Coach Lions - Has the Fagan era already peaked?

Remove this Banner Ad

The midfield being coached by Cam Bruce getting decimated?

The lack of plan B from Fagan?

I hope you were watching how inept our coaches are.
Don't take the loss personally mate. There's 22 more games to go.

I have port and Brisbane making the finals with 13-15 wins each.

I look at freos season last year. I was happy to get a finals win after 6 years of no finals. 15 wins, 1 draw and 6 losses is very good.

Brisbane can still get 13-15 wins with 22 games to go.

Don't take the loss personally mate. There's 22 more games to go.

I have port and Brisbane making the finals with 13-15 wins each.

I look at freos season last year. I was happy to get a finals win after 6 years of no finals. 15 wins, 1 draw and 6 losses is very good.

Brisbane can still get 13-15 wins with 22 games to go.
Oh believe me, I'm really not fussed with one loss.

The issues stem from last year though. Our coaching department is honestly just quite poor and we got beaten by a team surging & running in waves, once again. It's not a one off. Richmond/Melbourne/Port/Geelong, we just cannot deal with it unless we play out of our skin.

We keep losing the same way, that concerns me.

I think he should get sacked if they don't make the grand final this year, providing they don't have an injury crisis that costs them top 4 or during the finals
Well that's harsh...

So going by your view. If Brisbane repeat the same finals effort of making a preliminary final from 5th or 6th spot by winning 2 finals, Chris Fagan should be sacked?

2019 and 2020, you can blame inexperienced players.

Mind you going from a side that went 5-17 in 2018 (they lost a few games by 2 goals or less, should of got 7-9 wins that year), to top 2 in 2019 is a massive leap. Brisbane didn't play one final from 2011-18.

2020, they were not bad, Richmond and Geelong's experience came through

2021, Brisbane were not good enough.

Well that's harsh...

So going by your view. If Brisbane repeat the same finals effort of making a preliminary final from 5th or 6th spot by winning 2 finals, Chris Fagan should be sacked?

2019 and 2020, you can blame inexperienced players.

Mind you going from a side that went 5-17 in 2018 (they lost a few games by 2 goals or less, should of got 7-9 wins that year), to top 2 in 2019 is a massive leap. Brisbane didn't play one final from 2011-18.

2020, they were not bad, Richmond and Geelong's experience came through

2021, Brisbane were not good enough.
Not really, how many chances does he get? Eventually they'll drop back down the ladder

Not really, how many chances does he get? Eventually they'll drop back down the ladder
Any coach will have their fair share of chances until their finals run ends.

Neil Craig at the crows made finals in 2005-9. Had 2005-6 to get a flag but fell short.

Yet around that 2002-7 period, John Worsfold got your mob to finals and were fortunate to get into grand finals in 2005-6.

And your current coach had that 6 years of finals from 2015-20. Grand finals in 2015 and 2018.

Ross Lyon in 2012-5 at Freo had a chance to get a flag but fell short.

Teams will have that 4-6 year run of finals. And laws of averages say that on average will get 2-3 shots at the flag or at very worst at least one shot.

Any coach will have their fair share of chances until their finals run ends.

Neil Craig at the crows made finals in 2005-9. Had 2005-6 to get a flag but fell short.

Yet around that 2002-7 period, John Worsfold got your mob to finals and were fortunate to get into grand finals in 2005-6.

And your current coach had that 6 years of finals from 2015-20. Grand finals in 2015 and 2018.

Ross Lyon in 2012-5 at Freo had a chance to get a flag but fell short.

Teams will have that 4-6 year run of finals. And laws of averages say that on average will get 2-3 shots at the flag or at very worst at least one shot.
Brisbane have played finals in their last 4 seasons, 19-21 being top 4 home and away finishes. Going by that Brisbane doesn't have much time left so if not this year then when?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Lions have a young midfield though, McCluggage, Berry, Dunkley, Ashcroft, Bailey, they all 24-26 years of age so plenty of upside in their engine room.

I could say the Same about Freos inside mids of Brayshaw, Serong, Hayden Young and Will Broadie.

Saying that... I am not keen on Brisbanes backline. Its good when its solid but its not good enough consistently.

who knows?

They might turn it around and win the flag this season just like they did in 2001.
That's why I posted if they don't make the grand final this year that will be 5 years in contention and no grand finals.....after this year maybe 1 more chance in 2024 then slide down the ladder? They shouldn't leave it to Fagan to be the coach in 2024 if he fails again in 2023 as he will likely fail again. They should have won in 2020 when they had the home prelim and home grand final.

Saying that... I am not keen on Brisbanes backline. Its good when its solid but its not good enough consistently.

Adams is going to be a big loss. Take it he's constantly injured but he will leave a void.
Gardiner is definitely a loss and he should be back soon so that is two key backs who would really sure them up.
Fagan needs to experiment at times. Move Hipwood to defense, anything to shift things up for a bit.

Really though, it all comes down to the midfield. Win more of the ball and it takes the pressure off their backs like we saw in the second half of last season.

They were absolutely miserable today. Not enough heat on a mediocre team in an irrelevant market IMO.
Spot on.

If they were in a footy state they'd be getting torched after some of the performances the last few years.

Not the Lions fault at all, there's nothing they can do about that...but the level of scrutiny for failure in the biggest games is non-existent.

What Vic/WA/SA team has lost a prelim by 70 points, and entered the following season as overwhelming favorites? It just doesn't happen.

Firmly on fraud watch. Oldest coach in the league, average assistant coaches.

Has the list there and isn't getting the most out of them. Not sure who the Lions would get to replace him though but this is the first year he'll be under pressure to get results and right now we're 1-2 with a premiership list.

Bumping this thread

Brisbane getting thrashed and Fagan having no clue what to do beside get cranky and angry seems to happen way too often.
Mate.... We all grow old. Fagan grows old. So does Hinkley and so does Ross Lyon too lol.

Even your coach at the swans grows old lol

Remove this Banner Ad

Back