Opinion Lions list analysis, Strengths, weaknesses, targets for 2017

Remove this Banner Ad

As jackess said, ahead of the rookie draft David Noble mentioned that we'd look at more mature options - we ended up taking Barrett, McInerny and Grewar. All three (with the Big O a little less so) are more senior ready than 18 year olds. This provides 1) good depth for the senior side should there be injuries, 2) provide more consistent performances for our NEAFL side to aid development of juniors, and 3) players who know what the standard is, and can help guide the youngsters.

David Noble mentioned one of things to work on is being smart about list management - this is a good example.

And apart from Eagles we're not topping up our list with people in their mid-late 20s. We still expect quite a bit of development out of these guys.

We did pick 6; 18 year olds in the national draft. No need to another 4 or 5.

Not what I was suggesting.

As jackess said, ahead of the rookie draft David Noble mentioned that we'd look at more mature options - we ended up taking Barrett, McInerny and Grewar. All three (with the Big O a little less so) are more senior ready than 18 year olds. This provides 1) good depth for the senior side should there be injuries, 2) provide more consistent performances for our NEAFL side to aid development of juniors, and 3) players who know what the standard is, and can help guide the youngsters.

David Noble mentioned one of things to work on is being smart about list management - this is a good example.

Yeah, this what I was suggesting, that there was strategy to add players with the scope to possible develop some more and possibly make the senior list, but also provide decent experience and depth to our NEAFL side, to help the kids who play NEAFL develop.

Not unrealistic hipwood doesn't play round 1.
Agree only played half a game today but is definitely behind close & shache. By the looks of things I think we'll be running with only the 2 keys in the forward line

Agree only played half a game today but is definitely behind close & shache. By the looks of things I think we'll be running with only the 2 keys in the forward line
1% chance of 3 keys I reckon.

I wouldn't be unhappy with hipwood starting the season in the neafl having thought about it. He's a young guy who has grown immensely in the last 3-5 years and that will always cause issue with the body as the rest of your system catches up. Would be nice to be able to let him focus on his development a bit. Plus the fact that we've got enough guys playing well to not have 2 talented second year players as major lynchpins in our forward line would be a nice refreshing change.

God help the defender who plays on him in the readies though. Going to be giving up the best part of 15 cm given most neafl defenders are a bit shorter. At least he'll get used to being scragged a lot.

I wouldn't be unhappy with hipwood starting the season in the neafl having thought about it. He's a young guy who has grown immensely in the last 3-5 years and that will always cause issue with the body as the rest of your system catches up. Would be nice to be able to let him focus on his development a bit. Plus the fact that we've got enough guys playing well to not have 2 talented second year players as major lynchpins in our forward line would be a nice refreshing change.

God help the defender who plays on him in the readies though. Going to be giving up the best part of 15 cm given most neafl defenders are a bit shorter. At least he'll get used to being scragged a lot.
As you know, I'm a big Hipwood fan and I've got no concerns with this. He could play at either end and it would still teach him a fair bit. I'd even look at giving him a run on a wing to develop his game more.

Under normal circumstances, we'd maybe be hoping for Hipwood to get a senior game or two this year. Last year showed what a talent we have on our hands but we don't need to alter the long term approach with him, just because he came through a bit earlier.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Fair article except for this - Josh Walker and Michael Close are two of the Lions’ other options but neither are up to AFL standard. Wouldn't be stamping their card just yet. Very hard to be a key forward in a side that has the other weaknesses referred to. Better to assess after this season, particularly given Close hasn't played a lot of senior footy and is just getting his confidence back after the ACL.

Fair article except for this - Josh Walker and Michael Close are two of the Lions’ other options but neither are up to AFL standard. Wouldn't be stamping their card just yet. Very hard to be a key forward in a side that has the other weaknesses referred to. Better to assess after this season, particularly given Close hasn't played a lot of senior footy and is just getting his confidence back after the ACL.
Didn't even see that on first skim, close has been training the house down and should be our no 1 kpf...which suggests he is comfortably of standard

Not too dissimilar to most articles written by oblivious and clueless AFL media writers, only here it extends to amateur wannabes.

Good on thetradesman for writing the season preview and taking it to our board for feedback. Hard to criticize him for that and he'll no doubt pick up a thing or two about our team.

As you know, I'm a big Hipwood fan and I've got no concerns with this. He could play at either end and it would still teach him a fair bit. I'd even look at giving him a run on a wing to develop his game more.

Under normal circumstances, we'd maybe be hoping for Hipwood to get a senior game or two this year. Last year showed what a talent we have on our hands but we don't need to alter the long term approach with him, just because he came through a bit earlier.

Same. The reality is, neither Schache or Close are likely to play 22 games and stuff inevitably happens to ruckmen and big guys.

I'm pretty sure we could resolve to play Hipwood in the Magoos all season and still end up putting 4-6 games into him anyway.

Watched the intra club with a fanatical collingwood supporter and ex QAFL player of excellent ability. His son was a top up player on the day.
My mate hates the lions, but he was pretty impressed with certain things/players.
Asked him about Jack Frost and he can't believe Pies let him go and that we will be well pleaded with what he brings to the club (notwithstanding the stupid haircut which the coach also had a crack at!)

Watched the intra club with a fanatical collingwood supporter and ex QAFL player of excellent ability. His son was a top up player on the day.
My mate hates the lions, but he was pretty impressed with certain things/players.
Asked him about Jack Frost and he can't believe Pies let him go and that we will be well pleaded with what he brings to the club (notwithstanding the stupid haircut which the coach also had a crack at!)

I've had similar discussions with a Collingwood supporting mate of mine. He's not one to be excessively positive about Collingwood's list, but he was a big fan of Frost.

I think Frost will be a very similar defender to Merrett. He seems a brilliant athlete with height, strength and good acceleration but similar to Merrett he doesn't seem the smartest defender and he's quite a poor user of the footy. He would seem to be a safe option for the next few years but you wouldn't be surprised if he was overtaken at some point.

I think Frost will be a very similar defender to Merrett. He seems a brilliant athlete with height, strength and good acceleration but similar to Merrett he doesn't seem the smartest defender and he's quite a poor user of the footy. He would seem to be a safe option for the next few years but you wouldn't be surprised if he was overtaken at some point.
I remember watching him run the ball out of trouble with speed and the commentators also noted it was impressive .
I think his running , athletic ability and handballing is above Rog's , and that 's from what I've seen of him at Collingwood.
Probably fails a little like Rog with decision making and kicking skills, but he is still young.
To me it just felt like it could of been just teething problems as a very young main Key defender .
He strikes me as a guy that could get over whelmed if he has a bad run, needs to show his strengths and gain confidence.
Good luck to him .

I remember watching him run the ball out of trouble with speed and the commentators also noted it was impressive .
I think his running , athletic ability and handballing is above Rog's , and that 's from what I've seen of him at Collingwood.
Probably fails a little like Rog with decision making and kicking skills, but he is still young.
To me it just felt like it could of been just teething problems as a very young main Key defender .
He strikes me as a guy that could get over whelmed if he has a bad run, needs to show his strengths and gain confidence.
Good luck to him .

Before injuries Merrett was our quickest over 20m and at the same time he was probably our heaviest. Frost may be a bit more agile but Merrett was definitely an amazing athlete in his time.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back