Lions Season 2020

Remove this Banner Ad

Well done on the win guys I have a question

Witherden where is he at couple weeks ago I thought he was starting to really cement himself as a best 22 now is dropped?

Anything more to it?

Others ahead of him...

Witherden where is he at couple weeks ago I thought he was starting to really cement himself as a best 22 now is dropped?

Anything more to it?

Was dropped when Rich came back, didn't help that he had a poor game against St. Kilda where he had a few moments where he lacked urgency and made a few poor decisions. Probably competing for a spot against Birchall.

Anything more to it?

Hard to play all three of witho, birch and richy in the same backline given they all play pretty much the same role

Of course he was, he was just dying to play another year predominantly in the seconds with no clear path to being consistent first 22 in the absence of injuries. That's the kind of opportunity afl players wait their whole career for, but the lions dastardly had to push him out, leaving him no choice but to take the chance to be consistent best 22 for a team that needed what he could provide as a senior player for likely more money than we would have been willing to offer :think:;)
Adams can’t get on the park, he never has yet we pay him a half a million to do squat. Sure it forced Walker out but I’d rather pay him than a bloke who can’t get on the park and probably never will play more than half a season so Walker would’ve played most games anyway.

Adams can’t get on the park, he never has yet we pay him a half a million to do squat. Sure it forced Walker out but I’d rather pay him than a bloke who can’t get on the park and probably never will play more than half a season so Walker would’ve played most games anyway.

They weren’t competing for the same spot. This should be obvious

So walker was forced out by our recruitment of a guy who can't get on the park and yet still somehow forced him to go elsewhere to get consistent best 22 opportunities?

Anything more to it?

Needs to tighten up his rebound kicking and go harder man on man.

So if Walker was on the list, you honestly believe they wouldn’t have gone with Walker as Adams replacement?

Yes. Just as we didn’t replace him with a tall this year.

Walker is only capable of playing on the slow forwards. He stated that in the reserves last year he had to work on playing on more mobile forwards which means most weeks he throws off the balance in our defence especially as we’d like to free up Andrews. Which is made tough when the other key back gets shown up by Taylor Walker.

So if Walker was on the list, you honestly believe they wouldn’t have gone with Walker as Adams replacement?

Lester had replaced Walker in the backline by around rd 9-10 last year. I think Walker got a week or two back in the team when Harris had a hammy strain and then up forward when Hipwood missed a week.

Lester would have been in the team ahead of Walker this year as well.

Everyone loves to harp on Adams for the rd 23 Richmond game and forget that he got 10 coaches votes and kept Hawkins goalless the week before. Injury risk aside (which is substantial and not at all ideal), he's a clear class above walker and lester, though froggy has performed well this year.

Lester had replaced Walker in the backline by around rd 9-10 last year. I think Walker got a week or two back in the team when Harris had a hammy strain and then up forward when Hipwood missed a week.

Lester would have been in the team ahead of Walker this year as well.

Everyone loves to harp on Adams for the rd 23 Richmond game and forget that he got 10 coaches votes and kept Hawkins goalless the week before. Injury risk aside (which is substantial and not at all ideal), he's a clear class above walker and lester, though froggy has performed well this year.
I'm not giving up on Adams yet either. No one could've stopped Reiwoldt in that Richmond game ,they just brought it in too quickly with too much precision.

I'll pass judgement on Adams when he gets a few games injury free. Of course we're all hoping that that happens.

Seriously, devastated for you losing Andrews at this point. (One of my fave players).

Silver lining I guess is that Andrews doesn’t miss grand final if you make it. Would be cruel to Andrews if you won a premiership without the best defender in the league.
Would say the same for NicNat.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Our conditioning staff have a history of stating the worse and ...viola these boys tend to come back a bit earlier. Thinking Andrews comes in the qualifying final. We would need a week off more then ever again

Lester is best 22 in a side with a defence general.
I wonder how he’ll go without Harris.
Lester has a great football mind and a lot of leadership skills - there's a reason he's in the LG. Probably kept his career alive through being a NEAFL captain before making it back into best 22 this year. He'll be fine.

Lester has a great football mind and a lot of leadership skills - there's a reason he's in the LG. Probably kept his career alive through being a NEAFL captain before making it back into best 22 this year. He'll be fine.

Ryan Lester is the most unappreciated and undervalued player ever to wear the Lions colours

Before this season, you would've had our 2016 draft class well ahead of where the 2017 class were at (makes sense given the extra year of development), however some of the 2017 have taken some huge strides this year.

McCluggage
Berry
Witherden
Cox
Allison
C. Lyons
Hinge
McInerney

Rayner
Bailey
Starcevich
Wooller
Ballenden
Payne

Six comfortably players in our best 22 (3 from each draft). Throw in a couple of the trades from 2017 which brought in Hodge and Cameron (who we traded for pick 12, a pick we traded for in 2016), and those were two big years for the club.

Also while not drafted in 2017 Fullarton would have been in the same draft class as Rayner & co

Ryan Lester is the most unappreciated and undervalued player ever to wear the Lions colours

Oh please, James Hawksley come on down.

Back on track: Veteran Lion could make finals return
VETERAN ruckman Stefan Martin is on track to return for Brisbane's finals campaign as he continues to make good progress from a back injury. Martin has missed the Lions' past seven matches, recovering from stress fractures, with Oscar McInerney excelling in his absence as the No.1 ruckman.

But Brisbane's football manager David Noble says Martin is almost ready to put his hand up for a recall. "Stef was running on Saturday before our practice match with Collingwood. He's actually moving along really well," Noble said. "If there's some good progression with him in the next couple of weeks, we might be able to squeeze a practice match in with him before the bye (ahead of finals), which would be pretty encouraging. "That's where it is today, we don't know if he gets a little setback or it takes a little longer, but we're really comfortable with the loads he's getting up to."

Just a day after AFL.com.au revealed Virgin Australia AFL All Australian defender Harris Andrews would be missing for up to six weeks with a hamstring injury, it was mixed news on the medical front for the Lions as they continue to juggle their big-man stocks. Archie Smith has now played two practice matches on return from an ankle problem and is in the frame to replace youngster Tom Fullarton (quad) and partner McInerney against Gold Coast on Wednesday night.
1599448883336.png

Remove this Banner Ad

Back