Coach Lions - Has the Fagan era already peaked?

Remove this Banner Ad

Aug 13, 2018
South Melbourne
AFL Club
Sydney
Plenty of media folk had Lions as flag favourites (before last night).

Currently in 3rd so that says "contender" but when it matters they just cant cut it. Why is this?

2020 Prelim Final - GABBA - 40 point loss to Cats
2021 - Qualifying Final - AO - 33 point loss to Demons
2021 - Semi Final - GABBA - 1 point loss to Dogs
2022 Rd 15 - Round - MCG - 64 point loss to Demons

Last night could have been 100 point loss (16.21 to 7.11)

Last edited:
How funny was Mitch Robinson putting his team within 8 goals or whatever but celebrating like he'd put his side up in a grand final with a minute to go? So funny.

Anyway I think the Lions are a little bit soft and their midfielders are lazy.
Not sure "old man fages" has a premiership in him.

How funny was Mitch Robinson putting his team within 8 goals or whatever but celebrating like he'd put his side up in a grand final with a minute to go? So funny.

In fairness to Robbo: He had to do something to try and light a fire under them and make them believe. He was the only one who looked like having an influence (against Brayshaw too might I add).

Definitely wouldn't be writing off Brisbane yet as they now have a chip on their shoulder to go with their talent on all lines based on an off night. But they really are lacking the pace they need to break through the Melbourne wall.

How ironical if it is Geelong who face Brisbane in week 1 of the finals :p
Be a bitch if we narrowly finish below them, fly up to Queensland only to get beaten, fly back home to face either Richmond, Sydney or Collingwood at the MCG in a do or die scenario.

Plenty of folk had Lions as flag favourites (before last night).

Currently in 3rd so that says "contender" but when it matters they just cant cut it. Why is this?

2020 Prelim Final - GABBA - 40 point loss to Cats
2021 - Qualifying Final - AO - 33 point loss to Demons
2021 - Semi Final - GABBA - 1 point loss to Dogs
2022 Rd 15 - Round - MCG - 64 point loss to Demons

Last night could have been 100 point loss (16.21 to 7.11)
All correct and thread title is unfortunately accurate. I do notice you regularly sink the boot in the Lions though. What's the deal?

Not sure I blame Fages.

Midfield is fairly s**t. Let's be honest.

Neale is good and then rubbish rubbish rubbish.
s**t ruck and a bunch of hacks.

All correct and thread title is unfortunately accurate. I do notice you regularly sink the boot in the Lions though. What's the deal?
Quite like em.

Just feeling disappointed and decided to look up the facts. I was pumped for last night. Got tickets..went to game..Hoping for a good game 1 v 2. Very disappointing.

Also wondering if other people might have some answers as to why.

I think valid questions need to be asked.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not sure I blame Fages.

Mcluggage is good. Their issue is Zorko isn't the player he was and their isn't alot coming through. Rekon they missed Zac Bailey last he is the one guy that can move into the midfield permanently and make a difference. Has pace and class.

Not sure I blame Fages.

You can blame Fages on gameplan. Hasn't addressed their major flaws since they have become a good team. Style is based around offensive footy but there is no balance in their game. When a team brings high intensity footy they can't handle it. It's not just because they played Melbourne.

You can blame Fages on gameplan. Hasn't addressed their major flaws since they have become a good team. Style is based around offensive footy but there is no balance in their game. When a team brings high intensity footy they can't handle it. It's not just because they played Melbourne.
Yeah true it’s not just because they played Melbourne but it also shows how silly people were getting carried away over their losses. Melbourne know how to pace themselves and will bring their best in September, and I don’t see anyone getting near them.

Pretenders. Won't be there again this year when it really counts.

Let's not forget they got into the top 4 last year by being gifted an extra 5 minutes due to a 'home town time keeping error' in round 23.

Either way it'll be glorious to see them fail again in finals.
Love this. You beat us in the consequent final anyway yet you’re salty about an error that the club had no input over. Time to move on.

Not sure I blame Fages.

Oscar did just fine on Thursday, won several clearances. I think we're a better team when we play two recognised rucks though.

As for the midfielders, Lyons is too slow to match it with the top midfielders, McCluggage and Berry belong on the wings full time, Rayner is improving rapidly and Robertson hasn't been given enough time to show what he can do. It's not irredeemable, but changes have to be made if we are to improve, starting with dropping Lyons.

Mcluggage is good. Their issue is Zorko isn't the player he was and their isn't alot coming through. Rekon they missed Zac Bailey last he is the one guy that can move into the midfield permanently and make a difference. Has pace and class.
Lions fans would disagree with you on that. Rayner and Robertson are both coming through, and Will Ashcroft will likely join as a Father-Son pick. We'll have a very strong midfield again in a few years, and that's without including Bailey, who looks far better as a forward than he does as a midfielder.

I couldn't understand why a side with what is imo a poor forwardline were kicking such high scores.

Then after the freo game one of the footy shows, I think it was 'on the couch' did a piece on their midfielders cheating by running forward at stoppages before they had won the ball, and also being terribly lazy running back to defend. One clip in particular showed their 200cm ruckmen mcinerney running past all their midfielders to get back and defend, was horrendous.

I think this cheating explains why they can give poor sides a hiding and put on good scores, but good sides expose them.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back