Certified Legendary Thread Lions Players Instagram/Twitter catchup

Jun 17, 2006
Section 43
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
NFL - Green Bay Packers
I remember seeing Adrian Quist beat James Gilchrist, in straight sets, in the Qld Open Final at Milton.
Saw it live ..... that was better than on TV, even in them days.
Not sure of the year ....... but I know it was not all that long after I returned from the War.

Dylan12

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 7, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Chelsea, Boston Red Sox
All I’ll be hoping for are first round exits for two of the biggest flogs in Australian sports; Tomic and Kyrgios. Why the Australian media gives these campaigners any sort of coverage is beyond me; two of the most unlikable and arrogant tools you’d ever come across (and it has nothing to do with confidence (more like insecurities)).

M Malice

Hall of Famer
Aug 31, 2015
By the Gabba.
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Valleys. Chelsea.
All I’ll be hoping for are first round exits for two of the biggest flogs in Australian sports; Tomic and Kyrgios. Why the Australian media gives these campaigners any sort of coverage is beyond me; two of the most unlikable and arrogant tools you’d ever come across (and it has nothing to do with confidence (more like insecurities)).
I've actually haven't got much of a problem with them, it's an individual sport (It's up to the selectors if they want them for Davis Cup) and as such they can try or not try as much as they like, unless it involves match fixing gambling related issues, off court is mostly ho hum and meh to me.

They will wear any consequences for their efforts on court and behavior off court via loss of ranking points and/or sponsorship dollars/Tennis Australia support.

It is just a job to them and although it might be hard to accept that is the way they view it, if we the general public and tennis pundits see them as wasting their talent and potential well it's their talent to do with it as they will.

They're so old news. Tomic just stands at the base line for everything and Kyrgios, despite having a bottomless bag of tricks, just seems to just push every set to tie break and then gets shitty if he can't win everything off his serve.

The future is De Minaur and Thompson right now. At least they give a s**t.

Skoob

Brownlow Medallist
Jul 6, 2010
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
I've actually haven't got much of a problem with them, it's an individual sport (It's up to the selectors if they want them for Davis Cup) and as such they can try or not try as much as they like, unless it involves match fixing gambling related issues, off court is mostly ho hum and meh to me.

They will wear any consequences for their efforts on court and behavior off court via loss of ranking points and/or sponsorship dollars/Tennis Australia support.

It is just a job to them and although it might be hard to accept that is the way they view it, if we the general public and tennis pundits see them as wasting their talent and potential well it's their talent to do with it as they will.
I don't follow tennis, and very much had this attitude. What do they owe anyone, in an individual sport/event? That's fine up to a point, and there is an argument that win, lose, succeed or fail, it's their business. They're not employed by Tennis Australia (AFAIK).

Of course, that can wear a bit thin, when you consider fans of the game really want someone to get behind. Fans want an Aussie hero to do well and to support. There are probably some talented players out there, who don't get the recognition or opportunities while these 2 clog up the system. (Haven't both been awarded wild card entries at various times/events). It's not much of a likeable trait; just turning up, going through the motions, giving up when it gets a bit hard, then collect a cheque on the way out. Talk to the press and whoever, as if your s**t doesn't stink, with a mountain of attitude like you're a superstar.
They really are unlikable.

It is their talent to waste, but I think along the way, they waste a lot of other people's time, money, interest and support. Fewer want to hear from either of them and in time, they erode some people's interest in the game.

Then there is Davis Cup, which is a team sport. There was a hint at the Lions (and other clubs) that some players just treat it as a job. Turn up, go through the motions, get paid, without true passion to succeed and for your team to succeed. These types are a bit of a drain on the sport, turning disappointment into disinterest. That ultimately costs everyone money and is bad for the game.

They're not employed by Tennis Australia
Not employed but certain players do receive funding from TA, which in turn receives funding from the federal government. Tomic and Kyrgios are absolutely included in these players developed on TA funding. So every time they step out onto the court, and do a pisspoor job (and then admit they didn't care in the press conference) they are admitting they have wasted TA's money that could've gone to supporting someone else with more passion and heart.

bungalow_bill

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 11, 2010
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Recall Tomic being interviewed as a kid saying he was going/wanting to win multiple grand slams. Perhaps the day to day grind and lack of success just drained the passion and motivation out of him.

Recall Tomic being interviewed as a kid saying he was going/wanting to win multiple grand slams. Perhaps the day to day grind and lack of success just drained the passion and motivation out of him.
When I was a twelve year old, I wanted to win a Gold medal at the Olympics in Swimming.
I was very good as a twelve yr old and it wasn’t an unrealistic expectation!
But things happen, life happens and things change. Unfortunate but true!

Last edited:

M Malice

Hall of Famer
Aug 31, 2015
By the Gabba.
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Valleys. Chelsea.
I don't follow tennis, and very much had this attitude. What do they owe anyone, in an individual sport/event? That's fine up to a point, and there is an argument that win, lose, succeed or fail, it's their business. They're not employed by Tennis Australia (AFAIK).

Of course, that can wear a bit thin, when you consider fans of the game really want someone to get behind. Fans want an Aussie hero to do well and to support. There are probably some talented players out there, who don't get the recognition or opportunities while these 2 clog up the system. (Haven't both been awarded wild card entries at various times/events). It's not much of a likeable trait; just turning up, going through the motions, giving up when it gets a bit hard, then collect a cheque on the way out. Talk to the press and whoever, as if your s**t doesn't stink, with a mountain of attitude like you're a superstar.
They really are unlikable.

It is their talent to waste, but I think along the way, they waste a lot of other people's time, money, interest and support. Fewer want to hear from either of them and in time, they erode some people's interest in the game.

Then there is Davis Cup, which is a team sport. There was a hint at the Lions (and other clubs) that some players just treat it as a job. Turn up, go through the motions, get paid, without true passion to succeed and for your team to succeed. These types are a bit of a drain on the sport, turning disappointment into disinterest. That ultimately costs everyone money and is bad for the game.
Some nice points Skoob, it comes down to whether they owe the people who put time, interest, support and money into them 100% commitment and effort, I would have thought some of the said people would have been paid for their time and efforts as well.

Supporters, sponsors, trainers etc. will eventually dry up for them if they don't see Tomic and Kyrgios as worth the time or money.

bungalow_bill

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 11, 2010
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Yes personally I don't give two hoots whether they try tank whatever don't care. But I think TA did invest a lot of money & time into them so some people may feel ****ed off when come across as so blase. Kyrgios it's also a shame as he has so much talent and potential and could make it to number one if he put in the effort.

yeah but you can have just a good time on a fraction of that cost. Think of all the weed that could be bought for $400!!!

Get so damn high you could stare at a wall for hours on end and you wouldn't tell the difference between that and a modern day live tennis match!@!@!

Obvious you haven't bought weed for quite a while:)

acuguy

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 31, 2000
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Tennis is a sport that has suffered significantly by technology. Bring back wooden racquets and the serve/volley game. The sort of tennis that is played in heaven.

bungalow_bill

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 11, 2010
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Tennis is a sport that has suffered significantly by technology. Bring back wooden racquets and the serve/volley game. The sort of tennis that is played in heaven.

How many pure serve and volley players around? Back then you had Edberg McEnroe Rafter. Remember watching Rafter V Chang at the US open. It was awesome tennis with Rafter storming the net and pounding volley after volley past poor Chang

Back