Coach Lions - Has the Fagan era already peaked?

Remove this Banner Ad

Ashcroft and Fletcher will be instant improvement. Maybe just need to tweak the forward set up and get a big bodied KPD so Harris can play CHB not full back.

He's done a great job. They were absolute tripe when he took over (same amount of wins as the top up Bombers). Drafted and recruited well. A stagnated year this year. Still can win one in the next couple of years

We will rebalance our list with one or two trades and through drafting top F/S talent and I think have one of our best years next year.

The Father/Son rule is an utter rort. Name another league in the world where a team that's finished top of the table for years can simply scoop the best player/s in the draft for free. And don't give me 'Oh they have to give up a third round pick for him!'

The Father/Son rule is an utter rort. Name another league in the world where a team that's finished top of the table for years can simply scoop the best player/s in the draft for free. And don't give me 'Oh they have to give up a third round pick for him!'

Agree. From 2025 onwards we should scrap it.

Agree. From 2025 onwards we should scrap it.
Nah, still keep the father/son & daughter rule til 2028, before we can scrap it altogether I reckon :p

Then we can have all the kids (Will, Levi & Lucy) enjoy playing at our footy club, while Marcus & Bekky Ashcroft can enjoy their retirement together in the beautiful sunshine over in Queensland.

Yeah that never happens in European Football aka Soccer lol

Ashcroft and Fletcher will be instant improvement. Maybe just need to tweak the forward set up and get a big bodied KPD so Harris can play CHB not full back.

He's done a great job. They were absolute tripe when he took over (same amount of wins as the top up Bombers). Drafted and recruited well. A stagnated year this year. Still can win one in the next couple of years
I think one of our biggest issues this year is it is clear we are going to have to transition a few players who aren't quite up to it anymore, bring in some who will be next season or currently are now. An example being Mitch Robinson unfortunately.

Did you complain when the Eagles got their F/S prospects?
I think it's a great and unique system we have. I'm not a Carlton supporter but I think its awesome that there has been 3 generations of Silvagni's wearing #1 for Carlton.

I'm actually seeing a little of the Grant Thomas 03-06 Saints about it.

Grant built the team on playing instinctual, all out attacking footy. We copped injuries at the worst time and just couldn't take that next step. Ross Lyon comes in, spends 12-18 months revamping the 22 and the gameplan and all of a sudden we make back to back GFs.

Fages has been brilliant in rebuilding the club's culture and getting the players to buy in and back each other other up, but maybe they need someone a little more tactical/ruthless to come in and try to finish the job?
How good is your memory about that 2005 preliminary final?

Saints had a 2 or 3 goal lead at 3 quarter time. Swans kicked like 7 goals to 4 behinds.

Saints were missing key players in the lead up to that preliminary final?

Well it's an insult that one of Andrew McGovern's sons plays for west coast.

Saying that, I doubt Clive Waterhouses son would play for any club barring freo

Now that Ed has all his father sons id expect a rule change shortly

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Settle down …. We have to give up a third round pick for him

As soon as I heard that **** had Ed Sheeran and Crowded House in his record collection, I knew he would provide comfort to the forlorn Lions players, and that they would remain lacking ticker in the crunch moments. It is just who he is. His crepes are delicious by all accounts. His interviews are honest and he looks you in the eye as he commends you on your question.

Tommy Hafey loved Ella Fitzgerald. That's where the Tiges got their heart from.

Barrass loved Elvis, all his teams had panache.

Poor ol Lions...when I saw you in that dress, you looked so beautiful, I don't deserve this...good lawdy...those lyrics spell the end.

The list is in good shape with only a few players close to retirement in Zorko, Robbo and Rich, none of whom we are dependent on. There's still a lot of talent yet to reach their peak and a lot of potential improvement on the horizon. Jumping the gun a bit to be writing the Lions off at this stage imo.

How good is your memory about that 2005 preliminary final?

Saints had a 2 or 3 goal lead at 3 quarter time. Swans kicked like 7 goals to 4 behinds.

Saints were missing key players in the lead up to that preliminary final?

We just ran out of gas.

X Clarke, Hamill and Kosi all missing that night. We had a few coming in injured as well I think.

Swans led early, we wrestled it back, and then just couldn't hold on.

The list is in good shape with only a few players close to retirement in Zorko, Robbo and Rich, none of whom we are dependent on. There's still a lot of talent yet to reach their peak and a lot of potential improvement on the horizon. Jumping the gun a bit to be writing the Lions off at this stage imo.
I think we will be a stronger team once we move those guys on and potentially Lyons as well who is either injured or his body has just hit a wall.

Kiddy with another pre-season will go past Rich if he hasn’t already, Robbo out I think will be a positive replace with Ashcroft. Zorko still think has bit left in the tank if his body can hold together.

Just need that breakthrough MCG win and a big finals win wouldn’t hurt. Both at the same time even better for them.

Just need that breakthrough MCG win and a big finals win wouldn’t hurt. Both at the same time even better for them.
Well we can organise that event on the September 24, 2022 at 2.30pm til 5.00pm, with a massive after party to finish off.

How does that sound Lions supporters, seems reasonable ;)

Well that would be one way to do it 🤣
Shame I don’t have a time machine with me to make that happen though, thankfully I changed it from 2021 to 2022 without much embarrassment on my behalf :p

Seriously though, maybe one day our team could make the GF and win it, but I would be kidding myself if I didn’t think we were going to win the premiership for the past 3 years straight, so I have my reservations with my mob.

Shame I don’t have a time machine with me to make that happen though, thankfully I changed it from 2021 to 2022 without much embarrassment on my behalf :p

Seriously though, maybe one day our team could make the GF and win it, but I would be kidding myself if I didn’t think we were going to win the premiership for the past 3 years straight, so I have my reservations with my mob.
You’ve been pretty stiff coming up against our 2019/20 team (one of which you beat) and the 2021 Dees. Even the Cats team have been bloody good last few years.

The 2 semi finals were probably disappointing especially when both sides that beat you played a lame team in the prelim.

I think the time will come for the Lions. Just need to work on the defensive system imo

Remove this Banner Ad

Back