Autopsy Lions get Naught in English Test - Rd 4, 2021

Next Waiting

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 19, 2014
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
I thought Young looked miles better than any performance I’ve seen from Gardener.

Young is a massive unit, can take marks and has wheels. Seems to be fine by foot as well. No idea how Gardner was ahead of him.

Interesting stat On the Couch tonight. We have been the worst one on one defensive team in the league thus far BUT have had the fewest one on one contests in our defensive end. Makes sense, our team defense is great but our individual one on one defending is quite poor. Having Young in the side should assist in this area I would hope.
Keith also played a really good game against the Lions. Hard to determine (yet) how much bearing Youngs inclusion had on that. Could have had some influence or perhaps a more robust team defence generally or perhaps standing an over-rated forward...or two.

perro_loco

Club Legend
Apr 10, 2016
Western Suburbs
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Boca Juniors
Macrae is our no 1 inside 50 player (scores per inside 50 entry).
The myth that he isn't damaging with possession needs to die. I don't think I've ever seen a player who willingly takes a hit/tackle when handballing more than Jack just so the next player in the possession chain has a little more time.
So true about this. McRae is the most underrated player in the media, but every coach in the universe wants him in the side. the guy is extremely important to our side.

Oliver G

Premium Platinum
May 14, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Are you able to produce the same stats for the last 2 years only? Incorprating Bailey Smith et al.
My theory is that will demonstrate a noticeable improvement in Macraes goals assist to behind behind assist ratio. Curious to know the ratios of our current squad generally.
Thanks in advance.
Belated honorable mention to Wallis also with his stats.

2019-2021...

Screen Shot 2021-04-12 at 10.29.27 pm.png

Next Waiting

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 19, 2014
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Have always claimed JJ is one of our better users going inside 50, glad the stats back it up.
Begs the question for me about whether he is more suited to Hunters wing role than Hunter given the new standing the mark rules and his I50 kicking effectiveness.

Duyrea, Croz, Williams and now Dale pose interesting questions for the make up of the back 6.

Could Hunter actually be part of the solution to the small pressure forward question. I was ready to relegate him to VFL if we're talking wing only but his pressure efforts up forward last week has me reassessing. Historical goal kicking performance would be the issue.

Last edited:

Mattdougie

Cancelled
10k Posts
Jun 29, 2013
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Paul Roos: most overrated player ever?

Absolutely ridiculous comment sorry.

Played over 350 games and averaged nearly 20 possies a game of half back in a low possession era.

5 x B and F
7 x All Australian
1 x leading goal kicker

Kicked nearly 300 goals playing the vast majority backline.

Sensational footballer and premiership coach. No idea why there is so much hate for him.

Last edited:

Next Waiting

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 19, 2014
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Love your work OG.
Bailey Williams...wow and Bailey Smith...small sample size but the trend..and Vanders.
Macrae unchanged. Caleb's ineffectiveness (1:2) is pretty sh1t and quite surprising. Hunter may have got worse but Caleb is worserer.
Ed 2:1. Better than I imagined and very good really.

Last edited:
Oct 12, 2012
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Not always. Sometimes it's about who they think they can put off their game. JJ for example. Daniel seems another. Who seem to cop a tag and fall apart.

Yeah I think this is a big reason Macrae is rarely tagged. It barely impacts him. Rumours he's a genetic cross of Clint Eastwood and Chuck Norris.

dergert

Brownlow Medallist
Jun 17, 2014
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
I thought Young looked miles better than any performance I’ve seen from Gardener.

Young is a massive unit, can take marks and has wheels. Seems to be fine by foot as well. No idea how Gardner was ahead of him.

Interesting stat On the Couch tonight. We have been the worst one on one defensive team in the league thus far BUT have had the fewest one on one contests in our defensive end. Makes sense, our team defense is great but our individual one on one defending is quite poor. Having Young in the side should assist in this area I would hope.
A couple of years ago we lost to a pretty dismal Suns outfit partly because they played to a man on man plan which worked well against our system. It set the blueprint for other teams to play against us too.

Danger game for us.

Mattdougie

Cancelled
10k Posts
Jun 29, 2013
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
A couple of years ago we lost to a pretty dismal Suns outfit partly because they played to a man on man plan which worked well against our system. It set the blueprint for other teams to play against us too.

Danger game for us.

Carlton have used it to make us look silly also lately

stefoid

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 8, 2002
home
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs

its just stats. All 1:1 contests are not equal. We bottle the ball up in our F50 by using our defenders to press up really high and if the opposition does manage to get it out, which they occasionally do, its into vast acres of space which makes life very hard for our defenders. At the end of the day, its points against that matters.

Doubt you can work that out but Dale is going ok so far, let’s hope it continues so you all have something to bring up 293837733 times 😘

Yeah, it's annoying isn't it, when someone brings up the same thing over and over again

Last edited:

ScottyDogg

Club Legend
Oct 17, 2015
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Footscray
Absol
its just stats. All 1:1 contests are not equal. We bottle the ball up in our F50 by using our defenders to press up really high and if the opposition does manage to get it out, which they occasionally do, its into vast acres of space which makes life very hard for our defenders. At the end of the day, its points against that matters.

I don’t know how they define one on ones but I doubt it’s when we turn it over when pressing high and get done out the back.

On the Couch they basically showed videos of the Eagles talls taking a mark every time a ball came into a true one on one contest. But were fair enough to explain that we are the best at limiting these situations because of our on ball brigade and pressure.

I actually think Young, Buku and to a lesser extent Gardener are perfect for our system. They are all very mobile, so can press and get across to provide 2 on 1 defensive pressure when the ball comes in high. Young and Buku can mark both mark well but Cordy’s lack of pace is probably what’s keeping him out.

As long as we can keep the ball from coming in quick like when Nic Nat tore us a new one in the third quarter we will be hard to score against.

If the Eagles bigs supplied by Nic Nat couldn’t put up a winning score then I don’t really think we need to worry about a monster forward like McKay, Dixon or Hawkins single handedly beating us.

Last edited:

stefcep

All Australian
Jun 6, 2016
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
It literally says scores per inside 50, as in Macrae is the best at generating scores from his inside 50s. He’s a brilliant kick.

gimme a break-.. he's the "best" in a team that has had one of- if not the worst- inside 50 scoring efficiencies in the AFL.

Have a look at his career scoring- he averages less scores per game than Liber despite far more possession and I would argue less "inside" mid play.

So after 4 games the guy is now score generating machine, when last season there were numerous people criticizing him for racking p the possession but not actually being all that effective with them.

Sep 22, 2008
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
gimme a break-.. he's the "best" in a team that has had one of- if not the worst- inside 50 scoring efficiencies in the AFL.

Have a look at his career scoring- he averages less scores per game than Liber despite far more possession and I would argue less "inside" mid play.

So after 4 games the guy is now score generating machine, when last season there were numerous people criticizing him for racking p the possession but not actually being all that effective with them.
I’ll argue about a lot of things on this website, but the effectiveness of Jack Macrae draws the line, goood luck

So true about this. McRae is the most underrated player in the media, but every coach in the universe wants him in the side. the guy is extremely important to our side.
And he never makes a fuss at contract time, just signs and gets on with life. He'd be the no 1 midfielder at a lot of clubs

Without looking at stats I'd say Lipinski is our best inside 50 kick
Stats don't say it but Josh Bruce mentioned Lippi as the midfielder he'd most like to be leading to.

Triple Baileys

Club Legend
Jan 7, 2019
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Absolutely ridiculous comment sorry.

Played over 350 games and averaged nearly 20 possies a game of half back in a low possession era.

5 x B and F
7 x All Australian
1 x leading goal kicker

Kicked nearly 300 goals playing the vast majority backline.

Sensational footballer and premiership coach. No idea why there is so much hate for him.

Is that you, Bruce? I actually saw him play.

If you go back to OG's post on this it's nothing to do with his four games this year. It's his record over a number of years. Here's what he said (my bolding):
For those talking about Macrae and his impact, many may not realise just how many scores he's assisted over the years even though he spends not that much time forward.

Since 2013 he's actually ranked 6th at the club for Impact Points
despite having less than 100 shots at goal.

Impact Points is your score (goals and behinds) + the score of the goals and behinds you've directly assisted (the disposal immediately prior to the score).

Macrae has kicked 38.32 since debuting but has directly assisted a further 98.91 and is ranked 1st at the club for Score Assists which is usually occupied by players who spend a large chunk of time forward. Essentially he is an extremely selfless player who should take more shots as his accuracy is not that bad for a mid.
Nobody is denying he hits the scoreboard himself pretty infrequently.

You can perhaps argue that we are one of the worst sides in the AFL for effective i50 entries (I'm agnostic on that ATM).

However if you accept OG's stats Macrae is one of the best at the club for generating scores and has been for years.

In the light of those stats, the fact that there were numerous people criticising him here for not being all that effective with his possessions tells us more about the numerous people than it does about Macrae.

Mar 15, 2012
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Footscray, Melbourne City
You can perhaps argue that we are one of the worst sides in the AFL for effective i50 entries (I'm agnostic on that ATM).
Small sample size, but 4 games into 2021 I think we're doing better in this area than we have in many, many years.

Back