Opinion Lions list analysis, Strengths, weaknesses, targets for 2017

Remove this Banner Ad

I was being a bit flippant, but having followed Dawson's career since juniors I think he has the raw ingredients to be successful at senior level with the possible exception of pace.

As a junior Dawson could certainly take a hanger and was flashy at times, so I guess there is a DJ comparison there.

It would be great to see a kid from a place like Redcliffe forge a good AFL career, but if it's going to happen Dawso will have to take a few steps forward this year.

I was having a laugh also. Would love for him to turn into a hard as nails half back ala Chris Scott with slightly better foot skills!

Dawson played in the forward line and later in the midfield when he was at my local club so I've seen him a lot since he was a young kid until he moved to the Hawks in his final years. His mother just lives and breathes aussie rules which was a bit odd if you lived in rugby league diehard territory like Redcliffe but she is one of the nicest people you could have ever meet.

Liam loved to take a speccy that's for sure. But the biggest issue for mine is he is as slow as treacle and just couldn't cover the ground at all when I watched him and it was something I commented on. Looked stuff after the first quarter even though he didn't do much. Hopefully, with a few more preseasons he can improve his endurance and cement his spot off the half forward line and through the midfield which is where I see him playing his best footy.

Robbo18! I'd love to year your thoughts on Dawson.
I only like to give positive views regarding players being another players Dad. That's why you don't see too much critical opinions re another player.
I think he's a good utility that can really go forward, back and through the midfield.
I think with all players in general at that age (unless you are elite) there will always need to be physical development and aerobic improvement to be competitive for longer in games.

I only like to give positive views regarding players being another players Dad. That's why you don't see too much critical opinions re another player.
I think he's a good utility that can really go forward, back and through the midfield.
I think with all players in general at that age (unless you are elite) there will always need to be physical development and aerobic improvement to be competitive for longer in games.

Thanks mate. Agreed.

I think four qtr efforts should be his main focus this year. Getting the fitness up to perform constantly and I feel the rest will take care of itself. He can take a great mark and is developing a very good kick.

25. Dan McStay
Strength: marking
Weakness: effort, chasing
Target for 2017: show 100 effort and be prepared to chase.

Come on XPLO you compared Paparone a player with limited courage, soft at the contest and could not lay a tackle to save his life with one of the most decorated indigenous footballers of all time. White was a star, could play ruck, forward, back and swing through the wings with devastating efficiencies. I was sitting directly behind White at the Gabba when he kicked a torpedo from the boundary line during a set shot for goal, spun perfectly and split the eye diddle diddle of the big sticks. Whitey sat on shoulders for fun and floated over packs to take beautiful marks. He was also extremely skilful by hand and foot.

Now tell me Paparone is a White type.

The idea of drawing a comparison, is people have to have knowledge of the person you're pointing at. So, saying Paparone is a 'Carl Steinfort type' or 'plays the Kristian Bardsley role' is going to be lost on most people. Picking someone people know means you're probably going to pick a known star or the exercise is useless. Same thing applies to draft profiles.

Through our premiership years, Darryl White consistently played as a tallish mobile half back flanker/pocket. In some teams, he might have played key position like a Josh Gibson, but with Leppa and Mal taking the key posts, we had the luxury of playing him wider and more mobile. We didn't expect Whitey to take on Lloyd and Tredrea and Carey every week and we shouldn't think of Marco like that either.

If I say 'Paparone is the next Darryl White', that's a claim on his ability and I'm not making that. I'm saying he's a tallish flanker that can help with intercept marks (6.5 a game in 2015) without sacrificing run and coverage. Paparone is probably only behind NRobbo for pure running ability (Bell maybe). He won the time trial in 2013. A guy like Harwood isn't in the top half of our runners.

Having said that, a raw comparison on White vs Paparone in their first 4 years – the only fair comparison - makes interesting reading.

Epe7aU.png

Whitey was a great player, and certainly more mercurial than Marco will ever be. We also know that numbers don't tell the whole story.

But Whitey got to play the majority of his career with all-time great players, in finals teams that usually dominated possession – something Marco hasn't had the chance to do yet.

Shame Marco's 4th year was wiped out by injury, but he still managed to average 14 in the games he played. Darryl, as good as he was, only broke 15 once in his career. His 1.7 tackles beats Marco's 1.5 but not by a lot.

I think a fit Paparone will be an interesting thing to watch in 2017.

Last edited:
25. Dan McStay
Strength: marking
Weakness: effort, chasing
Target for 2017: show 100 effort and be prepared to chase.

Agreed. If he can lift his work rate when the ball spills he could be a deadly forward. I would say him spending last year in defense along with some good training should result in major improvement on his 2015 form in the forward 50. He has the tools and desire, I'm sure he will, not surprise some, but wow some who thought he was better in defense.

Agreed. If he can lift his work rate when the ball spills he could be a deadly forward. I would say him spending last year in defense along with some good training should result in major improvement on his 2015 form in the forward 50. He has the tools and desire, I'm sure he will, not surprise some, but wow some who thought he was better in defense.
I think with the structure of the team and on need he will find himself in defence. Some have suggested he might play up the ground as a mobile forward, but I don't think he has the running ability.

Ideally he plays deep as a high marking forward but I think he plays chb allowing Andrews to play 3rd tall and peel off and intercept.

I think with the structure of the team and on need he will find himself in defence. Some have suggested he might play up the ground as a mobile forward, but I don't think he has the running ability.

Ideally he plays deep as a high marking forward but I think he plays chb allowing Andrews to play 3rd tall and peel off and intercept.

And I'd be fine with either. I actually think McStay has the potential running ability to play that role successfully in the future. Just comes down to how hard he works to get the role he wants.

I'm not as convinced on McStay as some.

That may be his versatility and his having been used as a swing man meaning I have a hard time nailing down his role in my own head. In the back line I would generally prefer Cutler. In the Forwards I would have him behind Hipwood, Schache and West, though there is obviously an opportunity there. Not sure on Dan.

I do worry about McStay's tendency to switch off or give up. When playing in defence he was one of the players who tended to stop when the opposition marked and let a lot of balls go over the top for the easy goal
I wonder if that is totally him or the players not knowing where to go with the game plan. I also wonder about some of the younger players lacking composure with ball in hand, it seemed they didn't know where they should be going.

Hopefully a clear, simple and fully understood game plan solves many of these issues.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm not as convinced on McStay as some.

That may be his versatility and his having been used as a swing man meaning I have a hard time nailing down his role in my own head. In the back line I would generally prefer Cutler. In the Forwards I would have him behind Hipwood, Schache and West, though there is obviously an opportunity there. Not sure on Dan.
He is still very young and was sort of thrown to the wolves last year. I think anybody would have struggled in our back line last year.

But I understand what you are saying, hints of Brennan syndrome, brilliance but not consistently. But I come back to our previous lack of game plan and these guys are still very young players

McStay, has shown that he has the tools but as already noted falls in and out of games. I reckon he was a bit of a casualty with the whole excuse crap that we were going on for years and that just messed with his head. If he gets his head right and the drive he could become a very, very good player. Has added some size and with the increase in maturity he could become a very good player for us. If he goes back he needs to take ownership of this role and make it own. Not sure about the forward ability but I'll wait and see.

In 2015 Mcstay spent a fair bit of time forward and was then moved back late in the season, he seemed to look so much more comfortable in defense. Although he gets pushed off the ball far to easily in 1on 1 contests. But he was and still is very young and will get better and stronger. But as with most i am not real sure where he is best suited.
Longer term, i do like the idea of a Schache, Hippy and Mcstay tall forward line. With 3 smaller fellas at their feet.

In 2015 Mcstay spent a fair bit of time forward and was then moved back late in the season, he seemed to look so much more comfortable in defense. Although he gets pushed off the ball far to easily in 1on 1 contests. But he was and still is very young and will get better and stronger. But as with most i am not real sure where he is best suited.
Longer term, i do like the idea of a Schache, Hippy and Mcstay tall forward line. With 3 smaller fellas at their feet.
Schache, Hipwood and McStay forward line will cause some problems for the opposition that's for sure. Who would be the second ruck though? I wonder if Hipwood could be groomed to play 10% ruck time as relief... he did look pretty damn good around the contests in his junior years.

Schache, Hipwood and McStay forward line will cause some problems for the opposition that's for sure. Who would be the second ruck though? I wonder if Hipwood could be groomed to play 10% ruck time as relief... he did look pretty damn good around the contests in his junior years.
I do think that in time Hippy would be the perfect part time Ruck/forward. Once he has built some size and strength. He is the best long term prospect that we have for that role that is currently on the list i believe. He is not quite ready for it yet though. 2 more years maybe. He can then work on Tandem with Archie.
Connor Ballenden next year possibly, but he is not on the list yet, and he will not be ready straight away either.

Might cause some problems going in but it would come back out twice as fast.I don't think we can get away with playing 3 talls.If McStay can't command a position in our back line he doesn't get a game IMO.

Might cause some problems going in but it would come back out twice as fast.I don't think we can get away with playing 3 talls. If McStay can't command a position in our back line he doesn't get a game IMO.

I personally like that 3 pronged combo. It offers a lot of marking and goal kicking potential. I do think McStay and Schache could become a pretty proficient leading combo with one pushing forward as a marking option as the other leads up the ground. Hipwood remaining the permanent deeper option; nimble enough to provide pressure, whilst still being very formidable as a leading/contesting target and doesn't give up much at ground level. The three have the skillset to do it, though McStay needs to improve his running patterns and tank for it to work long term. Lock in one defensive forward and a decent a crumbing/tackling small and it's likely to be viable option going forward.

It doesn't give us many options with relieving the ruck though. We can have one as an extra on the bench I guess but it really means one of those players has to swing back regularly.

Might cause some problems going in but it would come back out twice as fast.I don't think we can get away with playing 3 talls.If McStay can't command a position in our back line he doesn't get a game IMO.
McStay was up with the forwards. Wouldn't expect him to be played down back this year.

26. Tom Cutler
Strengths: beautiful long raking kick
Weakness: Would like to see him get a bit more of the footy
Target for 2017: Go to the next level and be a player who is noticed around the league not just by Lions fans. he is the player on our list who I am tipping to have a break out year in 2017 and so our others as SEN were talking about players to have a break out year in 2017 and he was getting a few mentions. Out of the 6 players we drafter in 2013 I think he will be the best, the worst will be that spud who went to Collingwood, what's his name again?

26. Tom Cutler
Target for 2017: Go to the next level and be a player who is noticed around the league not just by Lions fans. he is the player on our list who I am tipping to have a break out year in 2017 and so our others as SEN were talking about players to have a break out year in 2017 and he was getting a few mentions. Out of the 6 players we drafter in 2013 I think he will be the best, the worst will be that spud who went to Collingwood, what's his name again?
Unfortunately I think Aish might actually cement himself in Collingwoods 22 this year. I don't think he'll reach the heights we expected of him however I think he will be a solid contributor for them in the coming years.

Unfortunately I think Aish might actually cement himself in Collingwoods 22 this year. I don't think he'll reach the heights we expected of him however I think he will be a solid contributor for them in the coming years.
He did seem to step up towards the end of last year

26. Tom Cutler

Cutler was on the verge of doing just that last year until injury. That one game where he had huge meters gained and kicked two goals as a defender was amazing. I think we'll see a lot more of that this year. Very talented. Injuries can * off.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back