. Been super professional all year. When playing at his best he is still one of the best players in the comp to watch I reckon. That 3rd quarter against Sydney and all round game last week against the Dees were top, top class. Elite.

Charlie Cameron- Arguably the most exciting player in the comp when he's "on". Already kicked 29 goals for the year and 50 goals isn't completely out of the realms of possibility for this season. Always high on the list for score involvements. I love how unselfish he has been lately, always looking to set up teammates in a better position then himself. He's also super reliable when it comes to providing defensive pressure. A genuine point of difference who the opposition are constantly mindful of. One of the few players in the comp who can turn the game on it's head by proving that 5 minute spark where he either kicks 3 goals in quick succession or moves up the field and finds the footy, generating attacking plays with ball in hand. Most exciting player to watch in a Lions jumper since Aker.

Harris Andrews- Continues to play beyond his years with his level of maturity, consistency and composure. Incredibly reliable. Among the elite for intercept marks, 1% and spoils, will be an absolute joke if he isn't AA this season. A genuine case can be made that he is the best KPD in the comp. Contributes offensively as well with attacking kicks that kick start our ball movement out of the back line. Will captain the club one day.

Daniel Rich- Two games shy of 200 and playing the best footy of his career. Has found his spot as that quarter back style defender who sets up so many attacking forays with his elite kicking. Has also become a reliable defender. You can tell he is loving the success thus far this year and is hungry to play finals again. Has a hard edge to his game as well, always putting his body on the line. Probably been our most consistent player this year being in the top handful of players each game. I hope he get's AA recognition more than anyone else on our list.

Hugh McCluggage- Averaging 23 possessions and already kicked 16 goals this year. He is also regularly featured amongst the top of the list for score involvements. A super skilful and creative player whose confidence continues to grow. Just a smart, natural footballer who does it all, including laying some huge tackles. I think he could be our best player as soon as next year. Has improved year on year thus far and I think from next year he is ready to become a consistent, A grade midfielder. Such a smooth moving, polished player and yet he has that creativity and attacking flair in his game with his kicks inside 50 and goal kicking ability. What on earth were Essendon and GWS thinking when they passed on this bloke?

So yeah, I think we find ourselves in the top 4 off the back of having 6 A graders who have all had super consistent, high quality seasons. Been a long time since we've had more than probably two players in AA contention let alone 6. And yes that's not to discount the contribution of all of our other terrific players this season, including less flashy types like Gardiner, Lyons, Robinson and Stef.

I think the four guys who appear closest to stepping up to the A grade level and joining the guys above are Gardiner, Berry, McCarthy and Hipwood.

Gardiner as he is super consistent and criminally underrated, the perfect foil for Andrews. Arguably already there.

Berry as he has shown that potential in the past and had an interrupted season this year that's probably prevented him from propelling into that group.

McCarthy's game against GWS was A grade. He looked like Robbie Gary out there. Is finally getting an injury free run at it and getting some continuity and confidence in his game and it appears to be working wonders. He is starting to up his midfield minutes and using his class in that area of the ground and is starting to stand out more. If he becomes a little more consistent he'll easily be known as known as one of our best players.

And finally Hipwood. Has shown in games like last week against the Dees that he can single handedly drive us across the line. Just needs to become a little more consistent and he could be the biggest star on our list as a gun KPF.

Charlie Cameron- Arguably the most exciting player in the comp when he's "on". Already kicked 29 goals for the year and 50 goals isn't completely out of the realms of possibility for this season. Always high on the list for score involvements. I love how unselfish he has been lately, always looking to set up teammates in a better position then himself. He's also super reliable when it comes to providing defensive pressure. A genuine point of difference who the opposition are constantly mindful of.

The highlight of his game on the weekend was when the sheer threat of his speed in the open field made Shaw give away a professional free kick by grabbing Cameron while he ran past.

Looking to buy tickets for the norf game, thinking section 25. Will this area be full of norf supporters - any recommendations on where to sit?
Will they get enough North supporters to fill a section?

Nothing on Cox but Hinge is out for a bit with a Hammy!

D17F65B7-1F9E-4876-948F-4E9DEB27144B.jpeg

Maybe Cox had Hippy’s knee brace on as a bit of a joke?

Oct 13, 2015
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Fun stats discussion from Champion data on ESPN's AFL podcast:

• We are third in the AFL for inside 50s and third for scores per inside 50 (high quantity and quality of inside 50s). We are way more efficient than the rest of the top 5 in total inside 50s.
  • Zorko is the second most efficient kick inside 50 on a percentage basis (36 of his 72 have resulted in scores). Number one in that stat (Johanisen) has only had 36 inside 50s in total whereas Zorks is leading the league.
  • Jarrod Berry is also in the top 10 of most efficient inside 50s in the comp (a bit of a surprise to me but obviously a much lower total number of inside 50s)
  • Score sources - second best side at scoring from clearances (roughly 26% of clearances = a score) and second best side at scoring from intercepts/general play (roughly 20%).
  • We are third best defensively from opposition clearances, but the 5th easiest side to score against from turnover.
  • From rounds 1-10 we were -57 on intercepts differential (13th in the comp) and 1st for clearance points differential; however from rounds 11-15 - +51 points on intercepts differential (4th in the comp) and still 5th best in the comp in points differential from clearances.
  • Time in front - 54% of gametime this year which is 4th, only behind Geelong, Collingwood and GWS.

• We are third in the AFL for inside 50s and third for scores per inside 50 (high quantity and quality of inside 50s). We are way more efficient than the rest of the top 5 in total inside 50s.
  • Zorko is the second most efficient kick inside 50 on a percentage basis (36 of his 72 have resulted in scores). Number one in that stat (Johanisen) has only had 36 inside 50s in total whereas Zorks is leading the league.
  • Jarrod Berry is also in the top 10 of most efficient inside 50s in the comp (a bit of a surprise to me but obviously a much lower total number of inside 50s)
  • Score sources - second best side at scoring from clearances (roughly 26% of clearances = a score) and second best side at scoring from intercepts/general play (roughly 20%).
  • We are third best defensively from opposition clearances, but the 5th easiest side to score against from turnover.
  • From rounds 1-10 we were -57 on intercepts differential (13th in the comp) and 1st for clearance points differential; however from rounds 11-15 - +51 points on intercepts differential (4th in the comp) and still 5th best in the comp in points differential from clearances.
  • Time in front - 54% of gametime this year which is 4th, only behind Geelong, Collingwood and GWS.

Interesting stats. 5th easiest to score from against turnover isn't great but I feel like last four games we've made great improvement in that regard. I think it will be interesting after 22 games to compare that state from the first half to the second half of the season.

Nothing on Cox but Hinge is out for a bit with a Hammy!

View attachment 706229

Maybe Cox had Hippy’s knee brace on as a bit of a joke?

That might be hinge done if he's out of contract. Don't think he did enough this year to push for an extension. Bit sad.

That might be hinge done if he's out of contract. Don't think he did enough this year to push for an extension. Bit sad.
I quite like him and I hope he gets a year without Hodge on the list taking up a spot!
To show all, what he has got!

So we minimise turnovers, we win most games, simples!

M Malice

Hall of Famer
Aug 31, 2015
By the Gabba.
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Valleys. Chelsea.
I think he showed enough to be given another year but I'm just a random online know it all nuffie.

If he was to leave we should demand 2 1st rounders though. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back