Lions vs Cats vs Hawks - Which dynasty is the best?

Best dynasty???

• Cats

Votes: 234 21.2%
  • Hawks

Votes: 524 47.5%
  • Lions

Votes: 344 31.2%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Who's players spot in the AA team do you suggest Hodge takes?

Nice. 2013 was a s**t team the hawks would have pantsed if not for a bench full of good mids

Brisbane also not too many AAs nor Essendon 2000, they just didn’t ga ga over minor premiers like they did over Geelong.

Also if those AAs were warranted, doesnt it suggest the quality of the opposition in the era was weak?

Just 8 AAs in the hawks threepeat years. Would have been some of the most dominant grand final wins in a row for a long time

Last edited:

Personally I think the 2008 Hawks side defecates over any of the 2012-2015 versions given that after their 'flukey' 2008 flag they never got a look-in until the Geelong and St Kilda sides got old (Geelong and St Kilda's best players were on average 5 years older than the Hawks elite players)

Never-the-less the Cats somehow found themselves in a good winning position and if it wasn't for the kicking yips and some dubious coaching decisions by Bomba the 2008 GF would've have been over by half time.

One thing that most Geelong fans blind to the obvious will do consistently, is wheel out the 'kicking yips' cost us in 2008 line. Forget that Brisbane and Hawthorn both won 3 flags in a row, which is such an unbelievable achievement, when you take into consideration that Geelong's best ever team (which was an incredible playing group), could not even manage a back to back.

In 2008 Geelong were twice umpired back into the contest. The signs were there in the 1st Qtr, that Hawthorn were going to run away with the game. The trend in the game changed a little in the 2nd, back the other way in the 3rd, which was the same script that had begun in the 1st. It continued in the 4th.

The true aberration in the game was Geelong's second quarter. It begins and ends there for Geelong 'supremacy'. Kicking yips didn't cost Geelong the game, they were beaten by a superior opponent on the day. A team that was going to win the game, would need to rely on more than one semi-dominant quarter.

As for the lie that the Hawks only came on when the Saints and Cats waned.... Hawthorn's list fell apart after the 2008 flag. Four of our best players in that team didn't really play again, after having been key contributors for years (Williams, Croad, Campbell, Crawford). Other mid tier players got injuries they never recovered from that year (Ellis, Young, Ladson, Dew). That's 8 players right there who couldn't contribute again, and needed to be replaced.

But don't let facts get in the way of you re-writing history.

Does the fact that you’ve used one reasonable answer cancel out the fact that you’ve used one absolutely ludicrous one?

I'd say using that formula, you'd be needing to generate an inordinate number of well thought out posts before you could be considered back on an even keel Doris. You're notorious, have been for years.

Suggesting Andrew Mackie was ever more effective than Luke Hodge at anything, places you even further in the negative. Would love to see you start a poll on that one.

I'd say using that formula, you'd be needing to generate an inordinate number of well thought out posts before you could be considered back on an even keel Doris. You're notorious, have been for years.

Suggesting Andrew Mackie was ever more effective than Luke Hodge at anything, places you even further in the negative. Would love to see you start a poll on that one.

Doris?

You don’t even know who the f*** you’re replying to.
Never mind that I literally said in the post you quoted that one of the players mentioned (Mackie) would be entitled to be replaced by Hodge. The whole point of the post, though, was to highlight the fact that Enright gets replaced, hypothetically or realistically, by no-one.

You don’t even know who the f*** you’re replying to.
Never mind that I literally said in the post you quoted that one of the players mentioned (Mackie) would be entitled to be replaced by Hodge. The whole point of the post, though, was to highlight the fact that Enright gets replaced, hypothetically or realistically, by no-one.

At their best, it's Hodge over Enright every day of the week. That's at their best. I'd argue Enright more consistent than just about any player I've seen. Hodge had a career that started with injuries, and was interrupted by them, even when he kept playing. But at the top end of their game, Enright wasn't better than Hodge in any reality.

As for me not knowing who I'm responding to, that just might be an indication of the arguments in this thread.

It's nonsense to argue that a 3 peat isn't better than 3 flags won over alternating seasons, just as it's nonsense to try and talk down the standard of the opposition because a team is dominant.

Those are fool's arguments. It's easy for opposition to look average when they're up against a finals freak of nature.

The Lions were that, as were the Hawks. Name one year when the Hawks were overwhelmingly flag favourites in their premierships years?

Please, try and answer that. Might be a lesson in it for you.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

At their best, it's Hodge over Enright every day of the week. That's at their best. I'd argue Enright more consistent than just about any player I've seen. Hodge had a career that started with injuries, and was interrupted by them, even when he kept playing. But at the top end of their game, Enright wasn't better than Hodge in any reality.

As for me not knowing who I'm responding to, that just might be an indication of the arguments in this thread.

It's nonsense to argue that a 3 peat isn't better than 3 flags won over alternating seasons, just as it's nonsense to try and talk down the standard of the opposition because a team is dominant.

Those are fool's arguments. It's easy for opposition to look average when they're up against a finals freak of nature.

The Lions were that, as were the Hawks. Name one year when the Hawks were overwhelmingly flag favourites in their premierships years?

Please, try and answer that. Might be a lesson in it for you.

‘Every day of the week’ you’re going to leave out a player who has been mentioned alongside Bruce Doull as being perhaps the best ever in his position.

Yeah ok.

‘Every day of the week’ you’re going to leave out a player who has been mentioned alongside Bruce Doull as being perhaps the best ever in his position.

Yeah ok.

LOL, no way his best at Hodge's level. Hodge won games, and lifted the team around him at the same time.

Enright a true champion, I likely saw him play more than you did. But on their best days, it's Hodge.

LOL, no way his best at Hodge's level. Hodge won games, and lifted the team around him at the same time.

Enright a true champion, I likely saw him play more than you did. But on their best days, it's Hodge.

No you’re right. You would have watched far more of Enright than me. He never lifted his side. Like most 5 time all Australian, club game record holder, 3 time premiership players, he rarely if ever lifted his side.

And hey, let’s ignore the fact that in the 3-peat, Hodge was listed on the ruck line in two of them and on a half-forward flank in the third.

Ironically the lone flag he won as a defender was in 2008 when Enright was playing on the centre line.

I always thought the Brisbane team was a little bit over romanticised because they aren't such a nationally despised team but that winning streak from 2001 to a premiership and their continual amazing form in 2002 can't be forgotten.'

1. Geelong
2. Brisbane
3. Hawthorn

Not to take anything away from Hawthorn, they were absolutely amazing but whilst they won things, to me they didn't have the domination and invincibility of the other two.

Hawks are good.

Brissy were good.

Cats were awesome and an absolute pleasure to watch.

"We play the game as it should be played." And long may it remain so. :D
Lions were brutal, Cats were beautiful, Hawks were clinical. Very different styles, but unbelievable teams. If I had to pay money? Geelong for mine. 2007-2011 they were brilliant to watch.

No you’re right. You would have watched far more of Enright than me. He never lifted his side. Like most 5 time all Australian, club game record holder, 3 time premiership players, he rarely if ever lifted his side.

And hey, let’s ignore the fact that in the 3-peat, Hodge was listed on the ruck line in two of them and on a half-forward flank in the third.

Ironically the lone flag he won as a defender was in 2008 when Enright was playing on the centre line.
"Listed on the ruck line and on a half forward flank" :D

Rofl.

Does the fact that you’ve used one reasonable answer cancel out the fact that you’ve used one absolutely ludicrous one?
Enright was overlooked and underrated by everyone in the 2000s, but then everyone overcompensated for that and overrated him over his last 3 or 4 seasons. Those All Australian selections he received late in his career were charitable. Not saying he wasn't good, but I think the AA sectors were being generous. I thought Luke Hodge played at a higher level across half back and in the middle from 2013-2015. He was denied AA honours during these years because of his versatility.

There is nothing "ludicrous" about this opinion either.

Last edited:
Back