Lions Season 2020

Remove this Banner Ad

I'm worried about our game plan being found out. Nothing much too it besides basically a territory game. The 6-6-6 really helped us out a lot. If we were against a 7 man defence like before the 6-6-6 rules we would not have played anywhere near as well as we did. Think clubs will learn to adapt for the new format.
What makes you think our game plan will be the same as last year?
They played nothing like that game style in the match practice the other day.

What makes you think our game plan will be the same as last year?
They played nothing like that game style in the match practice the other day.
will be 90% the same. When does a club drastically change a winning formula? Guess what? I went to some training when I was up in Brisbane last year over the preseason.... and we didn't train the way we played. Just FYI.

will be 90% the same. When does a club drastically change a winning formula? Guess what? I went to some training when I was up in Brisbane last year over the preseason.... and we didn't train the way we played. Just FYI.

Well Hodgey seems to be all over this, pretty sure he wont be backward in coming forwards with Fagan on the need to evolve.

"Luke Hodge says Brisbane must stay hungry and keep evolving from a tactical perspective to stay ahead of the curve."

"I think one thing that gets teams caught, and I know it did in 2008 with Hawthorn, is blokes are comfortable with where they are at and also if the game style doesn’t change, that you sort of get left behind."

"The motivation is there with the young Lions group but also the coaches realise that they need to continue to adapt the game style."

Players in the youth bracket don't have as much flexibility from a tactical standpoint. Guys like Witho bailey clug j berry Rayner Answerth or Payne in that role all have one more year in them. Fact is we didn't win a final. If we stay 90% the same we will do a melbourne

The coaches got together and changed the game plan after the bye last season to decrease turnovers by becoming more predictable as a team. They then went on to win 9 in a row.
So last pre-season they would not have been training the way they played in the second half of the season. Which I would imagine is the game plan that you are referring to?

Last edited:
The coaches got together and changed the game plan after the bye last season to decrease turnovers by becoming more predictable as a team. They then went on to win 9 in a row.
So last pre-season they would not have been training the way they played in the second half of the season. Which I would imagine is the game plan that you are referring to?
Game plan will evolve as you change your personnel and/or the personnel you have get more experienced ,stronger and smarter. It's not much use having a gameplan if you don't have the players who can execute it. We had a few avenues to goal last year but it wouldn't surprise me if we saw less of kicking deep to a pocket if McStay Hipwood and others strengthen up and improve.

But who knows .Two or three losses and you naturally rejig the game plan. What we did last year worked really well the majority of the time and only fell apart at the end when we came up against fiercer more disciplined opposition and we were getting tired.So in the end it wasn't really the gameplan that beat us it was our inability to execute it for long enough against a team that broke the lines. The stage we were at nothing else would've worked either. The hope is that constantly improving our list and the players we have means that we can probably execute it better for longer and particularly evolve it into something more sustainable in big games.

How we played last year was a result of constant change on top of the players starting to really gel and understand what they were doing. We are a young team, and how we play is still developing. I think we will play largely the same way as last year, but there will be new elements. We were very slow and 1 dimensional when bringinf the ball out of our back half, it is no surprise we have been chasing speed and more offensive weapons so we can move the ball a bit quicker. Also think we are a team that is pretty damaging on turn overs, and intercept marking is still an area we are concentrating on.

Sometimes it isnt all about out smarting the other team or doing something new or different. It can be just doing simple things better then them. Our game plan last year was simple, and towards the back end they got a bit lazyand complacent, and let some of the creativity disappear from our game. Luckily we were so good at what we did it largely didnt matter.

I'm worried about our game plan being found out. Nothing much too it besides basically a territory game. The 6-6-6 really helped us out a lot. If we were against a 7 man defence like before the 6-6-6 rules we would not have played anywhere near as well as we did. Think clubs will learn to adapt for the new format.
The year before 6,6,6, came in we were already playing that set up more than any other club, Richmond were playing it the least of any club. I'm not sure it had that much effect in final results but certainly may affect margins in game. I'm sure someone has analysis on the effect. I personally thought it was good to have players lining up in position and wait have a few extra standing in the back line, made the game easier to explain to new supporters.

I'll go out on a limb here, the basis of our game plan is the self belief of our players that they can have a go. Listening to Fagan and the players to me it seems Fagan is all about self belief and empowerment to have a go. With those he sees potential in he seems to give them a hug and persists until their confidence builds - Rayner, J Lyons, McArthy, Adams etc. I think player like Charlie are given a general set of guidelines to play under but their natural flair comes from within themselves once they have confidence it's alright to express themselves. In RugbyLeague we have seen the game become methodical, its a systems based approach and sticking to the processes. Same for some AFL sides but I'm of the belief Fagan is a master of building player confidence so we see different players different week jumping out and we being less predictable. I think in the finals we tightened up in or minds which is understandable and will have learned from the experience. I just think overall our game plan has a few rules but isn't over descriptive, Fagan lets them play on instinct. That makes them exciting to watch, every player is in control of their own destiny.

I agree, something was said about focussing on your weapons and bringing that to your role. We're in a good spot because the talent we are developing should hopefully allow us to improve our game plan each week this year

I'll go out on a limb here, the basis of our game plan is the self belief of our players that they can have a go. Listening to Fagan and the players to me it seems Fagan is all about self belief and empowerment to have a go. With those he sees potential in he seems to give them a hug and persists until their confidence builds - Rayner, J Lyons, McArthy, Adams etc. I think player like Charlie are given a general set of guidelines to play under but their natural flair comes from within themselves once they have confidence it's alright to express themselves. In RugbyLeague we have seen the game become methodical, its a systems based approach and sticking to the processes. Same for some AFL sides but I'm of the belief Fagan is a master of building player confidence so we see different players different week jumping out and we being less predictable. I think in the finals we tightened up in or minds which is understandable and will have learned from the experience. I just think overall our game plan has a few rules but isn't over descriptive, Fagan lets them play on instinct. That makes them exciting to watch, every player is in control of their own destiny.
Yes Fagan was just the best choice for a Coach at that time for our Club.
I remember a interview with Daniel Rich in Fagan's first year at the Lions.
Not sure who it was but they asked Richie "what was your first conversation with the new coach"
Daniel's reply was something like " well the very first thing he said to me was Daniel your best years of football are ahead of you"

At this time Daniel had been in the AFL system for 8 years. Pick 7 in 2008 draft. Won rising star but from then on, i would have classed him as a good player for us but never got to the heights fans thought he would achieve. He struggled with the tag but was still a good player.
The year before Fagan arrived Rich was tagged in just about every game in 2016. I thing Daniel was a bit down in the dumps by years end.

In Fagan's first year he still played Rich in the midfield for the first 8 rounds. But from round 9 on as a permanent half back.
I actually see more improvement in Rich in 2020.

I agree that we looked to tighten up a bit and I think that we'd won 8 or 9 in a row to get us where we wanted to be , we just got a bit tired and some of our guys had niggles . The effort of getting the 2 home finals was always going to bring on a mental letdown when finals pressure was applied from top class opposition . Robbo going down hurt us but we can't complain overall injury wise. I just think Richmond and GWS had been there before a few times and just knew how to prepare themselves for the extra pressure and what to do.

Having said that we gave GWS a 4 goal start ,got robbed ,and still just got nutted on almost the final play of the game so we didn't do too badly.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I agree, something was said about focussing on your weapons and bringing that to your role. We're in a good spot because the talent we are developing should hopefully allow us to improve our game plan each week this year
The problem the Lions have this year is all the other teams know the game plan and many will try to replicate it. The Lions will need to evolve their game plan to improve. That’s what they will be doing in the off season . They will also be rotating a few more players through the firsts to give players a rest before the finals. Because a few of the players were exhausted by the end of the year.

The problem the Lions have this year is all the other teams know the game plan and many will try to replicate it. The Lions will need to evolve their game plan to improve. That’s what they will be doing in the off season . They will also be rotating a few more players through the firsts to give players a rest before the finals. Because a few of the players were exhausted by the end of the year.
I dearly hope we are in a position where we need to consider resting players before finals.

It's a beautiful place to be where we are now. It's also a beautiful issue to have the pressure from within for positions. If we have another great year with low injury rates the problem we will have is players banging on the door getting frustrated. We seem to have so much potential coming through, like back in 2002,2003 try days when people like Jason Gram and those went elsewhere for a game. In reality we might see 2 or 3 people change from last years team without injuries. A rotation system sound nice but it didn't really work in cricket as for the crunch games you want to fire every bullet you have and players being told to rest get demotivated as somewhere deep in their mind they think they were dropped. I certainly can see another NEAFL premiership coming, thats side is even better than last year. It's almost like gridiron I love to be able to run an offence and defence and have some games where we are running 10 blokes off and on to give them all a go. A really difficult year for the coaching staff to keep "bottom half" of the list motivated (said with all due respect) It's so great to be going into a year not discussing how many games we might win and talking in numbers around 5. This for me is the year, I believe we can go all the way just based on our own internal competitions.

It's a beautiful place to be where we are now. It's also a beautiful issue to have the pressure from within for positions. If we have another great year with low injury rates the problem we will have is players banging on the door getting frustrated. We seem to have so much potential coming through, like back in 2002,2003 try days when people like Jason Gram and those went elsewhere for a game. In reality we might see 2 or 3 people change from last years team without injuries. A rotation system sound nice but it didn't really work in cricket as for the crunch games you want to fire every bullet you have and players being told to rest get demotivated as somewhere deep in their mind they think they were dropped. I certainly can see another NEAFL premiership coming, thats side is even better than last year. It's almost like gridiron I love to be able to run an offence and defence and have some games where we are running 10 blokes off and on to give them all a go. A really difficult year for the coaching staff to keep "bottom half" of the list motivated (said with all due respect) It's so great to be going into a year not discussing how many games we might win and talking in numbers around 5. This for me is the year, I believe we can go all the way just based on our own internal competitions.
Noy sure that the team is better than last year (NEAFL). We lost a lot of NEAFL talent. Keays and Bastinac were dominating the entire season.

Noy sure that the team is better than last year (NEAFL). We lost a lot of NEAFL talent. Keays and Bastinac were dominating the entire season.
Yeah, but the seconds are gaining Mathieson and either Answerth or Witherden from the first team, if CEY, Birchall and Ah Chee walk in to the first team.

It will also be a bit more balanced with Walker and Robertson replaced by running defenders.

Our main competition likely comes from GWS and GC, with them having a few too many talented youngsters to all play in their first teams.

But we’ll still have a few experienced players as mainstays of the reserves.

Haven't been around alot or followed our off season as usual. But I just seen the latest vlog. Key take aways are how happy the boys are. I know they are living the dream but they just seem to feed off everyone else's energy. Plus how good does Rayner look. Fit as a fiddle. Big year for him for sure.

Oh and I haven't received my membership yet. But that will get sorted some way.

Bastinac, Robertson, Walker, Cutler, Keays and Taylor represent a fair slice of experience (and talent) at NEAFL level. Think we will struggle to go back to back, even with the additions.

It is an interesting predicament the Lions are in where they have around a dozen players vying for a position in the side. Their are a number of payers that need to be trialled in the firsts so it will be a balancing act to see how the coaching group do this. I reckon it will depend on how the 1sts are playing so if they are winning then the team will stay the same but if we lose they will introduce new players. Of course it will also depend on injuries. We have lost half a dozen senior players from the reserves team and replaced them with 3 role players who,will be vying for a game in the firsts. This only gives us a small deficit so,there is no reason why the reserves won’t be competitive again this year.

No doubt I am in the old dodger category but I think game plans are overrated.
I think it was Yabby Jeans who said there are three phases in footy, you have the ball, they have the ball or it's in dispute.
Anything else is irrelevant.

Yep - Simple yet spot on.

To expand on it - in my eyes the best teams when they have the ball are composed and convert at a good rate.

When they don’t have the ball they put pressure on or set up behind the ball most effectively.

Ball in dispute the best teams not only win it more often than not, their teammates are already banking on them winning it and are on the end of a chain.

I reckon we’ve got the bones of the 3 pillars if you will.. just need to convert better.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back