Mod. Notice Lions board feedback thread

Remove this Banner Ad

It's that time of the year. Perhaps a rumours thread might be the way to go, to channel all the crap into the one spot.

Need a new exodus thread, I reckon.

Over the last 13 years it is fair to say that the Lions board is no longer for all fans. Footy fans are a little crazy, they are a little over opinionated and they come from all walks of life. Recently I have been disgusted with the constant attacks on the posters who are a little left of centre. What also concerns me is the pack mentality on this forum when someone disagrees with an eccentric poster, all the wolves come out to back them into the wall.

This board was once great because it was anonymous lions fans who loved the club just being able to discuss footy. There were few mods and very little was off limits. Now we have a number of keyboard legends positioning themselves as the most knowledgeable about the inside workings of the club and players. I mean who can forget the concept of developing a private thread was so that opposition clubs weren't able to get on bigfooty and glean information from our posters and hence sabotaging our club's chances in the season!

It would be good if things could change around here and we could stop banning our friends who probably need this forum most. Embrace them for the humour they bring and take a look at yourself the next time you decide to jump on an anti a certain poster bandwagon!

I like it how it is. I get sick of reading the dribble that comes out of some posters keyboards, it's not constructive, it's not thought provoking, it's ranting and raving and lashing out with no hint of discussion. Too often the aninimity te Internet gives people proves too tempting and they fly off the handle about something, an when questioned by many looking to debate the points raised, they go down swinging until the red card kicks in.

I've had some solid discussions with posters on here with different views, and I've enjoyed the different perspectives they being, but this is only when they want to actually discuss things and not rant and rave. I work in retail and it's very much human behavior, people don't like something or have a problem, they often just want to have their whinge and make a fuss, not a actual solution to their problem. Often when encounted by logic they lash out more before leaving, works very much the same here.

This is a place for discussion, if you put a view out there be prepared to back it up with some thought and reasoning, it is after all why we are here. If I wanted to just bitch and whinge is go o face book and wallow in he self pity of the contributors there.

Chopper, you make some great points. I don't mind some of that shoot from the hip, not able to control your emotions posting, that it was footy grounds look like all over Australia at all levels. My concerns revolve around the attacking of the literacy levels of some posters and the banning mentality of our mods. I also like it when opposition supporters come on the board and bait us. This unfortunately results in them being removed from the Lions forum.

Chopper, you make some great points. I don't mind some of that shoot from the hip, not able to control your emotions posting, that it was footy grounds look like all over Australia at all levels. My concerns revolve around the attacking of the literacy levels of some posters and the banning mentality of our mods. I also like it when opposition supporters come on the board and bait us. This unfortunately results in them being removed from the Lions forum.

I can understand the crackdown on opposition supporters for two reasons - a) there's already a place for that (Bay 13), and b) the Lions board lets more opposition crap than most of the other boards. Go on most of the other team boards and re-post what their supporters post here and you'd be banned before you've had a chance to turn around.

I'm with dlanod on this one, if you want some banter with flogs from other clubs you can easily go find it in the bay. Those that don't want that kind of thing shouldn't have to suffer a constant barrage of flogs coming through our boards. As for spelling and grammar, it's only the real god aweful stuff that gets hit a bit hard, but you need standards. There are a lot of spelling mistakes that go overlooked, some get pointed out in good fun, especially mine now that 99% of my posting is via iPhone autocorrect is always looking to screw me over. But entire posts that are formatted badly and are very hard to read do need to be fixed. Im not fantastic at writting either, but this place works off a written form of communication. If you want to be here, contribute and interact with other posters you gotta sort out ya s**t.

Apparently this applies to online footy forums as well.

Trackur-Talking-About-You.png

I think the moderators do a great job, myself. Probably don't say that often enough, really.

I suppose there is a bit of a pack mentality on here at times, but I don't really see that as the mods' responsibility.

In the past I've had an issue with what I saw as different standards for those who praise certain aspects of the club and those who criticise them, but thinking about it some more I reckon it's fair enough that we choose our words a bit more carefully when we want to say something negative about club figures. That reflects what you have to do in the real world, after all.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Typed this offline before the thread got combined

I guess I am 50/50 on your issue acuguy. I think your thread title went too far. However the issues you raise in your text are worth considering.

Not all of us have had the benefit of a university education or are articulate in the written form. It takes me quite a while to construct my ideas into a readable form. Does that make my ideas less valuable because I want to contribute something but don’t articulate it in a prefect form? On the other hand long posts without punctuation do my head in. As do posters that repeat the same opinion without adding anything in way of reasoning.

There are a few posters who contribute sarcastic throw away lines along the line of “as soon as I see an opinion from a poster who doesn’t go to reserve matches I ignore…”. I feel disempowered when I read stuff like this.

On the other hand there have been instances when I have sweated over a couple of paragraphs which I thought were an OK opinion and had “this is bulls***”” comment as a reply. So I can appreciate that posters, who do take the time and effort to provide quality insights (and generally well written) into what is happening around the club in terms of NEAFL and training, get irritated with a reply that absolutely rejects their information without any evidence to support the opinion.

I suppose it is about balance. Don’t want to come across as a mod’s pet acuguy but I think generally the balance here isn’t too bad. Thanks for raising the issue.

I don't presume to speak for the rest of the mods, but I'll give you my thoughts here.

I tend to pride myself on letting a great deal go. Not only from opposition posters, but from this board as well. I've been a vocal proponent of diversity of opinion through my entire time as a moderator, and I actively encourage it at all times. I really enjoy seeing the robust discussion that it creates, and I really believe that it makes the board an interesting and challenging (in a good way) place to be. There's nothing better than seeing a lively discussion with good points all round. Input from opposition posters is also actively encouraged, and banter is more than welcome. This definitely adds colour to the place. Often you blokes do the responding brilliantly, and there is no need for intervention. Aggressive trolling on the other hand is nipped in the bud, because nobody likes that s**t.

In terms of readability, spelling, punctuation, etc, I think that we accommodate for the full spectrum here ( knaf I don't think you have anything to worry about with your posts). We tend not to look for Joyce's 'Ulysses' in the posts here in terms of format and style, and really seek substance more than the dressing. Some posts really do cross the line though, and consistently poor posting to the point of unreadability is looked at. I'm of the opinion that this type of posting actually takes away from the quality of the board, and takes away its attractiveness as a destination for new posters who want to share their thoughts and get involved in footy discussion.

Likewise, posts that consistently and aggressively argue the same point with no substance or evidence to back it up will draw attention after a while. Again I feel that this takes away from the boards attractiveness to new posters, and should be addressed if it continues. Again, in addressing these types of posts and posters, the aim is minimal intervention. It is a narrow and difficult path to follow, but a necessary one nonetheless.

Again, that's just how I see it. Minimal intervention, encouraging robust discussion and ensuring that the board is an attractive prospect for newbies. Your feedback is appreciated acuguy. I can imagine that the board is a very different place to what is was when you came aboard.

The "pack mentality" allegations always raise my eyebrow. I struggle to see how anyone could honestly be surprised that the majority of the demographic on a team board skews towards a positive/optimistic slant on the club.

Would kinda like be going to a Greens Party meeting and whinging about the number of lefties there and then claiming a pack mentality exists because they didn't applaud your speech about climate change being a scam.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back