Coach Lions - Has the Fagan era already peaked?

Remove this Banner Ad

After the flaming Bevo copped this week it’s fair to ask the question. Both 1-2 now.

Went all in with Dunkley, McKenna and Gunston so he flagged their intentions. Needs to make something of this season.

Can't blame the recruiting, they did the only thing you can do with the list in the current make-up it is in.

100% valid to ask the question. I personally think both Fagan and Bevo are done.

Positive is Gunston and Dunkley were terrific their forward line is not clicking yet looks hella dangerous on paper.

Daniher, Rayner, Hipwood, Cameron, Bailey, McCarthy should be a very potent mix.

I think they are just a side that is very comfortable at home and performs considerably better than on the road.

Positive is Gunston and Dunkley were terrific their forward line is not clicking yet looks hella dangerous on paper.

Daniher, Rayner, Hipwood, Cameron, Bailey, McCarthy should be a very potent mix.

I think they are just a side that is very comfortable at home and performs considerably better than on the road.

How quickly does the ball fly out when one of these guys doesn’t do something phenomenal.

They need some pressure smalls, some defensive accountability through midfield, their half backs to defend when required.

It seems they don’t value defence at all.

How quickly does the ball fly out when one of these guys doesn’t do something phenomenal.

They need some pressure smalls, some defensive accountability through midfield, their half backs to defend when required.

It seems they don’t value defence at all.
Basically we just have to tear down the whole fricken joint by the sounds of things.

This Is Fine GIF

They still look one dimensional in midfield. Dunkley was a very good addition but he is a workhorse and is not someone who will break the lines. Bailey has looked good at times but perhaps we start to see more of this from Ashcroft. He does not appear to be a line breaker though. Looks like another Lachie Neale in the making which is great, but doesn't solve their midfield issues.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

They still look one dimensional in midfield. Dunkley was a very good addition but he is a workhorse and is not someone who will break the lines. Bailey has looked good at times but perhaps we start to see more of this from Ashcroft. He does not appear to be a line breaker though. Looks like another Lachie Neale in the making which is great, but doesn't solve their midfield issues.
Hey Fremantle, do you want Neale back by any chance now 👋

If I’m an opposition coach I’m pretty happy seeing Zac Bailey bashing and crashing in the midfield then hovering near goal.

Rayner should be the point of difference, bullocking mid with class who can kick a goal in the Dusty, Bont, Petracca etc mould but they're wasting him at half back. Neale, Ashcroft, Rayner with McLuggage, Bailey and Zorko is a decent setup.

If I’m an opposition coach I’m pretty happy seeing Zac Bailey bashing and crashing in the midfield then hovering near goal.
Take your point about Bailey, he should be predominantly forward with maybe 25-30% midfield time. Their small forwards need to do more defensive work inside 50 though, Cameron, Bailey, McCarthy love kicking a goal when it falls to them but they're all downhill skiers.

Take your point about Bailey, he should be predominantly forward with maybe 25-30% midfield time. Their small forwards need to do more defensive work inside 50 though, Cameron, Bailey, McCarthy love kicking a goal when it falls to them but they're all downhill skiers.

Bailey is far too good of a forward to be drifting through midfield. He's managed 4 goals in consecutive weeks.
Spent a good deal of time in the middle last night in a game which was decided by less than 2 goals.

You spoke of Raynor being the point of difference, it does appear Daniel Rich is much more important to their teams structure than some would appreciate.
They did not have anyone who made decisive kicks from half back. It also highlights why it is important for opposition teams to put more attention into Rich when he does return.

Firmly on fraud watch. Oldest coach in the league, average assistant coaches.

Has the list there and isn't getting the most out of them. Not sure who the Lions would get to replace him though but this is the first year he'll be under pressure to get results and right now we're 1-2 with a premiership list.
Buckley? Right the wrongs of the past and lead Brisbane to the premiership he never won as a player because he ditched.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back