M Malice

Hall of Famer
Aug 31, 2015
By the Gabba.
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Valleys. Chelsea.
Great to see the Shark back in Brisbane, gee he looks taut, trim and terrifically fit. He was one of my first sporting hero's, got me into playing golf for a short while.

MacMum

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 6, 2007
Ballarat
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Great photo to have in their collection. Loving the Brissy International atm.....just a bit concerned at the talk of going back to just a WTA event in 2020. the girls tennis doesnt excite like the guys do or a mixed event

Great photo to have in their collection. Loving the Brissy International atm.....just a bit concerned at the talk of going back to just a WTA event in 2020. the girls tennis doesnt excite like the guys do or a mixed event
If it does then maybe ticket prices will calm down. They have been crazy expensive for the past two years compared to what they were previously and the volume of tennis you get to see.

MacMum

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 6, 2007
Ballarat
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Yes, they tend to outprice themselves eventually. Kooyong used to be a well attended event, (current format) but hardly anyone there this week.

Is it the pricing? I tend to think it is and that tennis fans no longer can afford both Kooyong and Aus Open..

It certainly was for us. We used to fly down to Melbourne for the Aus Open every year and attend 3 or so night sessions in the second week, and loved that a competition started up in Brisbane a few weeks before as well. Then the Aus Open started to get too expensive to add flights and hotels to (over $150 per ticket per session and mid-tier seating we were looking to go to), so we opted to just do Brisbane instead for the past few years - and now Brisbane's starting to get up there too - again nearing and just over $100 per ticket for the sessions we'd normally go to midway through the comp, and we're only seeing 3 sets from the men's matches. It's just crazy.

Agreed on Kooyong, the stands look 80% empty on the TV.

MacMum

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 6, 2007
Ballarat
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
We went to the Open a couple of times in the past, but it has got too expensive now. Quite happy to sit at home and watch on the telly, better viewing anyway, see everything that is going on.

...and more and more people will do the same.. I really doubt in 10yrs+ time they will be getting the same crowd as they do now due to the price of tickets etc.

I hope I'm wrong, but I really don't think I am unfortunately.

Can see Ash Barty taking out this Sydney tournament ... gee she's playing well these days. De Minaur is an excitement machine, looking forward to seeing him play this arvo too, I reckon he can also take out the tournament. Love watching them both play. Good times ahead for both of them.

May 30, 2013
BNE, AUS
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Chicago Bears, Cubs, Bulls
I looked into tickets for the Brisbane tournament last year for the family and was shocked at how expensive it would be for a two hour session. From memory it was around $400 for average seats for 2 adults/2 kids at a night session and I think about $250 for similar seats at a day session where you only see low ranking players. We're not really fans so not worth it but if cheaper we would have gone just because we like sport and events. In the 90's in Sydney they had a tournament just after the US open in September that I went to for a few years. I got to see players like Becker, Edberg, Lendl and Wilander for peanuts. Not paying top dollar to see grunting Russians I've never heard of playing robot tennis.

bungalow_bill

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 11, 2010
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
I looked into tickets for the Brisbane tournament last year for the family and was shocked at how expensive it would be for a two hour session. From memory it was around $400 for average seats for 2 adults/2 kids at a night session and I think about $250 for similar seats at a day session where you only see low ranking players. We're not really fans so not worth it but if cheaper we would have gone just because we like sport and events. In the 90's in Sydney they had a tournament just after the US open in September that I went to for a few years. I got to see players like Becker, Edberg, Lendl and Wilander for peanuts. Not paying top dollar to see grunting Russians I've never heard of playing robot tennis.

I'm jealous. Ever see McEnroe? And Lendl was a great player but known for being a robotic player.

May 30, 2013
BNE, AUS
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Chicago Bears, Cubs, Bulls
I'm jealous. Ever see McEnroe? And Lendl was a great player but known for being a robotic player.

I did actually see McEnroe on grass against Edberg in Adelaide. I can't remember what that tournament was. A short exhibition I think and I just happened to be in town. McEnroe was ageing and Edberg was in his prime and won. Things are relative. McEnroe was a brat (not when I saw him) but he was ultra competitive and I don't remember him doing the tanking thing like Kyrgios and Tomic do. Lendl was considered a bit robotic and boring in his day (and not a great bloke by many accounts) but compared to these days seems so much more creative to me. His attempts to counter the serve/volley players with single-handed shots on both sides of his body, especially down the line, were pretty cool to watch when I saw him.

bungalow_bill

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 11, 2010
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
I did actually see McEnroe on grass against Edberg in Adelaide. I can't remember what that tournament was. A short exhibition I think and I just happened to be in town. McEnroe was ageing and Edberg was in his prime and won. Things are relative. McEnroe was a brat (not when I saw him) but he was ultra competitive and I don't remember him doing the tanking thing like Kyrgios and Tomic do. Lendl was considered a bit robotic and boring in his day (and not a great bloke by many accounts) but compared to these days seems so much more creative to me. His attempts to counter the serve/volley players with single-handed shots on both sides of his body, especially down the line, were pretty cool to watch when I saw him.

Age and chronic hip pain took a toll on McEnroe's tennis. In his prime the best player ever IMHO. It was an Australian (Roche) who helped Lendl take down McEnroe at the '85 US open

Sep 14, 2012
Broadbeach
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
All you poor sods need to dig deep into your back pockets and spend the damn money. Nothing beats the live experience
yeah but you can have just a good time on a fraction of that cost. Think of all the weed that could be bought for $400!!!

Get so damn high you could stare at a wall for hours on end and you wouldn't tell the difference between that and a modern day live tennis match!@!@!

Back