Lions bandwagon

Remove this Banner Ad

garp

Draftee
Aug 24, 2001
I've always been ambivalent about the Brisbane Lions, but I secretly hope they make the grand final. Does anyone else hope the MCG resounds to the "Boys of Old Fitzroy" song on grand final day, even if it's from us drunkards in the stand, outside the ground and in Fitzroy pubs?

Bloody hell is ambivalent catchy, and don't care if they make even the final 8, my views, I know lots have others, but the song a bastardised version of a great song written by a legend in Billy Stephen.

How do you all of a suuden get on??

I still have the words of Noel Gordon ringing in my ears, and the fact that the Brisbane faction have held the club to ransom all these years (although this situatiuon has been remedied).

I really couldn't give a continental about the AFL at the moment, and although this might sound vindictive, I hope a few other clubs are forced to merge, just so these supporters feel like we have for the past 5 years.

Then, hopefully I won't get anymore stupid comments like "at least there is some of your club left"

Originally posted by rabs68
I really couldn't give a continental about the AFL at the moment, Although this might sound vindictive, I hope a few other clubs are forced to merge, just so these supporters feel like we have for the past 5 years.

I can understand that. I've felt the same way too, actually.

While I haven't actually pinpointed a club, I guess I've just "hoped" in some way or another, that the Roys wouldn't be the only ones, the "unlucky bastards" who went through what we did.

I'm glad I'm not the only one who feel this way.

I was looking at the Age website yesterday and there was an article on the Roys from the 1983 final against Hawthorn.

I really miss not having a side anymore, and I just hope that one day I can regain the passion I felt for the Roys.

i read the age article yesterday, and then at my desk licking stamps and photocopying i began reminiscing. sitting beneath the southern stand, under a rug, in 1986 during september, watching bernies harris and quinlan help us beat a pack of mercenaries (williams, healy, nagle et al) was absolute joy. heaps of games at prince's park v collingwood, v north, v carlton 92 etc etc, not to mention all of 1983 at the junction. i miss our royboys...sniff.... sorry, toowoomba, logan,...er brisbane not for me.

the thing that makes me sick to the stomach, is that the AFL just now states "der, y'know... perhaps we should assist some of the poorer, less supported sides, to ensure we have a vibrant people friendly game" this stinks. i know this is ultimately driven by a news corp 16 team fixture guarantee, however if the roys had made it to this year, then survival in the long term would have been assured. actually, guess roys would be here today, if the constant underground attacks from a ross oakley/mike sheahan collaboration had not undermined attempts to survive.

people scoffed when i prophesized that unless some traditional sides were 'assisted' a little on the financial side, then you'll end up with 5 victorian sides, some club names and jerseys would be unrecognisable, media barons will run the clubs and be presidents in a superleague style comp. you'll only be able to drink light beer from plastic cups, and you'll end up playing footy in closed roofed stadiums. next thing you know, they'll ban the shirtfront.

i miss the royboys.

Noel

Memories are made of this.

I remember us beating Collingwood at Vic Park in 1979 by 80 odd points, and being warned by my Mum to keep a lid on my excitement until the train got to the city, as the Collingwood scum didn't take too kindly to being thrashed by the Roys.

It still feels good being a Roy boy though.

I always be lived there was a long term stratagy on the Harrison House crowd to get rid of the Roys back to the early eighties -
if we were still in the big league in 2001 they'd still be trying to get rid of us - regardless
:(

They first started on us in the late 70's, when the push was on to "nationalise" the game.

If I remember correctly the Keith Weigard/Leon Weigard ticket won the presidential election in 1980, defeating Frank Bibby who was keen for the Roys to head north. After the Weigard boys got in the VFL set their sights on South, and the rest is history.

There actually was an article in Inside Football in the 70's by one Royce Hart that he hoped in the near future sides like Fitzroy, would be playing Frankston and not be in the VFL, and the Wiegard ticket was not the only one that reared it's head in the late 1800's or early 1900's there was mention to get rid of Fitzroy as there were to many teams in that area.
And agian when a reform group at Fitzroy in about 1925-6 there was an election at Fitzroy which the entire committe was forced out because they had broken the bank.
And again in the 1930's when the Fitzroy designed Zone System, drawn up on an old railway map (I have the original and all the papers pertaining to it), another reform group took over because of this and we thought we had heard the end of it but alas it came back to haunt us in the 60's.
So there have been several times when Fitzroy nearly didn't exist, I suppose we were lucky to have had it for so long, but we still should be there if now they are going to prop up others.
And a small bit on Mike Sheahan I have an audio tape that Tonya Stevens did with Mike and Bernie Q where Mike said that in the exchange for Roos we got the better with Holmes and Roos was a goner (never realeased and I have it). (sorry to go on)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

There's some fascinating information here, but to steer the discussion back to its original thread, about the Lions bandwagon:D ,I was very impressed with Michael Voss' interview on Talking Footy this week.

He claimed the Lions players were all embarrassed & ashamed of their effort against Carlton earlier this year. The Fitzroy Team of the Century was honoured that day & he felt the Lions had let down the Fitzroy champions by their insipid display in that game. He inferred that that embarrassment had spurred the team on to its winning streak over the rest of the season.

Voss seems like a good bloke. I'd be quite happy to see him dedicate the 2001 AFL Premiership to those past Fitzroy champions.:D

Well said, FP!

Although I don't see the Brisbane Lions as being Fitzroy, I am certainly extremely happy to see them take on board some of the traditions and aspects of the club, as well as honouring the club and its players in any way possible.

CARN THE LIONS!!!

The AFL want you to become part of the bandwagon if Brisbane win or play in the Grand Final. It's all part of their plan to show that non-vitorian clubs do have some support in Melbourne.

Being ambivelant about the whole thing but still wanting the theme songs show that their is some interest in the Brisbane Bears-Fitzroy merger. Screw the lot of the and watch the Rugby league grand final on the Sunday. At least their commentators don't take themselves to seriously.

Just don't let Richmond win.

Having no team is better than a merged one ?, perhaps I should contact the people I knew at the Kinglake football club, and you might get a different answer.

Although I don't get the bitterness that you show towards Brisbane (I know that they screwed up a few times, and we don't want to get into an argument about that again), you should re-direct that anger and follow local football or the Reds, they need the money and they will be glad having you on board.

I wish the lions and the reds the best of luck in thier respective finals series.

But, if Fitzroy bought the land where the Bostick factory now lies, near the railway in Thomastown, and developed a new home ground, like they where planning to (only in a preliminary stage), I can't help but to wonder if things would've been different.

As an old Lions supporter from Adelaide (pre-Crows thank god) who moved up to Brisbane - I'm like a pig in sh*t. Selfish I know, but.....:D

Remove this Banner Ad

Back