Lions Season 2020

Remove this Banner Ad

So assuming no further injuries and players coming back in, who misses out in finals? Hoping Harris is fit for week 2 or 3, I’d guess:

In: Stef, Berry, Starce, Linc, Harris

Out: Archie, Hinge, Cey, Payne, ???

For me that last spot is tough. Ah chee has been in the team all year but I’d be loath to leave out kiddy. Answerth has added to the backline as a lockdown defender which I think we will need.

With one more pre-season, Kiddy could take over from Mitch Robbo on the wing. It could even happen by finals, but Fagan is likely to go for Mitch this year.

Perhaps they are playing down AFL right now because of the backlash that's been happening up there......then hopefully ramp it up if/when Lions get into GF.

Perhaps...maybe...just a thought.
Given the CM and their LNP meatpuppets are the ones stirring up the backlash, I doubt it.

There’s always a period after the end of the season where I feel a bit lost. Lack of structure that comes from knowing every weekend has a game to plan around.

this year the combination of my forced retirement, the condensed structure and the Brisbane centric afl means I’ve totally lost track of what day of the week it is, what month it is. Footy has taken over (thankfully).

Going to be a shocking let down at the end of this season.

Dylan12

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 7, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Chelsea, Boston Red Sox
There’s always a period after the end of the season where I feel a bit lost. Lack of structure that comes from knowing every weekend has a game to plan around.

this year the combination of my forced retirement, the condensed structure and the Brisbane centric afl means I’ve totally lost track of what day of the week it is, what month it is. Footy has taken over (thankfully).

Going to be a shocking let down at the end of this season.
At least the gap between this season ending and next season starting is a lot shorter if that's any consolation.

Funny watching The Couch and hearing Riewoldt talk about how we're not a legitimate chance. Some even saying we're less of a chance than Port.

Good. Doubt us at your own peril. Our Contested ball numbers will be fine come finals and our forwards are hitting form at the right time. We're #2 favourite in my book behind Richmond, but at the Gabba anything is possible.

Oct 13, 2015
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Funny watching The Couch and hearing Riewoldt talk about how we're not a legitimate chance. Some even saying we're less of a chance than Port.

Good. Doubt us at your own peril. Our Contested ball numbers will be fine come finals and our forwards are hitting form at the right time. We're #2 favourite in my book behind Richmond, but at the Gabba anything is possible.

I’m happy to agree that Geelong is also ahead of us but add me to the list of port and WC doubters.

M Malice

Hall of Famer
Aug 31, 2015
By the Gabba.
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Valleys. Chelsea.
Just finished watching last nights Footy Classified, a few times they mentioned the clubs in "real" contention for the flag this year ie. Cats, Tigers and Power, then the wild cards who could cause some damage ie. Eagles, Magpies and Bulldogs.

The only albeit peripheral mention of the Lions was right at the end of the show in a joke piece when a main radio commentator had to have a toilet break and Kane Cornes had to call the action in our game.

Unbloodybelievable.

Kevvo

Premium Platinum
Oct 17, 2013
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
I get it. Pundits like a manageable amount of controversy with minimum risk of egg on their face.

We’re an easy target for them. Despite being top-2 we’ve been in patchy form, haven’t beaten Richmond in aeons, lost our most important player and went out in straight sets last year. I still rate us a better chance than Port but it takes a few leaps of faith to imagine a premiership.

Betting markets generally have us third favourite. If you want an unbiased public take, I think that’s it.

Mar 13, 2013
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Bruins, Dodgers, Bulls, SEM Phoenix
Just finished watching last nights Footy Classified, a few times they mentioned the clubs in "real" contention for the flag this year ie. Cats, Tigers and Power, then the wild cards who could cause some damage ie. Eagles, Magpies and Bulldogs.

The only albeit peripheral mention of the Lions was right at the end of the show in a joke piece when a main radio commentator had to have a toilet break and Kane Cornes had to call the action in our game.

Unbloodybelievable.
I hope Fages plays that to the squad in the week leading up to the first final

(Log in to remove this ad.)

jackess

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts
Aug 10, 2005
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Brisbane Lions AFLW MVP Awards nominees

MVP:
Harris Andrews, Jarryd Lyons, Lachie Neale

Most Courageous: Oscar McInerney

Best First Year: Keidean Coleman

Best Captain: Dayne Zorko

Brisbane Lions AFLW MVP Awards nominees

MVP:
Harris Andrews, Jarryd Lyons, Lachie Neale

Best Captain: Dayne Zorko

AFLW?

M Malice

Hall of Famer
Aug 31, 2015
By the Gabba.
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Valleys. Chelsea.
With all the sycophantic love in the media for the Tigers, Cats, Bulldogs I'm thinking wouldn't it be good to have no Victorian side in the Grand Final, Lions v Port would sit nicely as long as we win of course.

Even better the Bulldogs could still miss finals with a loss to the Dockers this weekend.

Brisbane Lions

MVP: Harris Andrews, Jarryd Lyons, Lachie Neale

Captain: Dayne Zorko

Hard to argue with any of that.

Going in underdogs week 1 of final vs Richmond would actually be beneficial for us I think. I also think we are are much more mature team and can handle pressure better. We'll find out.
We have to beat Richmond if we play them. A Richmond supporter colleague at work said today, “can’t wait to play Brisbane in the finals,” with such confidence, that I couldn’t hack it if they beat us.

M Malice

Hall of Famer
Aug 31, 2015
By the Gabba.
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Valleys. Chelsea.
We have to beat Richmond if we play them. A Richmond supporter colleague at work said today, “can’t wait to play Brisbane in the finals,” with such confidence, that I couldn’t hack it if they beat us.
Richmond supporters have every right to be extremely confident against us unfortunately, last 3 games > Round 4 2018- 93 points, Round 23 2019- 27 points, QF 2019- 47 points.

IMO the Tigers and Cats are the ones to beat for the flag and the Eagles just behind because they are a 5 goal worse side away from Perth ATM. I'd have us next in line with Port behind us.

Only one way to change the understandable narrative that we are the Tigers bunnies.

CarterS

Brownlow Medallist
Jun 14, 2001
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Lions
Yep they and their supporters definitely have supreme confidence in their own ability and considering their record and form its justified. That said tho I actually think we'd be under less pressure because they'd start favourites.

Richmond supporters have every right to be extremely confident against us unfortunately, last 3 games > Round 4 2018- 93 points, Round 23 2019- 27 points, QF 2019- 47 points.

IMO the Tigers and Cats are the ones to beat for the flag and the Eagles just behind because they are a 5 goal worse side away from Perth ATM. I'd have us next in line with Port behind us.

Only one way to change the understandable narrative that we are the Tigers bunnies.
Did you psychologically wipe out the memory of this year’s humbling?

Jan 9, 2019
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions

The coaching & playing list have every confidence that they can beat Richmond and any other side in the competition. For me belief that they can beat Richmond goes a long way to getting on top when they next meet. They all have learned from last years finals appearances and will go into this one being more confident in what they need to do.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back