Lions pick 1

Remove this Banner Ad

Jan 14, 2012
The River Murray
AFL Club
St Kilda
What will Brisbane look to do with pick one this year? Interestingly, they said earlier in the year they would be open to trading it for two top ten picks. Whilst Raynor is the standout player of the draft, he's reportedly very keen to stay in Melbourne.

https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/br...t/news-story/b5403a771c5e9bb8d54aa1a149ec0ba6

As a Saints supporter, I would hope we would approach Brisbane about a deal involving 7 & 9

I'm sure there would be plenty of other clubs that would be keen to get it also and may offer up both payers and picks to get their hands on it.

Absolutely I would consider turning 1 into 2 top 10 picks or 7 & next year's 1st.

I still reckon we need depth in quality, 1 top player won't fix anything. Will all depend on how well the club rates the talent, I get the feeling they aren't super exited about the draft crop this year in relation to holding pick 1 anyway.

What will Brisbane look to do with pick one this year? Interestingly, they said earlier in the year they would be open to trading it for two top ten picks. Whilst Raynor is the standout player of the draft, he's reportedly very keen to stay in Melbourne.

https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/br...t/news-story/b5403a771c5e9bb8d54aa1a149ec0ba6

As a Saints supporter, I would hope we would approach Brisbane about a deal involving 7 & 9

I'm sure there would be plenty of other clubs that would be keen to get it also and may offer up both payers and picks to get their hands on it.

Can't see why any other club like the Saints would do a trade like that...surely you would prefer 2 x top 10 picks?
Rayner has some question marks, mostly around his fitness.

Reckon Rayner might slide to North at pick 4.

If he's deemed a flight risk then Brisbane and GC won't risk picking him and Carlton desperately need a pure midfielder, not a forward who can pinch hit in the midfield.

I'm struggling to remember a year with less hype about the top end of the draft. Is this the new 2003?

It's only August - it'll build as always as the final draft order gets compiled

Quite a few phantom drafters have Cerra rocketing into top spot, and I reckon he'd fit Brisbane's needs fairly well

Rayner might get all the way to 4

It's only August - it'll build as always as the final draft order gets compiled

Quite a few phantom drafters have Cerra rocketing into top spot, and I reckon he'd fit Brisbane's needs fairly well

Rayner might get all the way to 4

Yeah, not feeling it this year yet, YouTube expertise yet to kick in perhaps ;)

How about drafting a spine? I'm not usually one to pot other clubs, but if I was a Brisbane supporter I'd be very worried about turning in a performance as insipid as this afternoon's, particularly against a side with 2 fit senior-listed players outside of the playing 22. Not sure I've seen a team put less effort into a game tbh

Talk is Bribane really rate Patty Dow, kid does have some very handy attributes, if we keep our pick he would be one of my perffered options.
He is one of those really bankable almost bustproof type players, he is a genuine big bodied midfielder, his contested stuff is very good, being both prolific and pretty effective, also has a very nice burst of speed, giving him that potential inside outside game.
He may be back in time for the U18 All Star game, but it wouldn't really matter if he wasn't, can't see him slipping out of the top 3, see abit of Clayton Oliver in him.

I can't see us trading pick 1 for the 2 St.Kilda picks (7&9), I think we are more likely to try and trade our current picks 14 (Ports) and 18 for a pick higher up eg. Collingwoods current pick 6, maybe the Saints pick 7.

The theory behind this would be to make sure we definitely get 2 picks in before Connor Ballenden is bid on.

Talk is Bribane really rate Patty Dow, kid does have some very handy attributes, if we keep our pick he would be one of my perffered options.
He is one of those really bankable almost bustproof type players, he is a genuine big bodied midfielder, his contested stuff is very good, being both prolific and pretty effective, also has a very nice burst of speed, giving him that potential inside outside game.
He may be back in time for the U18 All Star game, but it wouldn't really matter if he wasn't, can't see him slipping out of the top 3, see abit of Clayton Oliver in him.
Dow's not a big body. He's 184cm, so no as tall as many of todays big bodies mids. Easily the shortest of the top 4 (LDU and Rayner 187cm, Cerra 186cm). And he doesn't have the bulk or muscle mass of the others. He does have the frame to add some muscle though.

I can't see us trading pick 1 for the 2 St.Kilda picks (7&9), I think we are more likely to try and trade our current picks 14 (Ports) and 18 for a pick higher up eg. Collingwoods current pick 6, maybe the Saints pick 7.

The theory behind this would be to make sure we definitely get 2 picks in before Connor Ballenden is bid on.

Wouldn't you go the other way and trade 14 or 18 for 2 or 3 20s picks? Especially if you are going to trade for cameron then you have a second rounder for that and plenty of points for bids also.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think we're more open to trading Pick 1 than most other clubs have been, but that's only cos of the go-home factor. If we deem a Raynor-type to be the best but can't take him cos it is suspected (well based on BigFooty speculation) that he might jump off as soon as his rookie contract is up, then of course we'll try to trade. But we'd only be wanting to downgrade our first pick a few spots max so we'd still get the best non-Raynor player (hypothetically) So Pick 7 is probably a bridge too far if all we're getting in addition is Pick 9.

I don't think Raynor emerges as the consensus Pick 1 though. It's a pretty even top 5. Reckon we still probably hold Pick 1 in the end.

I don't think Dow's an inside mid in the true sense anyway. More an inside/outside mid in the Josh Kelly mould.

All the hype seems to be for Rayner at the moment, but I can easily see him slipping to 3 or 4. Still some uncertainty he'll be as effective as a full-time midfielder as he is a small forward, but his skillset will allow him to transition pretty easily.

I hope Carlton pass on him if Dow's available though.

How about drafting a spine? I'm not usually one to pot other clubs, but if I was a Brisbane supporter I'd be very worried about turning in a performance as insipid as this afternoon's, particularly against a side with 2 fit senior-listed players outside of the playing 22. Not sure I've seen a team put less effort into a game tbh
The thing about young teams is that they have up games and down games. If you want to judge the entire club off a game, why not use the Essendon game, for instance? But then that won't let you pot another club...

I cant see Rayner getting passed Carlton at 3. Lions are on the right track. Just keep going to the draft with as many top 30 picks as they can.

Don't know how much you can read into a rd 23 game, some players tend to switch off early. Plus with a bunch of 1st year players & several senior players playing injured I wouldn't be taking that as any formline

And if you do want to go potting clubs you should probably get your own house in order first. NM have so many issues, but this is not the thread to go into them all

I cant see Rayner getting passed Carlton at 3. Lions are on the right track. Just keep going to the draft with as many top 30 picks as they can.

Yep, I think Carlton takes Rayner at 3, North get the left over of Cerra or LDU.

Interesting that Brett Anderson has Naughton at 5 and Brander at 6.

I would of thought Brander would be red hot for Freo at that pick. Naughtons league performances have seen him rocket.

I think there's a lot to play out still, Taranto was ranked in the teens and McGrath at 6 this time last year by Twomey.

Stephenson and Fogarty are two I could see being taken top 5 by a club.

Last edited:

LOL, North fans getting cocky and arrogant because they avoided the friggin spoon.

Relative to pre-season expectations, Brisbane have had a much better year than North.

To me Brisbane desperately need an in and under midfielder in the mold of Cripps or Kennedy, someone who will win a lot of clearances. I think Brisbane should draft to needs, and if there is a player who is in pick 1 contention and is an excellent clearance player that is who they should take.

To me Brisbane desperately need an in and under midfielder in the mold of Cripps or Kennedy, someone who will win a lot of clearances. I think Brisbane should draft to needs, and if there is a player who is in pick 1 contention and is an excellent clearance player that is who they should take.

I think LDU is that player, Dow certainly wins inside ball though.

LDU has Kennedy/Cripps sort of scope. If his second half of the year matched his first, he'd be the consensus #1 imo.

What an average pot stirring post. Don't expect anything different from north fans here though...

Remove this Banner Ad

Back