Lions Season 2020

Remove this Banner Ad

I think Bont is a star. Dunkley and MacRae are both decent, but for me it ends here. Bailey Smith is a long way off being a reliable mid (he's a kid, nor should he just yet), Lachie Hunter is stat inflated average midfielder with no contested game, Libba is average, Wallis is a better version of Lester.

It really isn't that exciting.

Yeah I agree on the last 3 mate.
Was spewing that we didn’t land Wallis last year... before Jarryd Lyons came through the door! Makes Wallis look very average now.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Was spewing that we didn’t land Wallis last year... before Jarryd Lyons came through the door! Makes Wallis look very average now.

I can't believe we lost Wallis, only for a better player in Lyons to fall into our lap. We lucked out!

Wallis is the better forward player but Lyons is the better inside midfielder. We absolutly needed a better midfielder and didn't matter about scoring power as we scored the most points of any club last season iirc

Wallis is the better forward player but Lyons is the better inside midfielder. We absolutly needed a better midfielder and didn't matter about scoring power as we scored the most points of any club last season iirc

Even comparing the two up forward is not as clear cut. Lyons only averaged .2 goals per game less than Wallis (over a larger sample size too) and as you've said he's clearly the better midfielder. Easy choice.

Lyons ability to find a way to goal from getting first hands on the ball in congestion means that I rate him higher even if his actual goal ratio was 20% less.

Lyons ability to find a way to goal from getting first hands on the ball in congestion means that I rate him higher even if his actual goal ratio was 20% less.

Also, his ability to hit targets inside 50 is better than Wallis. The highlight for me against the Roos when he got the ball in the forward pocket and somehow nailed a lob kick over everyone straight onto Charlie's chest. That sort of vision is elite.

Also, his ability to hit targets inside 50 is better than Wallis. The highlight for me against the Roos when he got the ball in the forward pocket and somehow nailed a lob kick over everyone straight onto Charlie's chest. That sort of vision is elite.

I would have Lyons forward any day.

The GWS midfield has to be better than 12th too

I'm guessing a lot of it is based off last year's (I know they said two years, so it's at least 50%) individual player rankings. So Ward and Coniglio are both significantly penalised and it's basically just scoring off Whitfield (maybe - their system thinks he's a forward for some idiotic reason, looking at SC/DT, so he might not even count), Taranto and Hopper.

Disagree. Lyons is deadly in front of goals and his hit rate is up there with the best. Lyons is way in front of Wallis in every way in my opinion.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Anyone else looking forward to what a fit Christenson can bring?
I would expect the same as last year.

I’m just not sure Christensen makes the best 22 if Zorko plays forward more, and CEY is in the best 22.

Certainly good depth, and hope he helps Cox and Coleman with their development.

I would expect the same as last year.

I’m just not sure Christensen makes the best 22 if Zorko plays forward more, and CEY is in the best 22.

Certainly good depth, and hope he helps Cox and Coleman with their development.
His composure around goals is impressive. Kicked 16??? Goals from 13 games. If he plays all year he could kick 30 odd. Him and zorks could rotate. Not saying Christo is a lock but he certainly can add a different option for goal.

Rayner playing a run with role against Rankine. Club must want Cam to lose another 6kg.

maybe giving Cam the opportunity to prove to himself that he now has the fitness to take on that role??

Can’t underestimate how important confidence is in young players.

Leadership group 9 strong 💪
Bundy has stepped down and Jarryd Lyons and Clugga added.
Half our team is in the leadership group.:rolleyes:
tenor.gif

Everyone gets to be one. You, you and you and we won't forget you as well

Half our team is in the leadership group.:rolleyes:
tenor.gif

Everyone gets to be one. You, you and you and we won't forget you as well

I don't mind it as it gives the young blokes a chance to develop and means we've got leaders responsible for each line and in the NEAFL. I see it as more of a developmental approach for us

Leigh Matthews did a similar thing when he was rebuilding the team after the GF's. He argued the extended leadership group gave him players on each section of the ground that would lead the next generation of players. I think this leadership group will give us players around the ground even through mid-field rotations. Maybe only missing element is one of the forwards missing (Hippy, McStay, Charlie, McArthy) one of those stay in the forward types, directing traffic then again Zorko is there a lot.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back