briztoon

Wannabe Draft Nuffie
Nov 28, 2015
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
NUFC, Philadelphia 76'ers
Massive fines? None of them did during the mid-part of the season.

Basically, this has worked fine during the season but now, apparently because its finals, it doesn't work anymore.
How long did clubs stay in WA for during the season?

What did they do once the 14 day quarantine was up?

There’s more at stake during finals, and there should be equity in such a situation.

Let the Eagles stay in a quarantine hotel, under the same conditions as who ever they’re playing.

swingdog

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 3, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
West Coast
I think also it is because the other team has to fly in a week before the game and quarantine during that period.
SA you can fly in and out.
So if a team has to fly to Perth they have to uproot themselves And move everything over there for a week and then do it all again a week later after the game to come back to a hub in Qld.

Aren't we getting a bye before finals? I think that's what that might be for.

swingdog

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 3, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
West Coast
So the same measures here then. It’s worked mostly fine here as well, except for Richmond.

So you don’t actually know if the players and clubs are confined to the floor they’re staying on or not? Or if players are confined to their rooms, and what restrictions they have on visiting each other’s rooms.

And you’re still refusing to concede these are harsher conditions compared to Eagle’s players quarantining at home.

Of course it's harsher just as it's harsher for the interstate clubs in Queensland.

swingdog

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 3, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
West Coast
How long did clubs stay in WA for during the season?

What did they do once the 14 day quarantine was up?

There’s more at stake during finals, and there should be equity in such a situation.

Let the Eagles stay in a quarantine hotel, under the same conditions as who ever they’re playing.

Which the club has said they're willing to do.

Aren't we getting a bye before finals? I think that's what that might be for.
We did you guys a favour by beating Collingwood so even with another loss you will finish 5th or 6th and a chance of your home final.
You guys tanked just nicely enough the other day to stay out of the top 4 giving you a better chance of getting a home final.
Your Welcome.

swingdog

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 3, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
West Coast
We did you guys a favour by beating Collingwood so even with another loss you will finish 5th or 6th and a chance of your home final.
You guys tanked just nicely enough the other day to stay out of the top 4 giving you a better chance of getting a home final.
Your Welcome.

Home final or not, I don't think we're doing it this year. Too many injuries at the wrong end of the season.

Dylan12

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 7, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Chelsea, Boston Red Sox
Looks like we’re playing the Tigers 1st week of finals pending any upsets over the next week. Their defence is just too good.

Not necessarily. If we win our two remaining games and Port drop their game against Collingwood, we'll finish top and play whoever finishes fourth.

Conversely, if we do finish second and play Richmond in week one of the finals, what would you rather, playing Richmond in the first week of the finals or potentially having to play them in a Preliminary Final?

Apr 4, 2015
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Not necessarily. If we win our two remaining games and Port drop their game against Collingwood, we'll finish top and play whoever finishes fourth.

Conversely, if we do finish second and play Richmond in week one of the finals, what would you rather, playing Richmond in the first week of the finals or potentially having to play them in a Preliminary Final?
Happy to play them any time.

Given a fair crack from the umps we can beat them.

If we play well.

Oct 13, 2001
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Lions
Happy to play them any time.

Given a fair crack from the umps we can beat them.

If we play well.

We've had 25 and 21 scoring shots against them in our last two outings but shot ourselves in the foot with our (non) conversion

And a lot of our shocking misses resulted in goals down the other end.

If we can just clean up this part of our game we CAN beat them.

Apr 4, 2015
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
We've had 25 and 21 scoring shots against them in our last two outings but shot ourselves in the foot with our (non) conversion

100%

Plus they're getting that invincible arrogant feel about themselves. With Dimma getting nasty and angry about everyone else.

Of course it's all conjectural. We may not even play them again this year

M Malice

Hall of Famer
Aug 31, 2015
By the Gabba.
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Valleys. Chelsea.
If given a choice and we have to play the Tigers at some stage during the finals I'd plump for a meeting in the Grand Final as my preference. Key to beating the Tigers for us IMO is-

1- Intense pressure around the contest, no loose man on the outside for them.
2- They set up so well behind the ball, please do not continually bomb it in long, nearly all of their defenders can crash in to a contest 3rd man up and mark or spoil and then set up a surging rebound from D50.
3- What could be the most difficult... take your chances. They are the best side at the old 12 point turn around trick.
4- Do not be too cautious in attack, try and play fast if possible.
5- Hipwood having a great game, at his best he is an almost impossible match up for any side.
6- The uncontrollable is going in with a full strength side, with our best available and in form we can beat them no doubt IMO.

I totally want to play them in QF. Win this round, even rest whoever needs to be rest against Carlton - a post season bye gives another extra week to recover, so get a healthy list to tackle Richmond in QF.

Sep 16, 2001
Behind the goals at the BSO
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Fitzroy, North
Sorry I forgot to include all the people that go to the races and marquees / enclosures (I've been guilty of this before when my firm has had them), yet don't actually watch a race or would even see a horse.
Dylan 12. Binge drinking is bad for you. I know, the game in '83 against North where Fitzroy won by a million I hit the bar in the Members tent very early an very hard. I know I was there but only remember how crook we all were the next day.

If given a choice and we have to play the Tigers at some stage during the finals I'd plump for a meeting in the Grand Final as my preference. Key to beating the Tigers for us IMO is-

1- Intense pressure around the contest, no loose man on the outside for them.
2- They set up so well behind the ball, please do not continually bomb it in long, nearly all of their defenders can crash in to a contest 3rd man up and mark or spoil and then set up a surging rebound from D50.
3- What could be the most difficult... take your chances. They are the best side at the old 12 point turn around trick.
4- Do not be too cautious in attack, try and play fast if possible.
5- Hipwood having a great game, at his best he is an almost impossible match up for any side.
6- The uncontrollable is going in with a full strength side, with our best available and in form we can beat them no doubt IMO.

Yeah, if we have to play them again then I hope it’s the grand final. I don’t know if we have improved from the team we were last year, we’re just different. Less reliant on Charlie and more willing to attack through the middle is the biggest differences.

The shorter games seems to suit us, we are capable of getting a 4-5 goal lead early in games and that’s been enough. We’ve also shown (far too many times keeping us fans on edge) that they can defend a lead strongly. The game against the Pies after half time and the last 1/4 and a bit against St. Kilda showed how well we can defend as a team. Just need to make the grand final and have Rayner play how he did on Wednesday and McStay to have his best game of the year and it’s ours 😝

Sep 16, 2001
Behind the goals at the BSO
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Fitzroy, North
My take on the season so far is largely very positive. We are second after all.

The big positives have been the development of the youngsters: Bailey, Answerth, Coleman and Payne.

The negatives for me have been the continued absence of Adams, and McStay's form, being a player who I have been hoping for some improvement, developing into a class tall forward ever since i saw him take a grab in the goal square at the MCG against Melbourne many years ago.

Everyone knows that I am a Walker booster but given Adam played OK (he had one good game which was about what we could expect after such a terrible run ) in the second half of last season, Walker was not a required player. Walker would have been useful as a back up ruckman this season but that is using the present to predict the past, so to speak.

The blokes we have tried as ruckmen, who are really key forwards, have not been a success but with Stef back for the finals I not worried.

One last point to annoy someone specially. North basically used the pick they got for Ryan Bastinac to get their McKay who did an Andrews on Port's Dixon the other week. I'm a big wrap for this McKay, a player to watch.

jackess

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts
Aug 10, 2005
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
My take on the season so far is largely very positive. We are second after all.

The big positives have been the development of the youngsters: Bailey, Answerth, Coleman and Payne.

The negatives for me have been the continued absence of Adams, and McStay's form, being a player who I have been hoping for some improvement, developing into a class tall forward ever since i saw him take a grab in the goal square at the MCG against Melbourne many years ago.

Everyone knows that I am a Walker booster but given Adam played OK (he had one good game which was about what we could expect after such a terrible run ) in the second half of last season, Walker was not a required player. Walker would have been useful as a back up ruckman this season but that is using the present to predict the past, so to speak.

The blokes we have tried as ruckmen, who are really key forwards, have not been a success but with Stef back for the finals I not worried.

One last point to annoy someone specially. North basically used the pick they got for Ryan Bastinac to get their McKay who did an Andrews on Port's Dixon the other week. I'm a big wrap for this McKay, a player to watch.

Pretty sure we wouldn't have had that pick because of the Hipwood bid

lions2010

Team Captain
Feb 2, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions

We can beat Richmond, as long as the umps dont continue to get sucked in by there staging.
That real dodgy free and 50 in last years QF against Richmond changed the whole momentum of the game, and it was soft as and typical.

Up until this point, we were smashing them.

Dec 1, 2013
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
We can beat Richmond, as long as the umps dont continue to get sucked in by there staging.
That real dodgy free and 50 in last years QF against Richmond changed the whole momentum of the game, and it was soft as and typical.

Up until this point, we were smashing them.
I still remember Riewoldt climb on Paynes back like a monkey and didn't get a free... wtf
And a throw by Martin in last years game that resulted in a goal and another throw by GWS that resulted in the winning goal.

Yeah, if we have to play them again then I hope it’s the grand final. I don’t know if we have improved from the team we were last year, we’re just different. Less reliant on Charlie and more willing to attack through the middle is the biggest differences.

The shorter games seems to suit us, we are capable of getting a 4-5 goal lead early in games and that’s been enough. We’ve also shown (far too many times keeping us fans on edge) that they can defend a lead strongly. The game against the Pies after half time and the last 1/4 and a bit against St. Kilda showed how well we can defend as a team. Just need to make the grand final and have Rayner play how he did on Wednesday and McStay to have his best game of the year and it’s ours 😝

The bolded bit is what I'm betting on to turn this around for us. Previously we were just focusing on converting our chances but didn't tweak the team or balance too far. With Payne getting more game time and Keidean in mix, we are starting to add different promising combinations now. I'm quite intrigued to see how we go against Richmond in finals.

Last edited:
Nov 26, 2018
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
If i didn't know better i swear we may have tanked ;) v Richmond in round 10.
Against the raining premiers and premiership favorites we named a side that realistically had no chance
We named a slow side compared to their known fast moving game style of Richmond.
Payne made his debut. Ballenden & Skinner were playing their 2nd game.
We kicked 4 goals 17 behinds to their 12 goal 10 behinds.
Our 5 worst players for the day were Ballenden, Skinner, Hipwood, CEY & Payne with 35 disposals between them with an average of 7 each.

If the Lions form hold steady in the next few weeks i like our chances against them in a final

Back