Lions Season 2020

Remove this Banner Ad

Just listened to the Roar Deal with fages on and it was great to hear that the forgotten player Tommy Joyce had been blitzing the last few scratch matches after some time off in WA. Let's hope he is speedy n gets a decent shot at 1s next season.

Will be great to see the fringe players in action next year. Joyce Smith DRob etc

Basic but interesting piece on the age distribution of each list in the comp on stats insider. Here's the section on us:

Link to article: https://www.statsinsider.com.au/afl/afl-trade-period-primer-a-list-analysis-of-every-afl-club
6155c2c0-1c94-11eb-8ec3-0f4c230fe58a-gBR.png

Brisbane put 40% of their games this year into players 22 and under, which is above the AFL average of 34.3%.

Perhaps most encouragingly, it is the highest proportion of any of 2020’s finals teams, and their 106 coaches votes from players in this age group was the best in the league.

Overall the Lions have a nice mix of young, prime-age and veteran talent. It’s really no surprise to see them doing so well on the field.

It’s a good time to add more mature talent, which they’ve already done by signing free agent Joe Daniher.

Given the NEAFL thread is closed, figured this is the next best place to post this :

Confirms what I suspected about Oscars poor ruckwork

BRISBANE LIONS

Hitouts to advantage

Firstly, on the positive side, the Lions were ranked 14th for goals from key forwards and have brought in Joe Daniher to hopefully address that issue. Looking at other areas for improvement, Chris Fagan’s men ranked 15th for hitouts to advantage differential. Stefan Martin, who is now at the Western Bulldogs, ranked above average over his career in that statistic, so his loss may sting in the short-term while other prospects continue to develop. Should the Lions’ first pick be in the 40s (depending on another club bidding on academy pick Blake Coleman), ruck hopefuls Shannon Neale and Max Heath could be available. Additionally, Henry Walsh could be picked up with a rookie selection. It seems the main area of improvement the Lions can address this draft period.

Confirms what I suspected about Oscars poor ruckwork

BRISBANE LIONS

Hitouts to advantage

Firstly, on the positive side, the Lions were ranked 14th for goals from key forwards and have brought in Joe Daniher to hopefully address that issue. Looking at other areas for improvement, Chris Fagan’s men ranked 15th for hitouts to advantage differential. Stefan Martin, who is now at the Western Bulldogs, ranked above average over his career in that statistic, so his loss may sting in the short-term while other prospects continue to develop. Should the Lions’ first pick be in the 40s (depending on another club bidding on academy pick Blake Coleman), ruck hopefuls Shannon Neale and Max Heath could be available. Additionally, Henry Walsh could be picked up with a rookie selection. It seems the main area of improvement the Lions can address this draft period.

Oscar is pretty green. Has come a hell of a long way in two seasons and has a fair bit of improvement in him still.

Obviously you'd want to improve all areas of our game & hitouts to advantage is one of them, but when we play games against teams with the elite rucks in the comp Nic Nat, Grundy, Gawn etc, it's not hard to modify a game plan to compensate for being beaten in the ruck. Heck, Geelong has been doing it for years now.

Oscar is pretty green. Has come a hell of a long way in two seasons and has a fair bit of improvement in him still.

Obviously you'd want to improve all areas of our game & hitouts to advantage is one of them, but when we play games against teams with the elite rucks in the comp Nic Nat, Grundy, Gawn etc, it's not hard to modify a game plan to compensate for being beaten in the ruck. Heck, Geelong has been doing it for years now.
And we actually did it quite well this year in games against West Coast, Melbourne and others where our Rucks were beaten comprehensively.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hey Lions fans. I hope it's ok I post in here (I couldn’t find a dedicated “media” thread).

In our latest podcast my mate and I do, we continue our 2020 club reviews, discussing Brisbane this time.

From the 2.18min mark, we talk about the year the Lions had.
Give it a listen if you have a spare 15mins & wanting to consume some external opinions on your club while you patiently wait for 2021 to kick-off.

Footy Focus Podcast Ep 31 – 2021 – Club Reviews – Brisbane Lions & Melbourne Demons

Recorded on the 14th January 2021

- What worked, what failed, who deserves a pay rise & who needs a big 2021
- Plus, key list changes, our best 22, grade for 2020 & 2021 projection

Brisbane @ 2.18
- Backed up breakout 2019 season & wins first final since 2009
- Andrews the lynchpin of unheralded, reliable & rejuvenated defence
- High scoring but inaccurate in front of goal. Will it cost them in 2021?
- Bailey continues to develop & the Big O takes over #1 ruck mantle
- Hipwood shows consistency but can improve again & Dan to defence
- Can the Coleman brothers push for senior games, plus can T. Berry + Robertson break into on-ball brigade?

Hey Lions fans. I hope it's ok I post in here (I couldn’t find a dedicated “media” thread).

In our latest podcast my mate and I do, we continue our 2020 club reviews, discussing Brisbane this time.

From the 2.18min mark, we talk about the year the Lions had.
Give it a listen if you have a spare 15mins & wanting to consume some external opinions on your club while you patiently wait for 2021 to kick-off.

Footy Focus Podcast Ep 31 – 2021 – Club Reviews – Brisbane Lions & Melbourne Demons

Recorded on the 14th January 2021

- What worked, what failed, who deserves a pay rise & who needs a big 2021
- Plus, key list changes, our best 22, grade for 2020 & 2021 projection

Brisbane @ 2.18
- Backed up breakout 2019 season & wins first final since 2009
- Andrews the lynchpin of unheralded, reliable & rejuvenated defence
- High scoring but inaccurate in front of goal. Will it cost them in 2021?
- Bailey continues to develop & the Big O takes over #1 ruck mantle
- Hipwood shows consistency but can improve again & Dan to defence
- Can the Coleman brothers push for senior games, plus can T. Berry + Robertson break into on-ball brigade?

Would be keen to listen to this mate. Not sure if it’s just me, but when I clicked on the link it came up with ‘bad request.’ Not sure if anyone else has had the same problem?

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Would be keen to listen to this mate. Not sure if it’s just me, but when I clicked on the link it came up with ‘bad request.’ Not sure if anyone else has had the same problem?

Works for me. But you need to have Spotify installed.

Try the Google Podcast link above.
Cheers mate

No idea where to put this.

in the new Mitch podcast he mentions players needing to be able to play two positions as part of a conversation about our team taking pride in out lasting the opposition and dominating the junk time. Means greater fitness required and ability to adapt team structure by moving players around.

I like that it means players coming to the lions can't rest on a show reel of them in their best position but have to grow their game. A high draft pick would rarely be developed in two positions so when they walk through the door they know they have hard work ahead. Keeps the swagger under control and sets the standard for the amount of work it takes to succeed

Remove this Banner Ad

Back