Prediction Lions Brownlow Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

May 5, 2011
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
This preview is made easier by the fact that we are unlikely to poll in the majority of our games:-
  • Round 1 - 64 point loss v WCE (perhaps an outside chance of Daniel Rich scoring a vote).
  • Round 3 - 69 point loss v Geelong.
  • Round 5 - 53 point loss v WBD.
  • Round 7 - 77 point loss v PTA.
  • Round 8 - 78 point loss v Collingwood.
  • Round 9 - 63 point loss v Melbourne
  • Round 12 - 83 point loss v Fremantle
  • Round 14 - 42 point loss v Richmond
  • Round 16 - 26 point loss v GC
  • Round 17 - 79 point loss v GWS
  • Round 19 - 94 point loss v PTA
  • Round 20 - 138 point loss v Adelaide
  • Round 22 - 60 point loss v Geelong
  • Round 23 - 58 point loss v St Kilda
Sidenote: this season was absolutely brutal

On a brighter note, let's turn to our wins (yep all 3 of them):
  • Round 4 v Gold Coast - Pearce Hanley was outstanding and won the medal, and is a lock for 3. The remaining votes are tricky. Tom Lynch from the Suns would probably be next in line, although Daniel Rich and Zorko both played well for the Lions. Let's say Hanley 3, Rich and Zorko 0-2 each.
  • Round 18 v Essendon - Tom Rockliff was immense with 38 disposals, 12 marks, 9 tackles and a goal. It's hard to see anyone else getting the 3 votes. The other potential vote getters from the Lions are Daniel Rich, Stefan Martin and Pearce Hanley. It's also possible that Zach Merrett or Goddard could pinch a vote. I will say Rockliff 3, Rich 1-2, Martin 0-2, and Hanley 0-1.
  • Round 21 v Carlton - the pundits seem to be split between Rockliff and Zorko for the 3 votes but I favour Zorko here due to a number of highlight plays in the first half. Mitch Robinson may score a vote, but there is some threat from the Carlton players for the minor votes including Curnow and Cripps. I'll give Zorko 3, Rockliff 2 and Robinson 0-1.

And finally we have a few games where we might score votes in losing efforts:
  • Round 2 - 34 point loss v North Melbourne. Waite and Wells will probably get the major votes. I think Zorko has some chance of a single vote due to some highlights and 148 Supercoach points, and give him 0-1 here.
  • Round 6 - 3 point loss v Sydney. This is a tricky one. Franklin was superb with 5 goals (including one or two of incredible quality) and I expect him to take the 3 votes. For the remaining votes, I think that Parker, Hannebery and Zorko are all in the mix and it's very difficult to split them. Mitch Robinson also played a great game but I don't think he will be in the votes. I give Zorko 0-2 here.
  • Round 10 - 48 point loss v Hawthorn. The Lions were in the mix for three quarters and I think that a vote could well be forthcoming. Lewis and Rioli should get the major votes, but I think Robinson or Christensen will probably get the 1 vote (0-1 votes each). Zorko is an outside chance here too.
  • Round 11 - 38 point loss v Carlton. Despite the loss, Tom Rockliff is a real chance for the 3 votes with 48 disposals and 208 Supercoach points. Ed Curnow from the Crows is probably the threat (or perhaps Jacob Weitering). No other Lion has a chance of polling here. I give 2-3 to Rockliff.
  • Round 13 - 49 point loss v West Coast. It's difficult to see how the votes will be apportioned between the two teams. The Eagles won comfortably but the Lions had most of the standout performers from a statistical standpoint. Mitch Robinson was probably Brisbane's best, but there is also an outside chance for Rockliff or Zorko. I'll give Robinson 0-2.
So here's my final tally:
  • Rockliff 7-8
  • Zorko 3-8
  • Hanley 3-4
  • Rich 1-4
  • Robinson 0-4
  • Martin 0-2
  • Christensen 0-1
Rockliff should be our top vote getter, as he has the 3 strong polling games, but I would not be surprised if Zorko takes it out. He was our best player this year and is flashy, so he would be the most likely to get an unexpected vote here or there.

Great preview, thanks. In terms of betting maybe a little value on Zorko at $3.50 but I don't want to be relying on him picking up a vote here or there in losses. Sportsbet have an interesting market up, "Will Zorko beat his 2015 tally of 5 votes?" Yes 1.70, No 3.00, Tie 4.50

If I was a Lions player it would probably feel a bit awkward fronting up to the Brownlow after the season we had. Maybe that's just me.

Although, I suppose it gives the opportunity for the missus to get dolled up for a night.

Robbo and Zorko could probably walk in with their heads held high. A few others might feel a bit like imposters this year.

Anyway, give the damn thing to Dangerfield at the start and then everyone can get on with the night without having to listen to Bruce more than necessary.

I actually think Zorko will win the Lions count. Even against the Suns earlier in the year, you have to give him the 2 votes ahead of Lynch. If I recall, he had a 13 disposal quarter and ripped the Suns to shreds - surely the umps take notice of that.

The winner will poll more votes than our entire team.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Anyone see the footage of Travis Boak being interviewed by the kids earlier? Looks to have had a fake tan stuff up. Traffic cone orange.

Could we possibly pole the lowest collective amount of votes for all our players combined? In the history of the universe?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back