Women's Footy Lions AFLW 2023 (Season 8) Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Not sure how we could be bullied what leverage did they have over us ? We traded out analee and I can’t see why we need so many picks if we are picking from qld as gc don’t have a pick until the 30s. We should have used a player on someone who nominated in national draft if there was someone we wanted . We basically gave 12 away for free

Not sure how we could be bullied what leverage did they have over us ? We traded out analee and I can’t see why we need so many picks if we are picking from qld as gc don’t have a pick until the 30s. We should have used a player on someone who nominated in national draft if there was someone we wanted . We basically gave 12 away for free
SUPER MEGA TRADE: Eleven-club, 12-player deal blows open trade period

It ill about the health of the competition. How could we hold that up by being contrary?

For something like this to become reality - and fundamentally change a lot of lives - someone had to take unders. Take one for the team.

As reigning premiers, it is appropriate we play that role.

We must be about to delist/retire several players, otherwise, our draft picks vs list spots situation makes no sense whatsoever.
I can't find any info as to when we need to delist players, but the second free agent period start runs from tomorrow til Saturday. So, yeah it's quite likely I'd guess. Players like Sheridan, Wendland, Pregelj and Martin-Yoshida would be probably the list any further delistings come from.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It’s hard to tell if some of these players are pushed out or want to go. I do know Ella Smith was looking for an opportunity to play. Without ressies or opportunity to play state league some have not played a proper competitive game of footy in a long time

Melbourne was reigning premiers last year what did they give away for the good of the game ? And they have 3 first rounders this year

I think with the amount we have been plundered through the years, Brisbane have given enough to the competition

Very insular outlook. Glad the club is run by adults.

It’s hard to tell if some of these players are pushed out or want to go. I do know Ella Smith was looking for an opportunity to play. Without ressies or opportunity to play state league some have not played a proper competitive game of footy in a long time
They do play ressies games of sorts apparently, but more of the form of scratch matches.

This was very informative. The bit about mature age was off the mark though. There’s absolutely no way they’ll be recruiting Steph O’Brien and co I reckon

I don't know if we would have picked best available from the National pool at pick 12, or not, but was it worth holding on to?
It seems pretty evident the likely answer to the first question informs the answer to the second one.

Let's apply a little bit of critical thinking.

We traded out of pick 12 and received pick 21, 31 and 46.

The rules on AFLW academy matching this year is that you lose your next pick but it must be in the same round.

Hmmm... the last pick in the first round is pick 21. I'd wondered if there'd be a weird incentive for those late picks in a given round given the rule change and sure enough we're on it. We have three girls rated in the top 30 of the draft and now we have the last two picks in the first round to get them, otherwise we would have either had to take one at 12 anyway or miss out on one if they both went in the 12-21 range.

We also have three scattered across the second half of the second round to pick up the third option or whoever else we rate at that point.

The one thing that might have caught us out was Gold Coast trading out of pick 14, as only one of our highly rated girls nominated nationally and now we've got four picks before their first. However it also means that if we want we can jump on one of the GC academy girls at the end of the first round and they won't be able to match.

It's pretty self-evident that we're still focusing on Queensland talent. All clubs are still seeing interstate players return home, often after only a year or two, so getting those based in state is a huge advantage if the talent is there (sorry NSW) and we've proven there's more than enough up in Queensland to win premierships. Moving from 12 to the last pick in the first round is a positive in that context, similar to trading back for extra points in the men's draft.

It is really is a ridiculously set up competition. Just overlap more of the men's season and play the finals in the month after the AFL GF on a proper ground.

Let's apply a little bit of critical thinking.

We traded out of pick 12 and received pick 21, 31 and 46.

The rules on AFLW academy matching this year is that you lose your next pick but it must be in the same round.

Hmmm... the last pick in the first round is pick 21. I'd wondered if there'd be a weird incentive for those late picks in a given round given the rule change and sure enough we're on it. We have three girls rated in the top 30 of the draft and now we have the last two picks in the first round to get them, otherwise we would have either had to take one at 12 anyway or miss out on one if they both went in the 12-21 range.

We also have three scattered across the second half of the second round to pick up the third option or whoever else we rate at that point.

The one thing that might have caught us out was Gold Coast trading out of pick 14, as only one of our highly rated girls nominated nationally and now we've got four picks before their first. However it also means that if we want we can jump on one of the GC academy girls at the end of the first round and they won't be able to match.

It's pretty self-evident that we're still focusing on Queensland talent. All clubs are still seeing interstate players return home, often after only a year or two, so getting those based in state is a huge advantage if the talent is there (sorry NSW) and we've proven there's more than enough up in Queensland to win premierships. Moving from 12 to the last pick in the first round is a positive in that context, similar to trading back for extra points in the men's draft.

Good context, thanks

Remove this Banner Ad

Back