Unofficial Preview Lions v Demons AFLW Grand Final

Who were your five best players against Melbourne?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

I thought the second oval was to be smaller?
I'm less sure about that, but when I spoke to Jake Anson he was very specific about the main oval being smaller, being designed for women's football, and mentioned it being similarly shaped to Adelaide Oval. That being the case I would not have expected the second oval to be even smaller again.

If those dimensions are correct, then it's probably the case that Jake was referring to the fact that the ground is long and skinny like Adelaide Oval rather than the exact dimensions. I'm surprised that the oval seems to be slightly longer than the Gabba though. I wonder if the boundary will be brought in from the goal ends at all.

Lots of whinging on FB about the lack of seating, and not being able to bring in a folding chair.
I remember initially going to the AFLW at Hicky Park and lots of people taking camping chairs etc.
Then at one game they stopped the chairs. Was annoyed that one time, as i had to take chairs all the way back to the carpark
At least they have put the notice out this time so that is something

I think the chair restriction is for more uniform seating on The Hill,
People will sit on the grass with a blanket and or a cushion. Then there will be a group that are quite prepared to stand during the game at the back
If chairs were allowed, you could have people arriving early to take up a reasonably nice position on the hill and are set to watch the game.
Then a group with chairs set up in front blocking some or a lot of the playing area. This could happen all over the place
That then can have a domino effect with people standing to get a better view of the game. Or moving to another position if one is available

People buying tickets should have been aware of restricted seating.
Also, if you really need to sit down at the game get to the ground no later than Noon when the gates open
That should just about guarantee you get a seat around the boundary
The boundary seating looks like it is 3 tiers of seating. So that's a reasonable amount for most AFLW games but not so much for a GF.

People just need to be prepared for:
Travel time and where is your allocated parking. Check public transport train & bus times before & after the game
Seating. The vast majority will be out in the sun so water, hat, sunscreen, sunnies
The weather for Ipswich is predicted 35 degrees at game time, possibly cloudy with 10-20% chance of under 1mm rain

The last two games at Metricon the ladies from both teams were lucky as both days had a maximum of 26 with one of them at night
Sunday will be more like a Queensland November daytime temperature
If these temperatures eventuate the heat rule will be in place

Last edited:
I remember initially going to the AFLW at Hicky Park and lots of people taking camping chairs etc.
Then at one game they stopped the chairs. Was annoyed that one time, as i had to take chairs all the way back to the carpark
At least they have put the notice out this time so that is something

I think the chair restriction is for more uniform seating on The Hill,
People will sit on the grass with a blanket and or a cushion. Then there will be a group that are quite prepared to stand during the game at the back
If chairs were allowed, you could have people arriving early to take up a reasonably nice position on the hill and are set to watch the game.
Then a group with chairs set up in front blocking some or a lot of the playing area. This could happen all over the place
That then can have a domino effect with people standing to get a better view of the game. Or moving to another position if one is available

People buying tickets should have been aware of restricted seating.
Also, if you really need to sit down at the game get to the ground no later than Noon when the gates open
That should just about guarantee you get a seat around the boundary
The boundary seating looks like it is 3 tiers of seating. So that's a reasonable amount for most AFLW games but not so much for a GF.

People just need to be prepared for:
Travel time and where is your allocated parking. Check public transport train & bus times before & after the game
Seating. The vast majority will be out in the sun so water, hat, sunscreen, sunnies
The weather for Ipswich is predicted 35 degrees at game time, possibly cloudy with 10-20% chance of under 1mm rain

The last two games at Metricon the ladies from both teams were lucky as both days had a maximum of 26 with one of them at night
Sunday will be more like a Queensland November daytime temperature
If these temperatures eventuate the heat rule will be in place
With Springfield - those look to me like concrete steps surrounding the entire ground, presumably GA will just use those as chairs, it looks fine without

For those going tomorrow a map with toilets etc.

P3 parking not marked but it is top of screen, Eden Station Drive:- entry Gate 6
Park & Ride parking:- entry Gate 1

ICL_AFLW_2022_74382_AFLW-S7_GF_WayfindingMap_FA.png

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Melbourne side is unchanged also

Melbourne Demons (Coach: Mick Stinear)

B:
L.Birch, T.Gillard

HB: S.Heath, M.Gay, S.Goldrick

C: S.Lampard, T.Hanks, B.Mackin

HF: A.Bannan, K.Paxman, K.Hore

F: D.Pearce (c), T.Harris

Foll: L.Pearce, O.Purcell, E.West