Lions are pushing for longer rookie contracts

Remove this Banner Ad

TOP draftees could be made to sign longer contracts as part of a proposal to discourage young stars from leaving after only two seasons.

The Herald Sun can reveal the AFL is considering increasing players’ first contracts from two to three years, especially for the gun youngsters taken in the first two rounds of the national draft.

However the AFL Players’ Association has opposed the move, believing it adds unnecessary restriction on player movement and is difficult to pre-determine a player’s worth in their third season.

Lions’ chief executive Greg Swann said the move had widespread support from clubs and would help interstate teams in particular thwart the go-home factor.

He said the move would also help protect lower-placed clubs’ best young talent when they were most vulnerable.

Swann said it takes a considerable amount of time for players to adjust to their new clubs and environments, especially when they are moving interstate.

“There is always a settling-in period for young players, which can sometimes affect their footy and that first-year goes very quickly,” Swann said.

“So, increasing it (first contracts) to three years gives them more time to adapt and settle in and I think that can turn into better results for the player and the club.”

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/a...n/news-story/8bcbbafdff865fc953d90dc6b12d42ee

No surprise the AFLPA says no because it restricts player movement... they shouldnt be moving after 2 years you twats!

They aent FAs, so they can only move via trade, and they can still be traded while under contract. 3rd year doesnt stop anything but players holding clubs to randsom.

No surprise the AFLPA says no because it restricts player movement... they shouldnt be moving after 2 years you twats!

They aent FAs, so they can only move via trade, and they can still be traded while under contract. 3rd year doesnt stop anything but players holding clubs to randsom.
It's a player driven competition.

It's a player driven competition.
Not sure what you mean by this, or how you see it should impact how things are done/approached.
I see the competition being club driven, and this view is obviously shared by the AFL (gotta have those big clubs being competitive and cheating ones let off the hook). The tribalism of clubland is what fans follow, and I can see greater player movement diluting that to an extent.

the AFLPA is the single greatest roadblock to achieving an even and fair competition.

I donw know why the AFL pays so much heed to their opinions. The players can no more afford a strike than the AFL can.

What difference does it make? A contract is essentially irrelevant in the modern game

I think one of the biggest advantages is changing the mindset of young draftees. In recent years it has seemed like some players look at their initial two years as a sort of apprenticeship they just have to trudge through and get over with before they can begin their career. It's hard to get a kid to buy in to a club with that mindset. I would have no issue with four year contracts for draftees from the first and second round but will still be pleased to see it increase to three.

An average rookie spends his first year getting used to the professional AFL environment, and his second getting used to on-field structures and plans. The third year is when the club should start getting on-field reward for those first two years of learning.

The AFLPA just don't give on anything. Obviously this is their opening posture but I wish they'd occasionally give a nod towards the bigger picture benefits of a strong 18 team competition to their constituents.

That said, the AFL goofed on this too. 3 year rookie contracts or 2 year + 1 year team option contracts should have been an absolute non-negotiable when they granted free agency.

interesting that players so often refer to the USA system(s) as examples for australia.

I haven't followed NBA trading too closely the last few years so these comments are from about 2-3 years ago and the system might have changed a bit. But NBA rookie contracts are 3 years with a club option for a 4th. after that the kids are restricted free agents (home club can match offers from other teams if they want) and the home club is also able to offer the most money (home club can offer something like +5% above the maximum contract allowable).

interesting that players so often refer to the USA system(s) as examples for australia.

I haven't followed NBA trading too closely the last few years so these comments are from about 2-3 years ago and the system might have changed a bit. But NBA rookie contracts are 3 years with a club option for a 4th. after that the kids are restricted free agents (home club can match offers from other teams if they want) and the home club is also able to offer the most money (home club can offer something like +5% above the maximum contract allowable).

Yep, the perception that player movement in the NBA and NFL is just a laissez-faire free-for-all is simply wrong. Not to mention the fact that most draftees to the NFL and NBA are 20+ year old college graduates who don't cry as soon as they are 500 metres from their house.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yep, the perception that player movement in the NBA and NFL is just a laissez-faire free-for-all is simply wrong. Not to mention the fact that most draftees to the NFL and NBA are 20+ year old college graduates who don't cry as soon as they are 500 metres from their house.

And players can be traded by the clubs, without requests/agreement from players.

What difference does it make? A contract is essentially irrelevant in the modern game

Apart from the mindset thing mentioned above, it also protects you at the trade table a bit. Look at Aish last year. North were reportedly willing to offer appreciably more than Collingwood but Aish was out of contract and had us over a barrel.

A 3 year contract allows us to say "okay, you want the bright lights of Melbourne after two years... it's North Melbourne for you or you stay here and try your hand again next year... if the Pies are still interested that is...".

Apart from the mindset thing mentioned above, it also protects you at the trade table a bit. Look at Aish last year. North were reportedly willing to offer appreciably more than Collingwood but Aish was out of contract and had us over a barrel.

A 3 year contract allows us to say "okay, you want the bright lights of Melbourne after two years... it's North Melbourne for you or you stay here and try your hand again next year... if the Pies are still interested that is...".
I get your point but I think you breezed over the "try again next year" aspect all too easily. We saw with Cam McCarthy if a player doesn't get his way they're willing to sit out a year of footy. Plus carrying a disenchanted player in an already questionable culture probably wouldn't have helped us in the long-term.

I think it might be time to raise the draft age. Give them a year out of school to mature and work and hopefully they'll appreciate the opportunity they get to play at an AFL club.

Not sure what you mean by this, or how you see it should impact how things are done/approached.
I see the competition being club driven, and this view is obviously shared by the AFL (gotta have those big clubs being competitive and cheating ones let off the hook). The tribalism of clubland is what fans follow, and I can see greater player movement diluting that to an extent.
Via the PLayers Association the players have a very large say in the running of the competition in regards to EB, FA and also trades, contracts and slice of the pie. This has grown over time and this is seen by the ability of players to move whilst in contract. Currently from the clubs there is a big movement for the contracts of draftees to be extended and this has been knocked on the head by the PA. This is only one example of how via the PA that the players have a very big say in how things are run IMO. If it was club driven as you say players would be able to be traded at a whim.

I wonder is Aish feels cheap after being used as a one year stand.

Via the PLayers Association the players have a very large say in the running of the competition in regards to EB, FA and also trades, contracts and slice of the pie. This has grown over time and this is seen by the ability of players to move whilst in contract. Currently from the clubs there is a big movement for the contracts of draftees to be extended and this has been knocked on the head by the PA. This is only one example of how via the PA that the players have a very big say in how things are run IMO. If it was club driven as you say players would be able to be traded at a whim.
True. Although eventually they will shoot themselves in the foot.
I agree that players are setting the agenda at the moment. I guess what I don't get from your comment was whether you think that is a good or bad thing or if you were just stating a fact without opinion.

Pretty much spot on.

First round draft picks are signed to a 3 year contract, with a club option for a 4th year. Then they become a RFA.

Basically if the club wants to keep you, you are tied to the club for 7 years before you can become an Unrestricted free agent.

Of course the team can decide to trade you at any time, to any club, and you have no say in it.

But remember, the minimum salary is about US$1mil now.

I just wonder where all this ends up. This trade period has shown just how meaningless contracts are and how the balance has tipped towards the players having the upper hand.

By no means do I support the clubs having full power either but at the moment the trades being requested by players nominating clubs still in contract, shows how little control the smaller weaker clubs have, especially if the big boys are even struggling to deal with it. Add in the supposed removal of FA compensation and clubs are left to try and piece together the remains of deals they didn't want to enter into.

The "send you to the draft" is an empty threat, but there has to be a mechanism to allow the clubs to seek recompense somehow if the ease of player movement is seen as vital.

Draft/trade period has become such a convoluted, complex, utensil up that it almost needs wiping clean and starting again.

I'd like to see a contract system where the club can move a player on inside the contract but the length and terms of the remainder of that contract get picked up by the target club.

As some measure of protection to players, they would have the option of a "no trade" clause to be inserted at the outset, although this would be by mutual agreement on a case by case basis.

Not sure what this will accomplish though. The whole McCarthy fiasco just shows kids are willing to sit out an entire season of their career if it means they'll get home.

So two years or three, if a kid decides hes had enough he just digs his heels in, refuses to play or even use the mental health get-out-of-jail card and then they get traded.

The past few years have shown Contracts are not worth the paper they are signed on. Hell, Hanley is still contracted for a few years but has asked to leave and we are letting him.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back