Autopsy Lions get Naught in English Test - Rd 4, 2021

BulldogJake

All Australian
Jul 24, 2016
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Feels like Naughton is on the verge of a bag a la Richmond 2019 or Adelaide last year. He's playing extremely well just hasn't quite finished off his good work.
If weather permits (in games in Canberra and MCG), Naughton will be a good chance over the next 3 weeks. Hopefully does it more than once this season.

stefcep

All Australian
Jun 6, 2016
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Macrae is fast becoming one of if not the best dogs midfielder of all time.

Fight me

You know when the commentators say about some random players "he goes about his game quietly"? Well that's because that player isn't damaging the opposition enough, otherwise we'd notice.

Macrae is that player.

So for possession stats? Sure.

But *effective* possession stats? Too early to say- I rate Brian Royal as a more effective midfielder. Just my $0.02

You know when the commentators say about some random players "he goes about his game quietly"? Well that's because that player isn't damaging the opposition enough, otherwise we'd notice.

Macrae is that player.

But *effective* possession stats? Too early to say- I rate Brian Royal as a more effective midfielder. Just my $0.02
Macrae is our no 1 inside 50 player (scores per inside 50 entry).
The myth that he isn't damaging with possession needs to die. I don't think I've ever seen a player who willingly takes a hit/tackle when handballing more than Jack just so the next player in the possession chain has a little more time.

The myth that he isn't damaging with possession needs to die. I don't think I've ever seen a player who willingly takes a hit/tackle when handballing more than Jack just so the next player in the possession chain has a little more time.
Also literally ranked #1 in the competition for effective disposals.

Sep 7, 2015
AFL Club
Tasmania

Macrae is that player.

Worst take of the year. Congrats.

They beat him up every week and his teammates get clean footy for his sacrifice. He is a gem.

stefoid

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 8, 2002
home
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
They beat him up every week and his teammates get clean footy for his sacrifice. He is a gem.

Who the opposition tags tells you what you need to know. There were times over the last couple of years where McRae copped a tag (the sign of a very good player), but usually it is Bont. No opposition teams want Bont to get 30+ possessions.

Macrae is that player.

Get in the bin

Feb 11, 2008
West Footscray
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Chicago Bulls
Who the opposition tags tells you what you need to know. There were times over the last couple of years where McRae copped a tag (the sign of a very good player), but usually it is Bont. No opposition teams want Bont to get 30+ possessions.
Not always. Sometimes it's about who they think they can put off their game. JJ for example. Daniel seems another. Who seem to cop a tag and fall apart.

Wetdog

I really am Aker.
Jun 23, 2008
Williamstown
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Melbourne Victory
I am a big Macrae fan. Most underrated midfielder in the AFL.

But I feel the need to make this clear - Brian Royal was an absolute champion for our club. He was my childhood hero.

They are completely different players in different eras. No comparison should be made!

Edit - Royal is in our Hall of Fame and rover in our team is the century (ahead of Libba Snr who’s on the interchange) and 1983 B&F winner. Sorry, I will cease with the fan boy behaviour.

Last edited:

Gunsyd

Rookie
Apr 7, 2017
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Macrae really does love playing at Eureka, I really don't know why he doesn't take more shots his accuracy is not that bad.

Young looked solid, the best he's ever looked actually. 5 marks all intercepts, 2 frees for and even moved up the ground for 3 inside 50s. He finished with 80 ranking points which is excellent for a KPP.

Having Treloar and Macrae at most centre bounces has been a godsend, while Libba has the clearances kicks Macrae and Treloar are almost unstoppable by hand.

Bont was alright but I didn't think he was that influential but somehow The Age gave him votes. Daniel and Vandermeer have had 3 very poor weeks which is a worry.

Dale has been excellent down back and actually had the better of Williams today.

Now as always here are some of the rarer stats…

Expected Score
WB: 84
BL: 52

Centre Bounce Attendance
19 - Macrae
18 - Martin
15 - Treloar
13 - Bontempelli
11 - Liberatore
9 - Dunkley
4 - English

Ruck Contests (Hitouts/To Advantage)
65 - Martin (30/6)
27 - English (8/4)
7 - Keath (2/0)

Hitouts To Advantage

WB: 10
BL: 12

First Possessions
WB: 47
BL: 39

Clearances/Effective Clearances
WB: 40/32
BL: 44/38

Tackle Efficiency
WB: 74%
BL: 57%

Forward Half Contested Marks
WB: 11
BL: 10

Score Launches
3 - Bontempelli, Macrae
2 - English, Martin, Wood, Young
1 - Bruce, Daniel, Dunkley, Hunter, Liberatore, Naughton, Smith, Treloar, Williams

Shots At Goal
WB: 26 (38%)

BL: 15 (53%)

Targets Inside 50
14 - Naughton
11 - Bruce, English
3 - Scott
1 - Bontempelli, Dunkley, Duryea, Keath, Martin, Vandermeer

Unforced Turnovers
WB: 10
BL: 16

No Pressure Errors
WB: 4
BL: 8

Turnovers Punished By Goals + Scores From Free Kicks/50MP
1 - English, Liberatore, McNeil, Vandermeer, Williams, Young

Pressure Gauge
WB: 194 (Above Average)
BL: 190 (Above Average)

Free Kick Summary
View attachment 1099013

Score Sources
View attachment 1099014
I was pleased to see Macrae kick through the ball . Great goal . I think he finesses too much in front of goal

Gunsyd

Rookie
Apr 7, 2017
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Each shot at goal is given a percentage chance based on distance, angle and pressure. For example a shot at goal from the top of the goal square has a 95% chance of being a goal based on historical data going back to 2002 so therefore it's given an expected score of 5.7 (95% of 6). Each shot is goal is put through this formula and that's the total expected score.

It's become a key metric for clubs over the past 5 years as it's a great indicator of how the team is performing regardless of accuracy.

A much clearer and detailed explanation by the brilliant Darren O’Shaughnessy can be viewed below...

I knew the reason , but your explanation was first class .

Gunsyd

Rookie
Apr 7, 2017
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
My post isn’t very clear.

I’m suggesting they’re used to bring out the best in players that are missing out.

Players need a reality check and personally I’m happy to see players rated higher than others made to earn their long term best 22 role by ironing out their games in the 2’s. Williams, Dale and now possibly Young are starting to reap the benefits of higher expectations.

Clearly Scott isn’t a better player than some that are and have been missing out. I just think his place in the side is a wake up call to others that expectations need to be met and you miss out if they aren’t.
I disagree. You pick best side , bank the wins and if a player diserves the spot over another then pick him .

John Smith92

Team Captain
Nov 20, 2013
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
I think Macrae suffers from the fact that his basic stats have hardly changed over the last 5 years. Has always accumulated a ton of the ball, won clearances, tackled well, but kicking was a big question mark. Nobody notices how much better his disposal has got and how damaging he now is. First impressions are tough to shake, so that probably won't change unless he starts kicking a goal a game for a couple of seasons.

Batman and Robin.

Back