Dylan12

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 7, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Chelsea, Boston Red Sox
Yeah, if we have to play them again then I hope it’s the grand final.
If that is the case, I just hope we don't get belted like Adelaide and GWS did.

Clubs on the receiving end of batterings in Grand Finals have shown they don't recover well.

I am not sure 2020 is our window (of course, who wouldn't take a GF win if we were able) and I'd hate if a hiding at their hands in the GF resulted in a decline.

That's probably giving way too much credit to Richmond though.

Ralphy2017

Cancelled
Jul 16, 2017
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
The bolded bit is what I'm betting on to turn this around for us. Previously we were just focusing on converting our chances but didn't tweak the team or balance too far. With Payne getting more game time and Keidean in mix, we are starting to add different promising combinations now. I'm quite intrigued to see how we go against Richmond in finals.
I think Payne would have learnt a lot from the Richmond game, pushed under the ball a few times, and looked off the pace a few times, but lets be clear he was mostly marking CHOL whenever he went forward and then Riewoldt. So mostly marking Riewoldt in the first Q. Riewoldt scored 4 goals, one from Payne holding the ball but we all saw the 'saddle riding' 10 seconds earlier, the other 3 goals were when Payne was not marking him. Hopefully he has learnt from that game and can show continual improvement against Swans and Carlton. IF he plays well in the next two games I think he should stay in the side.
I have not given up on Collingwood beating Port in round 18 and we finish 1st, which means Geelong in QF semi.
Richmond showed last night that the Foxsports 'Hawkins Island' can be overcome.
I love the composure of Coleman and think he has to stay and offers so much, Bailey is playing so well and was named in AFLPA best 22 under 22, has good pace and backs himself. After three years Rayner is playing well and will be a gun.

Ralphy2017

Cancelled
Jul 16, 2017
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions

Must admit, I'm disappointed Starcevich didn't make the squad particularly with the likes of Ballard, Budarick, Ridley, Coffield and Day all making the squad.

agree. Think Starc has had a very good season, but might be in a position that has a bit of depth but I agree should be in there. Bit of hype around the youth of the Suns so might explain why some of those you have mentioned were named, even though Starc is better IMO

Oct 13, 2001
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Lions
Cam Rayner on The Roar Deal when asked about being OOC in 2021 > I'm going nowhere, I love it up here, we have put in a lot of hard work to go from the bottom of the ladder to near the top, I think we have some exciting times ahead.:heart::greenheart:

I've felt confident about Cam sticking fat since he signed the contract extension in his first year.

He always looks comfortable and happy with his team and his team mates.

He's really starting to blossom and I'm expecting huge things in the next year or two.

Cam Rayner on The Roar Deal when asked about being OOC in 2021 > I'm going nowhere, I love it up here, we have put in a lot of hard work to go from the bottom of the ladder to near the top, I think we have some exciting times ahead.:heart::greenheart:

He is a very good speaker.

Some other highlights for those who missed it.

Rayner started by directly addressing that there had been talk that him laughing after the missed goal was a sign of arrogance. He said it wasn’t, it was him shaking it off and resetting which is what they have been taught to do. Had a laugh with fagan after the game and they are all good, but he won’t ever do it again. Is particularly dirty that he didn’t use the 30s as with two on the bench it would have given his teammates a breather. I really liked they way he addressed this - calm, clear and direct.

In training they don’t focus on whether they score when they practice shots, but on the feel of the movement and connection with the ball. During a game when he missed a goal he felt he had leant back too far and he came off and Jed had observed the same. Was able to rectify and score on later shot, and is happy that improvement in process is continuing.

Was impressed with Coleman not only doing his role but also being comfortable enough while on the field to ask for direction and opinions and adapt accordingly.

Looking forward to an away trip as it’s good to spend time together as a group. Given its same day travel thinks it’s going to be a very late home.

He and Lyons a good thing going where they both get midfield and forward time. Thinks his strongest contribution is offensive skill so sees himself as forward/mid rather than moving totally into mid field (think he said eventually 70:30).

He hated being in the stand watching when he was injured. Just wanted to get out and help.

very close to his family and it’s tough they can’t come up cause they also love their footy and enjoy connecting with the other parents on home game weekends.

impressive young man. Knows his stuff, not shy about having an opinion but still bubbly and laughed a lot. I’m going to enjoy watching him play over the next decade plus

Maroon Monsoon

All Australian
Oct 1, 2019
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
So do people think Charlie has done enough to earn himself the AA small forward spot? For mine he's probably behind Dan butler but our level of team performance relative to the saints might get him over the line. maybe it comes down to who has more goals after next week?

Oct 13, 2015
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
So do people think Charlie has done enough to earn himself the AA small forward spot? For mine he's probably behind Dan butler but our level of team performance relative to the saints might get him over the line. maybe it comes down to who has more goals after next week?

I think he misses although a lot of the small forwards have fallen off in form the last 6 weeks.

M Malice

Hall of Famer
Aug 31, 2015
By the Gabba.
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Valleys. Chelsea.
Top 2 spot locked up with a game to go, great achievement by the club, it will be Tigers or Cats in the qualifying final at the Gabba.

Cats have the Swans and the Tigers the Crows in the last round so 3rd and 4th not changing, Eagles play North so they'll finish 5th.

I wonder if the CMO will up the allowable crowd for the 1st week of finals, I know they're aiming for 30,000+ for the Grand Final.

Oct 13, 2015
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
So assuming no further injuries and players coming back in, who misses out in finals? Hoping Harris is fit for week 2 or 3, I’d guess:

In: Stef, Berry, Starce, Linc, Harris

Out: Archie, Hinge, Cey, Payne, ???

For me that last spot is tough. Ah chee has been in the team all year but I’d be loath to leave out kiddy. Answerth has added to the backline as a lockdown defender which I think we will need.

May 3, 2005
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Scuderia Ferrari, Dallas Cowboys

nup

briztoon

Wannabe Draft Nuffie
Nov 28, 2015
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
NUFC, Philadelphia 76'ers
Top 2 spot locked up with a game to go, great achievement by the club, it will be Tigers or Cats in the qualifying final at the Gabba.

Cats have the Swans and the Tigers the Crows in the last round so 3rd and 4th not changing, Eagles play North so they'll finish 5th.

I wonder if the CMO will up the allowable crowd for the 1st week of finals, I know they're aiming for 30,000+ for the Grand Final.
Not while we still have new cases every second day. They all might be known contacts in quarantine, but our cmo is a cautious one.

M Malice

Hall of Famer
Aug 31, 2015
By the Gabba.
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Valleys. Chelsea.
Not while we still have new cases every second day. They all might be known contacts in quarantine, but our cmo is a cautious one.
I thought every single case has been from a known 1 source, I can not for the life of me see the difference between a 16,000 crowd as was there v Collingwood and an eg. 25,000 crowd. There is zero social distancing at the game anyway.

briztoon

Wannabe Draft Nuffie
Nov 28, 2015
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
I thought every single case has been from a known 1 source, I can not for the life of me see the difference between a 16,000 crowd as was there v Collingwood and an eg. 25,000 crowd. There is zero social distancing at the game anyway.
That’s not quite correct.

The origin was a single individual, but it has spread and fanned out, where there are now secondary and tertiary infection sources.

To the point that the cmo has split it in to two clusters, with the Ipswich hospital spread now considered a separate cluster to the youth detention centre cluster.

M Malice

Hall of Famer
Aug 31, 2015
By the Gabba.
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Valleys. Chelsea.
The thing that worries me the most going into finals is our lack of midfield depth and allowing the best opposition midfielders free to play their best.
At full strength and in form I think our midfield depth is fine and right up there with the best in the competition. What I am worried about is our tendency to leave a freeman at the stoppage for the opposition on the defensive side which we have as well, the Tigers particularly seem to be able to use that spare a lot more damaging than us and any other team.

M Malice

Hall of Famer
Aug 31, 2015
By the Gabba.
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Valleys. Chelsea.
That’s not quite correct.

The origin was a single individual, but it has spread and fanned out, where there are now secondary and tertiary infection sources.

To the point that the cmo has split it in to two clusters, with the Ipswich hospital spread now considered a separate cluster to the youth detention centre cluster.
I haven't been following it at as I don't watch news/current affairs shows at all, I was told this from a reliable source, I'll take your word for it and next time I see my source I'll have a chat about it.

briztoon

Wannabe Draft Nuffie
Nov 28, 2015
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
I haven't been following it at as I don't watch news/current affairs shows at all, I was told this from a reliable source, I'll take your word for it and next time I see my source I'll have a chat about it.
Just to clarify, did your source say every current case caught it directly from the first individual?

Or do you mean they know the source of each current case?

Apr 4, 2015
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
The thing that worries me the most going into finals is our lack of midfield depth and allowing the best opposition midfielders free to play their best.
That's what's got us in our recent finals games and our games against Richmond and Geelong this year.

At least you'd think we've had plenty of time to work out a plan.

Have to scroll down like 4 pages to even find out that the city's only AFL team has secured two home finals.

i just looked and couldn’t even find that story. I’ve stopped my next payment cause I’m sick of seeing articles about a train smash nrl club while the lions get virtually no coverage.

M Malice

Hall of Famer
Aug 31, 2015
By the Gabba.
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Valleys. Chelsea.
Just to clarify, did your source say every current case caught it directly from the first individual?

Or do you mean they know the source of each current case?
We didn't go in depth into it >

Me- Are the cases we have had over the last few weeks all from the same source?

Answer- Yes.

Anyway I'll leave the Covid talk to the appropriate thread in the Den and leave this one to celebrate and discuss our great 2020 footy wise.....so far.

MacMum

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 6, 2007
Ballarat
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Perhaps they are playing down AFL right now because of the backlash that's been happening up there......then hopefully ramp it up if/when Lions get into GF.

Perhaps...maybe...just a thought.

Back