Lions Season 2020

Remove this Banner Ad

jackess

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts
Aug 10, 2005
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
We have two of the best wingers in the AFL. No need to change a good combination. I expect much of the same in 2020. With rotations, both will spend some time in midfield.
Much harder to put a hard tag on a winger than a mid. He has only played 3 seasons so maybe next year but i don't think that will happen.

We have an abundance of midfielders all fighting for a few positions baring injuries.
Having lots of midfield players is a good thing.
I remember a fairly recent Kevin Sheedy interview where he said "you can never have to many good midfielders - they can play many roles ".

I think we already did change. McCluggage was playing far more inside in the second half of last season.

Nov 26, 2018
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
I think we already did change. McCluggage was playing far more inside in the second half of last season.
Thanks for your reply jackess- My perception on where Clugga played in the latter part of the year is different to yours.
We both probably watched or attended every game last year but recall his role differently.

During the year a poster from another Club posted stats on Lions BF with a breakup of who attended centre bounces. From memory (and i am getting old) it was always Neale, Lions, Zorko, Berry with a few each throughout the game of McCluggage, Robbo, McCarthy, Rayner. I can't remember which thread it was in, which in itself could tell you i am mistaken ha ha. I like this stat, as once the ball is bounced players go into game plan mode and is difficult to know their exact position/role in the modern game.

As you may have noticed i like to look at stats even though they don't tell the whole picture but are a guide.
First i went to the AFL site on my PC, believe it or not the "stats pro" they used last year is nowhere to be seen. As a matter of fact no stats anywhere. I checked on my phone app "stats pro". It is there but no figures this i will discuss in another thread. A few other sites i use don't have this type of stat.
The only thing i can find is "clearances" which covers both centre & stoppage together, so does not prove anything but they are listed below.
Order is 1st game to last courtesy of AFL tables.

briztoon

Wannabe Draft Nuffie
Nov 28, 2015
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
NUFC, Philadelphia 76'ers
We have an abundance of midfielders all fighting for a few positions baring injuries.
Having lots of midfield players is a good thing.
I remember a fairly recent Kevin Sheedy interview where he said "you can never have to many good midfielders - they can play many roles ".
Dom Ambrogio said the same thing on last year’s post draft Roar Deal episode.

Oct 13, 2001
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Lions
Dom Ambrogio said the same thing on last year’s post draft Roar Deal episode.

This goes back a bit but I have a memory of Nigel Lappin pinch hitting at full forward for about a half a game. either late 90's or early noughties.

He was terrific on the day . Think he kicked 3 or 4 goals and looked like he could play there effectively any time.

I can also remember Chris Scott playing FF one Sunday arvo at the Gabba when we were the Bears (playing none other than Fitzroy). Would have been 1995 or 1996, He killed it, apart from missing several sitters. Might have kicked 3.5 or something like that.**

We couldn't get a thing going in the forward line until Northey swung that left field change.

Vossy was also a more than capable FF if called on to do the role.

Class mids just find a way to do the job.

**Edit

I found that game here

C Scott 5.6 and M.Voss 4.6

Round 11 Sunday 11 June 1995 at the Gabba

Attendance 8209o_O

Last edited:

Maroon Monsoon

All Australian
Oct 1, 2019
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
It's all stats IIRC, so yeah - they aren't watching.

I thought it was stat's based but then how do they justify having majak dawe and cal ward in there after both missing a year, and buddy after he barely played and had a really down statistical year? If they were gonna ignore missed time you'd think Tom Mitchell gets in. Also found it strange they ignore Charlie, Tom lynch, Ben Brown and Michael Walters but managed to include Tex bloody walker as elite in the forward line

Feels a little like they're pulling it out of a hat with some of them...

From memory the Champion Data ratings for players is based over a two year period with perhaps greater weighting to the most recent year which might explain some of the oddness.

BangyBangy

BangyBangyMightyLoins
Oct 16, 2013
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
This goes back a bit but I have a memory of Nigel Lappin pinch hitting at full forward for about a half a game. either late 90's or early noughties.

He was terrific on the day . Think he kicked 3 or 4 goals and looked like he could play there effectively any time.

I can also remember Chris Scott playing FF one Sunday arvo at the Gabba when we were the Bears (playing none other than Fitzroy). Would have been 1995 or 1996, He killed it, apart from missing several sitters. Might have kicked 3.5 or something like that.**

We couldn't get a thing going in the forward line until Northey swung that left field change.

Vossy was also a more than capable FF if called on to do the role.

Class mids just find a way to do the job.

**Edit

I found that game here

C Scott 5.6 and M.Voss 4.6

Round 11 Sunday 11 June 1995 at the Gabba

Attendance 8209o_O

Could've been a right belting if the Bears had of kicked straight lol. 17 goals 30 behinds.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

jackess

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts
Aug 10, 2005
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
2020 clash jumper

FB_IMG_1575878727585.jpg

Maroon Monsoon

All Australian
Oct 1, 2019
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Sadly it’s more like South Melbourne’s “V” than it is the Bears though.

I didn't see it until you pointed it out but you're absolutely right. Takes the shine off a little, but even if the jumper isn't ticking my boxes I must admit it's still a lot nicer r than most clash guernseys

May 3, 2005
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Scuderia Ferrari, Dallas Cowboys
The club once again shitting on the Bears heritage.

Maroon V.

Fitzroy Lion.

I see one visual element from each merged club.

I prefer the yellow clash but there is nothing in this one that offends me as a Bear.

Sep 14, 2012
Broadbeach
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Maroon V.

Fitzroy Lion.

I see one visual element from each merged club.

I prefer the yellow clash but there is nothing in this one that offends me as a Bear.
I don't get why they can't have the Bears colours? Go the Brisbane Lions jumper for home, the Fitzroy inspired jumper for Vic games and now this for everything else? Much prefer last years clash.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back