Lions Season 2020

Remove this Banner Ad

If Stef doesn't come up I wouldn't give up on Oscar just yet as a No.1 ruck because he has a great work ethic and the improvement from when he first came on the list to here is astronomical.

I'd have Eagles as a second string ,unlikely as that seems . You know what you're going to get every time he runs out. He's a better player than most think. But likely he's in trouble with list cuts.

If Stef doesn't come up I wouldn't give up on Oscar just yet as a No.1 ruck because he has a great work ethic and the improvement from when he first came on the list to here is astronomical.

I'd have Eagles as a second string ,unlikely as that seems . You know what you're going to get every time he runs out. He's a better player than most think. But likely he's in trouble with list cuts.

Truth is if you give the Stef bot a spell he will likely play for another 4 years :thumbsu:

Watching Danger smash us in the third quarter last night, it occurred to me, that a lot of our mids are still kids, that don’t really have a mans body or stamina yet.

The Berry brothers have a reputation for being as hard as a cats head, and while Bez might have a big physique, he doesn’t always use it the way Danger or Cripps does.

Despite his size, that’s not really Cam Ellis-Yolmen’s game either. He can provide blocks, and help protect Neale or Zorko around the ball, but he’s never been able to do a run with job on the bigger mids, to curtail their influence.

Until we see what Ely Smith can do, it looks like our midfield is still missing that big body that can run through opposition players.

Unless he’s injured, it does concern me somewhat that we took Mathieson down to Sydney, rather than Ely Smith.

Ely might be further away from the first team than many of us hoped he would be.

Watching Danger smash us in the third quarter last night, it occurred to me, that a lot of our mids are still kids, that don’t really have a mans body or stamina yet.

The Berry brothers have a reputation for being as hard as a cats head, and while Bez might have a big physique, he doesn’t always use it the way Danger or Cripps does.

Despite his size, that’s not really Cam Ellis-Yolmen’s game either. He can provide blocks, and help protect Neale or Zorko around the ball, but he’s never been able to do a run with job on the bigger mids, to curtail their influence.

Until we see what Ely Smith can do, it looks like our midfield is still missing that big body that can run through opposition players.

Unless he’s injured, it does concern me somewhat that we took Mathieson down to Sydney, rather than Ely Smith.

Ely might be further away from the first team than many of us hoped he would be.
Sam Powell-Pepper OOC this year? Brayden Sier OOC 2021?

And I still don’t know why Jack Payne hasn’t got a look in.

We recruited Marcus Adams to play as the second tall defender, meaning Gardiner could play as a third tall, or on medium forwards.

When Steph Martin went down, we brought Archie in, as Fagan looks to be committed to two rucks.

Surely, for our defensive structures and assignments, it would make more sense to bring in a proper tall defender to cover for the injured Adams.

I can only think, that adding three new defenders to the back 7, is too much inexperience.

In which case, I’d prefer to drop either Ah Chee, or preferably Birchall.

Sam Powell-Pepper OOC this year? Brayden Sier OOC 2021?
I was actually going to mention, a SPP type who actually had a footy brain and composure was what we need.

But I wouldn’t touch SPP with a barge pole.

And Phil Inn Sier is another typical Collingwood campaigner, who’s character doesn’t fit our clubs ethos.

Rayner seems to be keeping his feet and getting clean handballs away even when being brought down by multiple tacklers, could he be the one if he was put there more? He's quick off the mark and has good controlled aggression to keep focused and hold his position, plus good vision and decisiveness to use the ball when he wins it. Robertson looked like he had beefed right up a couple of months ago, and was clearly focussed on disposals in tight during a praccy match I saw, maybe he ends up going past Lyons at some point. Unless something has come up I would think he should debut soon, although would no doubt still take time to get battle hardened.

We will have a great draw for the rest of the season, after the game against the Giants next weekend we will only have the Suns, Swans and Melbourne based sides left to play.

With the way things are going in Victoria all 8 games remaining against Melbourne sides will either be at the Gabba or a neutral venue :D.

Last edited:
They won't all be at the gabba, they will be mindful not to give us too many home games.

Can see us hub hopping to play a few Vic teams. Also think they will leave some vic games for end of the season in case they get footy back there.

They won't all be at the gabba, they will be mindful not to give us too many home games.

Can see us hub hopping to play a few Vic teams. Also think they will leave some vic games for end of the season in case they get footy back there.
Given the current layout we'll probably end up tacking a game against Melbourne down here as we've played the other NSW-based Melbourne team (Hawthorn). I suspect we'd split the Qld-based Melbourne teams between the Gabba and Metricon at that point (maybe front-loading the Gabba in case Victoria re-opens). Sydney and the Suns will be held in the back pocket because they're still easy ones at this stage.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Well we need to preform away , two games away two easy loses . Need to get it together and perform for 4 qtrs . Playing a great 20 minutes won’t win many games. And a good dose of pig ! Hard at it in close

that should do it !

Expecting us to finish strong again this year. We were in the middle reaches of the 8 last season until coming home with a wet sail in the last 8 rounds or so which included some very good wins away from home.

And I still don’t know why Jack Payne hasn’t got a look in.

We recruited Marcus Adams to play as the second tall defender, meaning Gardiner could play as a third tall, or on medium forwards.

When Steph Martin went down, we brought Archie in, as Fagan looks to be committed to two rucks.

Surely, for our defensive structures and assignments, it would make more sense to bring in a proper tall defender to cover for the injured Adams.

I can only think, that adding three new defenders to the back 7, is too much inexperience.

In which case, I’d prefer to drop either Ah Chee, or preferably Birchall.
yes agree, but payne is not the brother in-law of the skipper

With GWS going down to Port, tipping next weeks result is difficult. Speed is a concern against GWS so I guess we may see if Birchall or Lester have credits in the bank with Fagan at selection after suboptimal performances against the Cats, and decisions about the list size and longer term starting to feature front of mind.

Ive been reflecting on how good it is however that we have Fagan and Noble in charge, you'd trust them to turn this weeks very disappointing performance into a big response and growth, and unlike the woes of past years we have bigger, more experienced bodies able to respond. We are not taken lightly anymore at least, and that is something I am not taking for granted as the past years of having no credibility have truly sucked at times. That we can trust the group to play with pride and not make this week characteristic is actually worth a hell of a lot I think.

Really looking forward to seeing how the boys respond this week, let's get this show back on the road!

After 1 loss we've gone from Premiership favourite to 6th favourite. Bookmakers are way too fickle in their long term markets!

We failed our first proper test in prime time on a big stage. Its understandable.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back