Status
Not open for further replies.

Scubaveg

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 6, 2009
Carina
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
I wasn’t his greatest fan, though that he hasn’t (yet) played 100 games of AFL says how hard it is and gives context to the milestone that it is.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Robbo18! I’m shattered for Nick. He bleeds for the boys and his selflessness/courage on the footy field is something I’ve pointed out as great examples to my son plenty of times. Thanks for your efforts Nick, hopefully you get picked up as a DFA! PS. Buddy has never recovered from your hit and the lads always walked taller whenever you were in the team!!!

Deserves more than a like. Nick Robbo is what every parent wants their kids to be. Courageous, loyal and committed. He knows the reality of this business, but that won't stop him trying.

_Gin

Team Captain
Jun 27, 2008
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Robbo18! I’m shattered for Nick. He bleeds for the boys and his selflessness/courage on the footy field is something I’ve pointed out as great examples to my son plenty of times. Thanks for your efforts Nick, hopefully you get picked up as a DFA! PS. Buddy has never recovered from your hit and the lads always walked taller whenever you were in the team!!!
He is a good bloke and a relentless player. Glad to have been able to watch him play and wish him all the best.

Wish we had of kept him.

lioninthesand

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 22, 2016
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
The players aren’t in the dark, they would have known prior to the trade period what was going to happen. As supporters we should be the last ones to know what’s happening.

Yeah you are right. Still an extraordinarily high number of senior players still in limbo...unusual for any team this late. Plus Robbo announces then we rush something out for just him after he does it?

Oct 13, 2001
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Lions
Deserves more than a like. Nick Robbo is what every parent wants their kids to be. Courageous, loyal and committed. He knows the reality of this business, but that won't stop him trying.

I met him briefly at one of the early pre-season training sessions at Yeronga.

Genuinely good human being.

Moreover, a vastly underrated player IMO.

All the best to him. And much respect to Robbo18! who was a class act on this forum from the get go.:thumbsu:

I just hope that when Nick gets his new gig they let him keep number 18 to save our friend needing a name change!

Lions board will fund the $$$ for a name change.

BangyBangy

BangyBangyMightyLoins
Oct 16, 2013
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
How long till the 2020 fixture is released? I have so much time on my hands atm which could be much better wasted doing ladder predictors over & over again.

Nov 26, 2012
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Right - it's really not even worth calculating, because there's so much uncertainty. Whatever we determine now will certainly prove to be very wrong, as teams improve or decline next year.

You can do it in retrospect, though, after everyone's stopped caring! For example, this is what I have 2019:

Broken down by source of fixture advantage:

The types of advantage are:

1. Home Ground Advantage (HGA): Where you play.

2. Double-Up Games (Oppo): How strong the opponents are that you play twice.

3. Timing (Inouts): How strong your opponents are when you happen to play them (e.g. whether they have major Ins or Outs, or are going through a form slump / peak).

Home Ground Advantage was discussed a few posts earlier, and Double-Up Games everyone understands: it's tougher to play the Bulldogs twice than Gold Coast.

But timing is important, too, because in 2019, the Bulldogs were a more formidable opponent late in the season than early!

In 2019, Brisbane had the worst timing, catching a lot of teams at their peak, such as the Bulldogs and Richmond late. They played North in Round 2, before the wheels fell off, and then again in Round 18, just as the Roos were becoming good again.

Sydney and Richmond, by contrast, had excellent timing, mostly catching their opponents outside their peaks.

When you put it all together, GWS had the best 2019 fixture because they did well on all three measures: They had the 2nd-easiest double-up games (Gold Coast, Essendon, Hawthorn, Richmond, Sydney), the 5th best timing, and the 6th best Net Home Ground Advantage.

Sydney had a reasonably tough fixture if you only look at their double-up games (Geelong, GWS, Carlton, Essendon, Melbourne), but did well (in theory) on Home Ground Advantage and got exceptionally lucky on timing, so it was relatively good overall.

And North Melbourne had one of the hardest batches of double-up opponents in Brisbane, Essendon, Geelong, Hawthorn, and Port Adelaide - teams that finished 1st, 2nd, 8th, 9th, and 10th. That's a bit rough for a team that missed finals the year before and so was supposed to have a mid-tier draw! But that's what happens when a "bottom 6" team like Brisbane make the Top 4.
Some really great analysis (as always) by Final Siren on his Squiggle thread. Despite the claims of our "soft" draw we apparently had the worst timing on who we played when.

But still $2 million off the expenses?
Maybe.

Depends on if we're on a year to year lease, what the negotiated breakdown between facilities and game day end up being, what the outgoings for the new location is...

We'll be in a better position, put it that way, but assuming it's a simple $2m into the pocket is probably not quite right.

Maybe.

Depends on if we're on a year to year lease, what the negotiated breakdown between facilities and game day end up being, what the outgoings for the new location is...

We'll be in a better position, put it that way, but assuming it's a simple $2m into the pocket is probably not quite right.

You bean counter. Big win for the club and 2021 should be a substantial revenue boom.

You bean counter. Big win for the club and 2021 should be a substantial revenue boom.

I've been around here long enough to know that if I say yes someone will bump the thread when it's only $1.6m or so.

May 5, 2013
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Big boost in membership and ticket sales.
A profit increase of $1,778,458 coming from membership and ticket sales.
Wow and some people on this board think that ticket sales and membership are not that important to revenue .
Considering our dividend from Afl house was apprx. $1 million less it was the ticket sales/ membership that has taken us into the black.

A profit increase of $1,778,458 coming from membership and ticket sales.
Wow and some people on this board think that ticket sales and membership are not that important to revenue .
Considering our dividend from Afl house was apprx. $1 million less it was the ticket sales/ membership that has taken us into the black.
It also goes to show how backloaded that deal with Stadiums Queensland is. We need to get 18K I think to make a profit, but wow do we make a profit over that mark.

I think there's also a direct link between the two revenue streams - the AFL tips in less money if we bring in more via direct tickets and memberships.

May 5, 2013
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
I think there's also a direct link between the two revenue streams - the AFL tips in less money if we bring in more via direct tickets and memberships.
Okay that makes sense, also wondering what happens to our bad debt from previous years.
I'm guessing Afl house bails us out , but I'm also guessing it doesn't go unpaid and also affecting our future Afl dividend once we start making money.
I wonder what say a big money making club like Collingwood gets paid with their Afl dividend considering they generate a lot of patronage, ferels or not.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back