Preview lions v Cats at the Gabbatoir

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have been very confident of a win before all our games this season particularly at home, not so much this week, Cats are up and about and IMO we will have to be at our absolute best to beat them this week.

Big test for a mental resilience as much as our game style coming off of last week.

Most like him for that exact reason. He’ll be a role player and let game changers like Rayner get more involved
Not sure 10 touches does that. That’s not good enough. I’d rather Gunston who at least might kick a goal or 2. And let’s face it, what opposition is going “oh s**t Ah Chee is in who we going to play on him”?

Not sure 10 touches does that. That’s not good enough. I’d rather Gunston who at least might kick a goal or 2. And let’s face it, what opposition is going “oh s**t Ah Chee is in who we going to play on him”?

I think you’ve missed the point again

I think opposition clubs would be more worried playing us watching the Richmond game then they would any game that Gunston has played

I think you’ve missed the point again

I think opposition clubs would be more worried playing us watching the Richmond game then they would any game that Gunston has played
Plus opposition sides can target Gunston's lack of run on transition, can not really pick out a specific weakness with Ah Chee that can be obviously exploited.

IMO the easiest thing for opposition to exploit the way the game is played these days is a lack of pace.

I wonder if a left field selection could be to drop Lester, move Rayner back into that third defensive tall role and then bring Ah Chee in as the defensive forward.

For this round I'd bring Gardiner in if fit or even Joyce.

Gardiner played well on Cameron during last final. Payne and Andrews can play deep with one covering Hawkins and another doing the intercept work.

If Joyce plays I'll be asking him to use his muscle mass to wrestle Hawkins, while Payne goes with Cameron and Andrews free to intercept.

Rich and Lester emerging from our back line at full pelt View attachment 1744152

Maybe we play all 3 of our snails in Gunston, Lyons and Rich + our budding tortoise Froggy.:eek:
Just on Gunston i watched the replay and concentrated on who played wing and how much wing time Gunston actually played.
So, i was watching Gunston closely.
This was to be in reply to a 3KZ's post. But that thread was closed.
Posters on BF won't believe me, but he actually played a good game with regard to what he was required to do.

With regard to how slow is Gunston. Well, he is not quick, but he is running much better in his 2 recent games. This was noticeable when watching replay.

Player tracker for the Dees game, in total distance covered section. I can't copy the image to here.

Total distance covered: Andrews (played 100% of the game) 15.7 klm, Langdon 15.5, Hunter 15.4, McCluggage 15.3, Lever 14.7.
Total distance at high speed: Langdon 3.4 klm, McCluggage 2.8, Gunston 2.6, McKenna 2.4, Neal-Bullen 2.4.

The previous week McCluggage was the high speed number 1 with 2.6 klm the only Lions player in the top 5.

And please no comments about Gunston high speeds are slow anyhow. That would not be how it is determined.
I know it is not sprinting speed, repeat sprints, total sprints etc. But it is a reasonable guide that he is not as slow as most think he is.

Plus opposition sides can target Gunston's lack of run on transition, can not really pick out a specific weakness with Ah Chee that can be obviously exploited.

IMO the easiest thing for opposition to exploit the way the game is played these days is a lack of pace.
The biggest factor underestimated in footy is that it is a team game.

Every week we read about what the stars did ,goal of the day ,mark of the day ,whatever else ,who got the votes.

Without players who do whatever it takes to make it easier for your team to score and harder for the opposition you've got no hope.

A great team will always beat a team of great players.

Just on Gunston i watched the replay and concentrated on who played wing and how much wing time Gunston actually played.
So, i was watching Gunston closely.
This was to be in reply to a 3KZ's post. But that thread was closed.
Posters on BF won't believe me, but he actually played a good game with regard to what he was required to do.

With regard to how slow is Gunston. Well, he is not quick, but he is running much better in his 2 recent games. This was noticeable when watching replay.

Player tracker for the Dees game, in total distance covered section. I can't copy the image to here.

Total distance covered: Andrews (played 100% of the game) 15.7 klm, Langdon 15.5, Hunter 15.4, McCluggage 15.3, Lever 14.7.
Total distance at high speed: Langdon 3.4 klm, McCluggage 2.8, Gunston 2.6, McKenna 2.4, Neal-Bullen 2.4.

The previous week McCluggage was the high speed number 1 with 2.6 klm the only Lions player in the top 5.

And please no comments about Gunston high speeds are slow anyhow. That would not be how it is determined.
I know it is not sprinting speed, repeat sprints, total sprints etc. But it is a reasonable guide that he is not as slow as most think he is.
Good points S5, but by the eye test I still feel Gunston is slow, along with Lyons and Rich he appears to lag behind his opponent consistently when a turnover occurs.

This is the same issue we did with Melb. Why are we, the better team, trying to change things? It should be the other team “trying things” to beat us.
It was more to utilize Rayners skill and address one of our weaknesses. Adding another attacking half back that's faster and more reliable by foot then Lester, bring in a more defensive forward to increase our forward half defensive pressure by replacing Rayner with Ah Chee.

That third tall / interceptor role (Lester / Gardiner) is a role we could improve on IMO.

Good points S5, but by the eye test I still feel Gunston is slow, along with Lyons and Rich he appears to lag behind his opponent consistently when a turnover occurs.
It probably doesn't help that the guys he's trying to chase are often halfback flankers that are playing that position because they are exceptionally quick (e.g. Jayden Hunt, Salem, Rivers).

Sicily was probably a bit of an exception, Gunston was clearly struggling that day.

I can't see Gunston getting dropped anytime soon. Whilst I think Ah Chee would be a better inclusion overall in terms of team cohesion and balance, Gunston's hitting the scoreboard and providing a target which is better then what he was producing before his training block.

I would be fine with Gunston going if it freed up Rayner to play a more damaging role. It seems that for every game that Rayner plays like the one against Collingwood there are three or four games like the Melbourne one where he's a non-factor in the contest. We all know he's a surgeon with the footy, but I suppose it's just about him finding it more often and making the most of his touches.
Not hard to do to be fair. If Gunston keeps getting games because he bobs up for a goal or 2 a game then the coaching selection committee has failed. It means they are putting more stock in attack than defense - which we know is wrong because it is defense that has won premierships not attack. Imo, until the committee gets rid of loyalty based on when Fagan first joined and gets rid of players that don't join in defensively then we won't win a premiership. Players like Lyons (Honestly not even sure how he became best 22 over Robertson when Lyons was in the reserves and Robertson was playing seniors), Gunston, Berry (Senior enough that he shouldn't be playing 1 good game in every 3) and honestly l would have a hard chat with Bailey if he wants to join in defensively as well. I would move Rayner to Gunston's spot where it looked like he finally had a position.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I feel our best team is a team playing two talls and Rayner as a third tall. Because of this, I'd drop Gunston.

Still, expect we'll go with the three talls this week but am sure the coaches would be very cautious maintaining three talls if Rayner has another game where he struggles to get involved.

Fagan has also dropped Gunston(and Rich), they did not omit themselves that was just a ballsed up attempt to try and save some face for them.
Wasn't the narrative that they were 'managed' and elected to sit out. That's what the club said, hence why the team sheets didnt say they were dropped.

If you cant trust the club's info or teamsheets it puts out then it does make it difficult collating which players are dropped on a week to week basis.

Fagan has also dropped Gunston(and Rich), they did not omit themselves that was just a ballsed up attempt to try and save some face for them.

I reckon that backfired.

Instead of lions fans knowing he was dropped the entire footy community found out he was being played when he wasn't up to it. And it became a national taking point.

Personally, I'd have preferred the first.

If Joyce plays I'll be asking him to use his muscle mass to wrestle Hawkins, while Payne goes with Cameron and Andrews free to intercept.
Joyce was getting out muscled by that Ugle-Hagen against the Dogs, not sure how you expect him to then compete against Hawkins.

Used to love watching Marcus Adams take big Hawk :'(

Not hard to do to be fair. If Gunston keeps getting games because he bobs up for a goal or 2 a game then the coaching selection committee has failed. It means they are putting more stock in attack than defense - which we know is wrong because it is defense that has won premierships not attack. Imo, until the committee gets rid of loyalty based on when Fagan first joined and gets rid of players that don't join in defensively then we won't win a premiership. Players like Lyons (Honestly not even sure how he became best 22 over Robertson when Lyons was in the reserves and Robertson was playing seniors), Gunston, Berry (Senior enough that he shouldn't be playing 1 good game in every 3) and honestly l would have a hard chat with Bailey if he wants to join in defensively as well. I would move Rayner to Gunston's spot where it looked like he finally had a position.
We've had 2 or 3 years of being one of the best attacking teams in the comp who generally doesnt have an issue scoring. Our biggest weakness has always been the defensive run especially from the forwards. Over focus on who scores goals (similar to over focus on who got the ball) is a blind spot for so many people.

We generally struggle to identify the benefits of those defensive minded players who pressure and shut down others.

i might be misinterpreting your post but Payne was constantly in and out of the team in 2021, 2022. I think even dropped a few times in 2020 IIRC. As I said I might have misinterpreted your intent
I stand corrected, went back and checked; Payne has been omitted three times under Fagan; QF (2020), R 11(2022) and R19(2022). Every other time he’s come out of the team is due to injury.

Not sure how many saw it, but I thought David Kings segment on 360 last night was particularly good when analysing the keys for us beating Geelong.

Some of our tactics against Cats in the past have played right into there hands and the footage was pretty telling why we’ve lost 5 of the past 6 to them.

King said our coaches had a lot to learn if we are to beat them and I dare say that it’s not only the players that have to deliver if we’re any chance and given some of our past records in the coaches box, they have their work cut out.

Am expecting Rich to be named tonight to.

Not sure how many saw it, but I thought David Kings segment on 360 last night was particularly good when analysing the keys for us beating Geelong.

Some of our tactics against Cats in the past have played right into there hands and the footage was pretty telling why we’ve lost 5 of the past 6 to them.

King said our coaches had a lot to learn if we are to beat them and I dare say that it’s not only the players that have to deliver if we’re any chance and given some of our past records in the coaches box, they have their work cut out.

Am expecting Rich to be named tonight to.
If Rich is selected I'll be gobsmacked.

If Rich and Gunston are selected I'll be flabbergasted.

If Rich, Gunston and Lyons are selected I'll be dumbstruck.

If Rich, Gunston and Lyons are selected I'll be dumbstruck.
It won't matter if you are struck dumb there will be plenty of other folks to share on your behalf! ;)

Oh and the pre-team announcement Squiggle is:

Brisbane Lions
Brisbane Lions 87 - 74 Geelong
Geelong

Gabba (QLD)
HGA:
Brisbane Lions
+7.0 pts
Ins/Outs:
Brisbane Lions
+0.0 pts

Status