Preview Lions 2019 Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Apr 4, 2015
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
This thread tonight has been an eye opener on a lot of guys here to me. Worse than reading political nutjobs on twitter.

If anyone wants to wear the scarf let them do it.

Who on earth cares.

BangyBangy

BangyBangyMightyLoins
Oct 16, 2013
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
This thread tonight has been an eye opener on a lot of guys here to me. Worse than reading political nutjobs on twitter.

Who on earth cares.

Agree. A bit of bandwagoning is not the most embarrassing thing a politician has done when it comes to sport.

This is.

Attachments

• 1567771955172.png
    1567771955172.png
    128.5 KB · Views: 123

Brett C

Club Legend
Oct 11, 2014
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Manchester United
I work there, and especially with the older generation (which there is a bit of here) the racial undertones are deafening. My favourite and one of the most recent quotes "couldn't they get any white kids to model" in relation to the front page of the catalog having black kids to model clothes. The look of disgust as they left the catalog behind said as much as the words did.
Nothing like a generalised comment about an area with approx 100,000 in the electorate that covers 800km2. Have lived within the area for the last 25 of the last 30 years and have never seen that sort of thing happen.

Lucky there’s never been isolated racism in any parts of the world.

Who on earth cares.

That logic obviously doesn't apply regardless of circumstance though. I think few people would be happy to see a convicted murderer wear a Lions scarf. I'm not drawing a comparison between Dutton and a murderer, I'm just using that example to say there is a line where you no longer would like that person wearing your team's scarf.

Everyone has their own opinions on this, but as far as I see it Dutton has been instrumental in one of the most inherently cruel, inhumane, heartless, and racist schemes the Australian government has ever been guilty of.

Some may dislike Dutton due to his seemingly wooden personality, but I don't care at all about that. His ongoing lack of even a shred of humanity or compassion for some of the most vulnerable people on this planet alongside unashamed lying about them with terms such as 'illegals' (it is not illegal to seek asylum by air, foot, or sea) makes him a pretty despicable person in my eyes.

Many in power in this country have used the inherent racism and fear-mongering in our country's culture to attain and maintain power, but very few have done it as shamelessly and heartlessly as Dutton.

FWIW, I can't imagine some at the club would be too stoked with it either with MDA being such a key partner of ours.

I think what makes it worse is the bandwagon jump on. I could somewhat tolerate it if he was a true supporter and had been a member and at most games over the past 10 years.

This is someone putting a scarf on for the hot team to try win some popularity from the masses. Dont use our club to try paper over the cracks in your horrible views.

Plenty of previous conservative immigration ministers wearing a Lions scarf wouldn’t make me bat an eyelid - but this guy is malfunctioning and incompatible.

Made me screw up my face seeing it.
Morrison?

Apr 4, 2015
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
That logic obviously doesn't apply regardless of circumstance though. I think few people would be happy to see a convicted murderer wear a Lions scarf. I'm not drawing a comparison between Dutton and a murderer, I'm just using that example to say there is a line where you no longer would like that person wearing your team's scarf.

Everyone has their own opinions on this, but as far as I see it Dutton has been instrumental in one of the most inherently cruel, inhumane, heartless, and racist schemes the Australian government has ever been guilty of.

Some may dislike Dutton due to his seemingly wooden personality, but I don't care at all about that. His ongoing lack of even a shred of humanity or compassion for some of the most vulnerable people on this planet alongside unashamed lying about them with terms such as 'illegals' (it is not illegal to seek asylum by air, foot, or sea) makes him a pretty despicable person in my eyes.

Many in power in this country have used the inherent racism and fear-mongering in our country's culture to attain and maintain power, but very few have done it as shamelessly and heartlessly as Dutton.

FWIW, I can't imagine some at the club would be too stoked with it either with MDA being such a key partner of ours.
OK.

Well that's just out and out political comment. The current policy was implemented by the previous Government.

Besides there are many people who don't agree at all with your comments.

You don't want to see Dutton wearing a Lion's scarf because you hate Dutton basically.

Personally I don't respect many politicians but I'm not going to take away their right to support a footy club whether I like them or not ,or whether they know anything about the game or not.

There's enough soapboxes all over SM without having to have another meltdown over it on your footy blog.

May 3, 2005
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Scuderia Ferrari, Dallas Cowboys
OK.

Well that's just out and out political comment. The current policy was implemented by the previous Government.

Besides there are many people who don't agree at all with your comments.

You don't want to see Dutton wearing a Lion's scarf because you hate Dutton basically.

Personally I don't respect many politicians but I'm not going to take away their right to support a footy club whether I like them or not ,or whether they know anything about the game or not.

There's enough soapboxes all over SM without having to have another meltdown over it on your footy blog.

You are dedicating a lot of energy to something that you’d rather not partake in.

Seems to me that flicking the scroll down button on your mouse a couple of times would be more logical than writing several diatribes.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Apr 4, 2015
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
You are dedicating a lot of energy to something that you’d rather not partake in.

Seems to me that flicking the scroll down button on your mouse a couple of times would be more logical than writing several diatribes.
Diatribes ? Me ?

Have you not read the other posts ? ?

Start up another thread and call it the Politics thread if you like . I'm cool with that.

I'm also cool with anyone in the public eye wearing our scarf.

What's with the name change?!?!?

lionraven

All Australian
Feb 17, 2016
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
There is th4 brown dog cafe near the gabba. Me thinks the name change is to stop bigfootyers asking for discounts from Hollowknight's aka formerly the brown dog's cafe

Dylan12

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 7, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Chelsea, Boston Red Sox
Interesting to see Clarkson and Bolton at the game. Have no doubt they’ll appear at the NEAFL tomorrow and will be meeting with a couple of our players this weekend.

Interesting to see Clarkson and Bolton at the game. Have no doubt they’ll appear at the NEAFL tomorrow and will be meeting with a couple of our players this weekend.
Possibly, though it'd be unusual for coaches to be doing that at this stage I'd have thought. I thought it was more likely they were up to support Fagan - there seems to be a definite brotherhood amongst those ex-Hawthorn coaches.

jackess

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts
Aug 10, 2005
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Possibly, though it'd be unusual for coaches to be doing that at this stage I'd have thought. I thought it was more likely they were up to support Fagan - there seems to be a definite brotherhood amongst those ex-Hawthorn coaches.

Longmire also in the crowd apparently.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back