Autopsy Lions get Naught in English Test - Rd 4, 2021

Remove this Banner Ad

I have to admit that Lewis Young did make the match committee look a bit stupid today. However by all accounts he hasn't exactly been dominating VFL so it would have been hard to predict that he was capable of a performance like that. I also thought Keath played his best game for the club today. Everyone wants to talk sh*t about our backline but they held up bloody well today.
It happens with some blokes the better the level the better they perform. And Lewy would be aware that time is running out if he doesn't make a fist of it this year

Weightman been playing a lot of midfield, I wonder if that’s to fast track his tank to get him into the side. His defensive pressure is elite and he’s got tricks around goals. Probably not the silkiest/cleanest player but I think he could do some good things in this forward line.
Playing as a mid would definitely help with building a tank and also sharpen contested work at ground level. Hope he can make the jump soon.

The young of old was pretty inconsistent. On a bad day, he was very bad. With Gardner, he plays the structures and is getting better every game. Apart from his first handful of games, he hasn’t had his pants pulled down after that. It will be a good problem to have if they are both capable and battling it out for the key back position.
They don’t need to fight for a position. Should be Keath Gardner Young in the backline if Young continues his good work. With Crozier Daniel Williams Duryea the other backmen.

You’re wrong mate. I know for a fact that some of our recruiting team wanted Paddy Ryder when he was available but Bevo wasn’t keen. We missed an opportunity there and think Bevo has been a fan of Martin for years so that helped him get to us.
Bevo wasn’t the only one not rating Ryder at the time including Hinkley

I'm not saying Scott played anything but a poor game but people are measuring with the wrong yardstick. We're not lacking for disposal winners in this team, and it's not as if he's a weak link in a team that's failing to beat the opposition in total disposal H2H.

I'm not saying Scott played anything but a poor game but people are measuring with the wrong yardstick. We're not lacking for disposal winners in this team, and it's not as if he's a weak link in a team that's failing to beat the opposition in total disposal H2H.

I think it is more about making the team more complete and dangerous up front.

Giving West and / or Cavarra 4 games in a row will make a world of difference - they have a higher ceiling in my view.

You could add Weightman to that if he starts performing in VFL. We can carry 1 or 2 each week for now.

However, a great 22 is always judged by its weakest 4 or 6 players. That’s the hole that needs to be plugged eventually.

Had similar thoughts. English, Naughton, Smith will all get $800k offers elsewhere.

Need a few to take a discount to stay.

Could do a Carlton and pay them unders and make them ambassadors for Disney in Australia. (Like the Blues did with Judd and VISY).

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I thought Stef Martin said in his radio interview that the Dogs had been trying to pry him out of Brisbane for the last 2-3 years. I think we can accept that we (the club) knew it was an area of concern some time ago...but they couldn't land their man...till this year. Timing is everything though and this is probably the best year for him (Martin) to arrive. Timmy has been to the school of hard knocks over the last couple of years but I suspect the pay off is this year and beyond.
Yeah, Dogs have been after Stef for at least 4 years.

Lewis Young needs to be left in the side to solidify his spot. His last 2 games in the seniors have been above par and he needs to be persisted with.
Astro Naughton is like a really good version of Stuart Wigney...
1988-0404-Round-0122-Footscray-v-Sydney-HSV-7-2nd-qtr-@-14.20.png 1988-0404-Round-0122-Footscray-v-Sydney-HSV-7-2nd-qtr-@-14.20.png Stuart-Wigney-from-1991-Round-8-Melbourne-v-Footscray-@-2.01.46_150x130_acf_cropped.png Stuart-Wigney-from-1991-Round-8-Melbourne-v-Footscray-@-2.01.46_150x130_acf_cropped.png

I enjoyed the previous two weeks immensely, and as I said, we're finding other ways to win which is great.

But I've had more fun in a dentist chair than I did watching the last qtr....
Sure but the 2nd was a joy. Watching 3 seriously competitive tall forwards. Wow. I’ve never seen that in 50 years of watching the boys.
And haven’t Adz and Step been huge pick ups. Thanks again Pies.
But some strange umpiring decisions, no downfields paid in the first half hurt us, then they were suddenly being paid and that non-mark for Josh - what the??

CDE98496-966A-4A00-BC94-60763C2022E7.jpeg
Dale, #1 ranked general defender through four rounds. Would never have guessed he could be this good. I was loudly complaining about robbing peter but the three bigs are taking care of business up front.

I still think a couple more genuine crumbing forwards would take us to a whole nother level but I am happy to say that I was completely wrong about moving Dale back.

View attachment 1100191
Dale, #1 ranked general defender through four rounds. Would never have guessed he could be this good. I was loudly complaining about robbing peter but the three bigs are taking care of business up front.

I still think a couple more genuine crumbing forwards would take us to a whole nother level but I am happy to say that I was completely wrong about moving Dale back.
That's only up to Rd 3 isn't it?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back