Lions Season 2020

Remove this Banner Ad

I'm not sure they ever release anything beyond the top 10?

They used to release it with votes per game as well but haven't the past year or 2. I think the 10 I listed in the club champion thread as missing out on the top 10 would've been 11-20 in some order given we probably only had 20 guys plus Stef and CEY who played more than 5 games

Odd.... Does bring back some bad memories though and really makes you think how far we've come this year and last since those days. Would still be nice to know what happened back then.

Apology to Angus Johnson

In 2019, The Courier-Mail published an article concerning the Brisbane Lions which mentioned the club’s former chairman Angus Johnson. This article followed an earlier article published in 2013 which also mentioned Mr Johnson.

The Courier-Mail wishes to correct some of the statements made in those articles concerning Mr Johnson. The AFL did not require Mr Johnson to resign from the board as a price for extending financial assistance to the Lions in 2013, and, therefore, Mr Johnson did not refuse to do so. Nor, in the dispute at the time, did the AFL express any preference for either of the competing camps to take control of the board. There was no connection between the AFL’s offer and the chairmanship or composition of the board of the Lions. The Courier-Mail withdraws the statements to the contrary and apologises to Mr Johnson for any hurt or offence caused to him or his reputation.

I'm pretty sure that none of that correction is actually true so a good effort by Angus' legal team to protect what's left of his reputation.

What is everyone expecting for next year ? Back to normal qtrs and fixtures ? Can't see why not
18 minute quarters is the scuttlebutt, I also hope they cut the time between a goal and the centre bounce and quarter time breaks back to pre Covid.

I wouldn't mind betting they keep the goal > bounce break at 1 minute because of advertising revenue though.

18 minute quarters is the scuttlebutt, I also hope they cut the time between a goal and the centre bounce and quarter time breaks back to pre Covid.

I wouldn't mind betting they keep the goal > bounce break at 1 minute because of advertising revenue though.

I'd prefer to go back to 20 minutes but I could live with 18.

That minute gap between goal and next centre square is a real drag if you're at the game. Sort of deflates the atmosphere while you have to sit there and watch the clock count back on the screen.

I get the need to generate ad income but I really hope they can do something to reduce that delay

Just listened to the Roar Deal with fages on and it was great to hear that the forgotten player Tommy Joyce had been blitzing the last few scratch matches after some time off in WA. Let's hope he is speedy n gets a decent shot at 1s next season.

I've just listened to the Roar Deal as well, interesting when Fages was talking about how long he will coach.... I want the club/players to always be moving forward, if I feel that is not happening it's probably time to move on. Coaches have a life span at a club. My contract is up next year and I haven't spoken to anyone at the club about what happens after that. My age comes into it as well. ALSO the coaching group as a collective want to take pay cuts to keep them together:hearts::hearts:.

Sign him up for another couple of years please Messrs Noble and Swann.

On the trade front he did mention that having Daniher in will give us a very good one two punch in the KPF area, obviously thinks McStay/Hipwood as a pair is not it. Also said midfield pace and skill is an area of need.

We all love Fagan for everything he's done for the club and the players, but it would be naive to simply assume that a coach who is superb at getting the most out of a very young playing group is necessarily the person to give an older group the edge required to play in and win a grand final. Fagan's judgement is shrewd and selfless here I think.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hear hear.

Such a simple proposition but so difficult in practice for us.

So many H&A games that turned into much closer results on the scoreboard than they should have. Due, almost entirely to us being so wasteful with our opportunities. What should have been comfortable wins often turned into energy sapping last ditch efforts to stave off fast finishing opponents.

The Melbourne, North, Collingwood and Saints games are ones that readily come to mind.

And who could forget the ridiculous scoreline of 10.23 we chalked up against the Crows in Round 4. When somehow Clug and Lachie conspired to kick 1 goal 12 between them. We won that match by 3.19:eek:

Even on Saturday night we had chances to claw our way back into it but Hipwood, McStay, Lester and Zorko all fluffed their lines by missing what were easy set shots. Three of those were close to sodas (the most difficult one, the MC Stay attempt was a bit unlucky as it seemed to deviate late to cannon into the post). The most frustrating part of those misses is that it was the three glorious long bomb goals , two by Lachie and one by Cam, that has kept us in the match in the first place.

We almost played Richmond back into the QF after that appalling miss from Berry that would have just about been the sealer.

I don't know whether our problems are psychological or due to insufficient simulation of match conditions during practice,

Whatever, the issue needs some serious attention during the off season.
Couple of interesting points, you would imagine the match sims would be nowhere near the intensity of a AFL game or especially finals. Also with the best 22-24 playing together for most of the match sims, would imagine the ressie team would struggle a bit. Some of the missed shots because of the situation of the game/s would appear to be psychological. McStay is a good field kick but when he takes a set shot just appears not to be confident.

What is everyone expecting for next year ? Back to normal qtrs and fixtures ? Can't see why not
Believe this will likely occur;
*Slight reductions in list sizes
*Player payments reduced around 10-15%
*18 min Q's
*Reduction in interchange, most teams don't use the allowable maximum anyway. Start fatiguing players more, might open up the game, might be a few more errors though.

Would love to see, but probably won't;
*Penalties for any hands in the back, this notion of protecting your space for the ball drop has resulted in defenders being disadvantaged when taking the front position when playing against an experienced forward, Hawkins and Riewoldt are two that have been getting away with hands in the back.
*25 H & A season, top 8 from previous season playing each other twice. Get rid of Marsh preseason and start the season earlier (like NRL) AND keep last Sat in Sept as GF
*One week of footy Frenzy
*Get rid of the bye after the completion of the H & A season. Dislike the weeks break before the semis, especially if you win the first QSemi and have another weeks rest before the Prelim (such as Lions and Port this year) NRL does not do it.

Worst case scenario;
*COVID 19 forces another lockdown and as a result Hubs similar to this year, occur again.

*Get rid of the bye after the completion of the H & A season. Dislike the weeks break before the semis, especially if you win the first QSemi and have another weeks rest before the Prelim (such as Lions and Port this year) NRL does not do it.
This was something Chris Fagan mentioned and was clearly not happy with during the latest Roar Deal Podcast, spent a good few minutes detailing how it disadvantaged the Qualifying Final winner and was something that he was worried about going into the Preliminary Final at the time(did not mention his thoughts to the players though), also said the the Cats were just too good for us.

He also pointed out stats that he had spent time going over that showed the percentage of teams who won the QF who go on to make the GF has dropped from 75% pre the finals bye coming in to 20% in the 5 years it has been in. He said he will be pushing for it to be done away with at every opportunity.

This was something Chris Fagan mentioned and was clearly not happy with during the latest Roar Deal Podcast, spent a good few minutes detailing how it disadvantaged the Qualifying Final winner and was something that he was worried about going into the Preliminary Final at the time(did not mention his thoughts to the players though), also said the the Cats were just too good for us.

He also pointed out stats that he had spent time going over that showed the percentage of teams who won the QF who go on to make the GF has dropped from 75% pre the finals bye coming in to 20% in the 5 years it has been in. He said he will be pushing for it to be done away with at every opportunity.

As part of the CBA the players want 2 byes throughout the year.
So it may mean a bye between rounds 8-10 and then another between rounds 18-20.
Which I think would make sense.

Just listened to the Roar Deal with fages on and it was great to hear that the forgotten player Tommy Joyce had been blitzing the last few scratch matches after some time off in WA. Let's hope he is speedy n gets a decent shot at 1s next season.

He was pretty highly rated after his underage year going into his draft year popping up on a few of those "top draftees to watch" lists, but then suffered from injuries before being drafted. Fingers crossed for him.

Penalties for any hands in the back, this notion of protecting your space for the ball drop has resulted in defenders being disadvantaged when taking the front position when playing against an experienced forward, Hawkins and Riewoldt are two that have been getting away with hands in the back
I think it's fine the way it is. If we go back to paying free kicks for any hands in the back during a marking contest you get the likes of Grimes diving and flopping all over the place at the slightest touch. I think it forces defenders to keep their feet. I'll agree that a push out should be a free kick, but I'd rather have players using their strength to hold their position.

but I'd rather have players using their strength to hold their position.
That’s what god gave us hips for. Why it gradually became “OK” to manhandle your opponent in marking (and ruck) contests is one of the main reasons I became disillusioned with the modern game cue old man yells at cloud memes.

Having Henriksen involved in the Academy could be massive. He's possibly the best young talent developer at the club I think, and a man who everyone seems to rave about.

Having Henriksen involved in the Academy could be massive. He's possibly the best young talent developer at the club I think, and a man who everyone seems to rave about.
If we are putting Zane and Henrikkson to the Academy then does that mean we wont be involved in the development of the senior players? The could be concerning

If we are putting Zane and Henrikkson to the Academy then does that mean we wont be involved in the development of the senior players? The could be concerning

Nope - hybrid roles. They’ll still be involved with the senior team in a part time development role.

A sad reflection of the soft cap cuts across the board unfortunately - we appear to have managed our cuts well so far compared to a number of other clubs with larger footy department spends.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back