Lions Season 2020

Remove this Banner Ad

North have a couple of really good young kids, and had the chance to add a couple more at the recent draft, but added a couple of high risk high reward types instead, and a Jack Higgins lite. Have a couple of picks in the first round next year as well.

Adelaide really only started their rebuild. Also have a couple of picks in the first round of next year.

I almost said Geelong, as I don’t rate a lot of their kids, but they also have three first round picks next year.

West Coast don’t have much decent youth either.

Adelaide and Geelong have the two lists with the least upside imo.

Cats are getting old with not a lot coming through. But North. They’re pretty bad with a very inexperienced coach. Not sure he would have what it takes to get them through a long drought. Scott does have runs on the board. Just can’t help but think North are on the verge of being a basket case.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Last edited:
Adelaide and Geelong have the two lists with the least upside imo.
I see some similarities between Adelaide and us from about 2015.

They have some decent mature mids, which will help in their rebuild. They have a couple of young mids who could be good. And they’ve just drafted some young KPP’s to go with Fogarty from two years back.

Plus they have two first, two second and two third round picks in next years draft, as well as a FS kid and an NGA kid for next year, both of whom could be late first or early second round draftees.

And if they really bottom out next year, there’s a top 3/5 rated SA KPF/Ruck to round out their KPP stocks.

There’s hope for Adelaide, it’s just long term.

Not sure how Champion Data can say we have 6 elite players (Zorko, Rich, Robinson, Lyons, Andrews, Neale) yet are the 11th best list in the comp? Never had much time for Champion Data anyway but it seems like a contradiction.

BTW I'd probably have Cameron and McCluggage over Robinson and Lyons but that's another discussion.

Just found an explanation, "the Lions here might be a victim of their own success and luck. With few fringe players getting very little time to shine, eight players sit in the below average category with two rated poor."

Not sure how Champion Data can say we have 6 elite players (Zorko, Rich, Robinson, Lyons, Andrews, Neale) yet are the 11th best list in the comp? Never had much time for Champion Data anyway but it seems like a contradiction.

BTW I'd probably have Cameron and McCluggage over Robinson and Lyons but that's another discussion.

Just found an explanation, "the Lions here might be a victim of their own success and luck. With few fringe players getting very little time to shine, eight players sit in the below average category with two rated poor."

zimages.jpg

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I’d say most of our youth having played very few or no AFL games accounts for the main reason. Or players like Adams, CEY and McCarthy while having been in the system for quite a few years, have relatively few games.

Basically we have very shallow recognised depth.

Where as Richmond have still been pumping games in to their youth, largely due to injuries.

Yep, I assumed the list rating was on the whole squad, not just the starting 18, makes sense going purely by the numbers, probably undersells us a fair bit tbh. And I think it also oversells the Hawks, the 10th best list in the league, one better than us. It wouldn't surprise me if the Hawks play finals this year, but I still think they're in a bit of no mans land, talked up in this article of being a shot for top 4. I think that's very optimistic. I'm sure there are other anomalies in the stats, but that one got my attention.

Yep, I assumed the list rating was on the whole squad, not just the starting 18, makes sense going purely by the numbers, probably undersells us a fair bit tbh. And I think it also oversells the Hawks, the 10th best list in the league, one better than us. It wouldn't surprise me if the Hawks play finals this year, but I still think they're in a bit of no mans land, talked up in this article of being a shot for top 4. I think that's very optimistic. I'm sure there are other anomalies in the stats, but that one got my attention.

I also think it's the whole squad who played a minimum number of games over the last two years, but can't remember the exact details.

Hawks seem to really be banking on players getting healthy and staying healthy, with Mitchell and Jon patton the two that come most readily to mind. If that happens and everyone plays cohesively from the get go they could be a top 4 team, but all it will take is a bit of a hiccup early in the season to knock them off pace. Suspect they'll be similar to last year, competing for a spot at 6/7/8, though they might well make it this time

Hawks seem to really be banking on players getting healthy and staying healthy, with Mitchell and Jon patton the two that come most readily to mind. If that happens and everyone plays cohesively from the get go they could be a top 4 team, but all it will take is a bit of a hiccup early in the season to knock them off pace. Suspect they'll be similar to last year, competing for a spot at 6/7/8, though they might well make it this time
Their midfield is intriguing in its possibilities. If they can get Mitchell, O’Meara and Scully all fully fit at the same time, if they get the best version of Wingard, if Worpel repeats or improves, if Smith gets back to his best.... There are some unknowns there (some bigger than others) but there’s certainly possibility among that group. The challenge for them is turning those “ifs” into reality. I have a few clubs in the category where everything has to go right for them to challenge in 2020 and Hawthorn is one of them. And it is hard to write off Clarkson because he’s got that ability to create game plans which challenge opponents.

It’s a BS article which makes little sense. 5 teams rising, 3 teams falling and the rest holding. That in itself is show the article for what it is. It’s a filler designed to keep people engaged during a long off season. Little valuable critical analysis in it.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

I wonder if we will see any sort of rotation policy this season. Possibly due to potential match ups, or to rest players during the season, so we have a fit and refreshed best 22 at the end of the regular season.

In terms of the defence, I see the something like the following if we’re playing a team with two or three genuine KPF’s.

Witherden, Payne, Gardiner
Ah Chee, Andrews, Rich
Bench: Answerth

If we’re playing a team with a smaller front line, we swap Payne out for Adams.

I wonder if we will see any sort of rotation policy this season. Possibly due to potential match ups, or to rest players during the season, so we have a fit and refreshed best 22 at the end of the regular season.

In terms of the defence, I see the something like the following if we’re playing a team with two or three genuine KPF’s.

Witherden, Payne, Gardiner
Ah Chee, Andrews, Rich
Bench: Answerth

If we have a good solid start to the year I definitely think we will see this particularly in the midfield.

Last year was all about consistency of team and cohesion, this year will be a bit more based around saving the best for last, so to speak. And I think we will see blokes rested a bit more often, a rotational policy if you like.
So the best 22 are as fresh as possible come finals. Fingers crossed 🤞

Last edited:
If we have a good solid start to the year I definitely think we will see this particularly in the midfield.

Last year was all about consistency of team and cohesion, this year will be a bit more based around saving the best for last, so to speak. And I think we will see blokes rested a bit more often, a rotational policy if you like.
So the best 22 are as fresh as possible come finals. Fingers crossed 🤞

A few of the Tigers best were out (albeit injured) at different times so that worked well for them

Baring injury i just can't see Payne getting a gig over Adams.

This is the issue with the guys that played well in the NEAFL in 2019. They need to take opportunities when presented in 2020.
At this time of the year all they can do is : train hard : perform very well in Club match simulations : stand out in preseason games.
If they don't make the round 1 team they can't even impress in the NEAFL as their first game is on Good Friday 10th April.
The Seniors play round 4 against Collingwood on the 9th being Easter Thursday.

So round 5 selections could be interesting depending on the win/loss ratio of the seniors.

Baring injury i just can't see Payne getting a gig over Adams.

This is the issue with the guys that played well in the NEAFL in 2019. They need to take opportunities when presented in 2020.
At this time of the year all they can do is : train hard : perform very well in Club match simulations : stand out in preseason games.
If they don't make the round 1 team they can't even impress in the NEAFL as their first game is on Good Friday 10th April.
The Seniors play round 4 against Collingwood on the 9th being Easter Thursday.

So round 5 selections could be interesting depending on the win/loss ratio of the seniors.
I reckon Adams gets the first few games to show he can play as a key defender. He played well against Hawkins in the Geelong game and then played poorly after that. Whether it was just getting tired at the end of the season or just not reading the game I don’t know. To me Payne is our future full back as he is taller great closing speed and can kick well. My only concern is can you play 4 talls in the back line? To me Adams is your third tall who use he strength and be an intercepting defender. He has great hands and clunks his marks. With Payne’s elite running ability can he play as a forward who can mark and kick a goal. He use to play as a forward in WA

Remove this Banner Ad

Back