Mr Ripper

Pink-cheeked and robust
Dec 21, 1999
Far North Fitzroy
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Fitzroy FC
Well, the 2011 NEAFL :)o) fixture is done. Link to story. Might have to wait 'til they fix up their own link to get to the nitty gritty.

An excerpt:
BRISBANE LIONS RESERVES – ... Will travel to Darwin (Round 11) to play the NT and to Sydney’s Blacktown Stadium to play the Giants (Round 14) and Swans Reserves (Round 21). Still to confirm whether they will play curtain-raisers at the Gabba, they have three games still ‘floating’ in the draw – against the Suns Reserves (Round 6) that will be at Yeronga or the Gabba, and against the Giants (Round 8) and the Swans Reserves (Round 10) that will be Coorparoo or the Gabba. Will play the Suns three times, the Giants, Morningside, Labrador, NT and Swans Reserves twice, and Southport, Redland, Mt.Gravatt, Aspley and Broadbeach only once each. Will have a bye in Round 3 and Round 18.

"Unbalanced draw" springs to mind.

Was exactly what I feared would happen. The comp totally revolves around getting AFL Reserves standard games for the AFL clubs, rather than as a balanced competition. In other words, it is a glorified series of scratch matches, where the outcome is less important than "games under the belt" for reserves players.

Selfishly, good for us that we'll be getting (in theory) better competition more often (which is a pretty arrogant thing to say given recent records, but you know what I mean). Turns the existing QAFL into Mickey Mouse land, though.

What else can one expect from an AFL run competition. :rolleyes:

Collingwood was going to enter its reserves into the NEAFL, but not even the AFL could figure out how to give them 20 home games in that comp.

Was exactly what I feared would happen. The comp totally revolves around getting AFL Reserves standard games for the AFL clubs, rather than as a balanced competition. In other words, it is a glorified series of scratch matches, where the outcome is less important than "games under the belt" for reserves players.

Which should be our focus - to get the best preparation for our youngsters for AFL. One thing I like is them getting a taste of fly in/fly out football, just like the big time. A disadvantage suffered by QLD/NSW AFL teams - the gap between local and national competitions - has been acknowledged. Would dearly love some television coverage.

Selfishly, good for us that we'll be getting (in theory) better competition more often (which is a pretty arrogant thing to say given recent records, but you know what I mean). Turns the existing QAFL into Mickey Mouse land, though.

Agreed about the competition. I also like the setting up of Qld/NSW rivalry at a lower level. It is a small part of growing the game up north that has been lost on the AFL.

As to the QAFL, IMO this format is not a finished product & future years will find a balance between the 2 needs (local & regional). Must help[ in recruiting southern footballers though - the opportunity to compete in the NEAFL.

Bring it on, I say.

What CtD said. Two different comps. Labrador and Morningside (and NT) will be representing the QAFL in the Foxtel knockout job.

And I am pretty sure I read somewhere that they are looking to have NT versus someone as a curtain raiser to our round 1 game:thumbsu:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

And I am pretty sure I read somewhere that they are looking to have NT versus someone as a curtain raiser to our round 1 game:thumbsu:

they already had morningside pitted against the thunder when they brought the fixture out for that comp a week or 2 ago. labrador were going to play norwood before norwood pulled out

Alrighty, the AFLQ IT geeks have fixed up their link. :thumbsu:
2011 NEAFL Northern Conference Fixture

For us it's:
1 - Morningside @ Morningside
2 - Labrador @ Labrador
3 - Bye
4 - Southport @ Sherwood
5 - Redland @ Redland
6 - GC @ Southport
7 - GWS @ Coorparoo/Gabba
8 - NT @ Sherwood
9 - Labrador @ Sherwood
10 - Sydney @ Coorparoo/Gabba
11 - NT @ Darwin
12 - Bye for Inter-League match
13 - Mt. Gravatt @ Mt. Gravatt
14 - Aspley @ Aspley
15 - GWS @ Blacktown
16 - Broadbeach @ Sherwood
17 - GC @ Carrara
18 - Bye
19 - Morningside @ Sherwood
20 - GC @ Coorparoo/Gabba
21 - Sydney @ Blacktown

EDIT: Have made alteration wrt the round 6 game being transferred to Southport due to the Yeronga ground's state of not-quite-readiness.

Does anyone know if the listed player limits will be lifted when GWS/Sydney/Brisbane/Gold Coast play each other?

Don't see why they shouldn't. The top-up system was designed to protect the state league teams. If the AFL reserve sides are playing each other, there is no reason why we shouldn't be able to play as many senior listed players as we want.

From memory I do remember seeing something on it saying that when AFL sides played each other the limits would be lifted. Fairly sure on this one.

Will be interesting to see if the limits get applied to GC when playing in the QAFL? Or will the AFL give them another hand and let them play them all with the reasoning that they are all only 17-18 years old?

Otherwise where will they get top up players from?

From memory I do remember seeing something on it saying that when AFL sides played each other the limits would be lifted. Fairly sure on this one.

Will be interesting to see if the limits get applied to GC when playing in the QAFL? Or will the AFL give them another hand and let them play them all with the reasoning that they are all only 17-18 years old?

Otherwise where will they get top up players from?

When the AFL teams play, all restrictions on listed players are lifted-this is the main point of the NEAFL. Also in 2011 GWS play with no restrictions.

I agree with fatcat, the suns reserves should also play with no restrictions in 2011 otherwise they are my tip for the spoon as they will simply be too young against men in a strengthening QAFL comp.

When the AFL teams play, all restrictions on listed players are lifted-this is the main point of the NEAFL. Also in 2011 GWS play with no restrictions.

I agree with fatcat, the suns reserves should also play with no restrictions in 2011 otherwise they are my tip for the spoon as they will simply be too young against men in a strengthening QAFL comp.

I'm actually against them getting any more compensation. Should have to have the same rules we play with. Most of the guys playing in our reserves are young so don't see why they should get any special treatment there.

No trip to Southport :thumbsu: and no trip to Broadbeach :thumbsu::thumbsu:.

No trip to Southport :thumbsdown: and no trip to Broadbeach:thumbsdown::thumbsdown:

When did Yeronga become the home of the AFLQ as well:confused: Have I not been concentrating lately??:cool:

RESTRICTIONS FOR LIONS RESERVES

The Brisbane Lions Reserves have two sets of playing conditions in the new North East Australian Football League season, with restrictions still applying when they meet non-AFL clubs.

With half of their season played against fellow AFL clubs Sydney Swans, Gold Coast Suns and Greater Western Sydney Giants, the Lions will be able to field a full list.

However, against local former QAFL clubs, the Lions will be restricted to a maximum of 14 listed players on the field during the first half of any home and away or finals match.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back