Lions Season 2020

Remove this Banner Ad

If we use the median age instead of mean age to avoid the disproportionate effect of outliers like Stef we end up with the youngest list in the comp for the coming season...

If we use the median age instead of mean age to avoid the disproportionate effect of outliers like Stef we end up with the youngest list in the comp for the coming season...

What no standard deviations off the bell curve? :think:;)

Ah don't we love numbers. They all tell a different story depending on what you are looking for.
Is your club in a rebuild or in a premiership window are just two things that come to mind.

In my biased opinion (but numbers involved) the Lions are the youngest team in a premiership window followed by Richmond then GWS.

The game day "Inexperience watch" on Lions BF is a reasonably good indication on how the team will perform on game day.

Melbourne is the only team that has a median age greater than the average in the "Analysing AFL Team Age" graph.
I am not sure if it indicates they will be better or worse than 2019.

Emerging powerhouse Brisbane as well as West Coast and GWS boast the most ‘elite’ players of all 18 clubs.

Lions skipper Dayne Zorko as well as Daniel Rich, Mitch Robinson, Jarryd Lyons, Harris Andrews and club best and fairest Lachie Neale were deemed to be in the top 51 players in the AFL.

From Fox Sports, which I don't seem to be able to copy the URL from...

That is both more than I expected and also not the six I'd have named if you asked me.

Here is one that lists the players

Seems strange that they would include Callan Ward in GWs’s list but not Rance for the Tiges.
Both out for all but, of last year with injury.

GWS Giants (6 players)
  • Zac Williams (General defender)
  • Jeremy Finlayson (Key forward)
  • Jeremy Cameron (Key forward)
  • Lachie Whitfield (Mid-forward)
  • Callan Ward (Midfielder)
  • Stephen Coniglio (Midfielder)
Richmond (5 players)
  • Dustin Martin (Mid-forward)
  • Dion Prestia (Midfield)
  • Shane Edwards (General defender)
  • Nick Vlastuin (General defender)
  • Sydney Stack (General defender)

Hopefully more development sees more players getting from the below average group into the average and above. A lot of those below averages would be from a lack of consistency rather than ability.

Hopefully more development sees more players getting from the below average group into the average and above. A lot of those below averages would be from a lack of consistency rather than ability.
Yes need the bottom 10 players to improve.
Just goes to show that with a little luck and natural improvement we should take another step up in 2020.

BRISBANE
Champion Data overall list rating:
11th
List rating for 2019: 10th
Player breakdown
- Elite: 6
- Above average: 4
- Average: 5
- Below average: 8
- Poor: 2
We say: Is this a case of the collective triumphing over individual talent? It seems strange that a team that earned the double chance could have 10 sides ahead of it. While the Lions boast six elite players, the eight in the below average category could be a detracting factor.

Seems strange that they would include Callan Ward in GWs’s list but not Rance for the Tiges.
Both out for all but, of last year with injury.

GWS Giants (6 players)
  • Zac Williams (General defender)
  • Jeremy Finlayson (Key forward)
  • Jeremy Cameron (Key forward)
  • Lachie Whitfield (Mid-forward)
  • Callan Ward (Midfielder)
  • Stephen Coniglio (Midfielder)
Richmond (5 players)
  • Dustin Martin (Mid-forward)
  • Dion Prestia (Midfield)
  • Shane Edwards (General defender)
  • Nick Vlastuin (General defender)
  • Sydney Stack (General defender)
At the end of the day it’s Champion data which is stats only. Doesn’t pass the can the player play test.

have a mate who quotes SuperCoach scores as a barometer of ability and its painful.

Sometimes a good team is just greater than the sum of their parts....

(Log in to remove this ad.)

From Fox Sports, which I don't seem to be able to copy the URL from...

That is both more than I expected and also not the six I'd have named if you asked me.

Charlie is pretty stiff to miss. Clugga will be the other one.

Do we think clugga is gonna be used more on ball next year or play his predominantly winger role ?
The way that we play the game now means that the wing position is pretty much on ball anyway.
Just depends on whether you are playing on the skinny or the fat side of the play at any given time.

The way that we play the game now means that the wing position is pretty much on ball anyway.
Just depends on whether you are playing on the skinny or the fat side of the play at any given time.
This.

I believe we’ll play a very contested style of footy like we did last year.

We really don’t have any wingers on our list.

We have a few HBF’ers and HFF’ers and the a heap inside or inside outside mids, with Clugga being our only real outside mid.

Bailey and TBerry are our two mids with genuine pace. So we might see them play on the wing as they develop.

Just going by early preseason, TBerry looks a bit behind most of the other mids in his running.

Theres still a focus on getting behind the ball like we saw Robbo saving us in defence quite a few times last season.

I'm expecting Clugga to play more inside and Berry (and to a lesser extent Bailey) to play on the opposite wing to Robbo.

Theres still a focus on getting behind the ball like we saw Robbo saving us in defence quite a few times last season.

I'm expecting Clugga to play more inside and Berry (and to a lesser extent Bailey) to play on the opposite wing to Robbo.
We have two of the best wingers in the AFL. No need to change a good combination. I expect much of the same in 2020. With rotations, both will spend some time in midfield.
Much harder to put a hard tag on a winger than a mid. He has only played 3 seasons so maybe next year but i don't think that will happen.

We have an abundance of midfielders all fighting for a few positions baring injuries.
Having lots of midfield players is a good thing.
I remember a fairly recent Kevin Sheedy interview where he said "you can never have to many good midfielders - they can play many roles ".

Remove this Banner Ad

Back